Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: ’80s non-top 40 hits, yet classics today Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 February 2008 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To MCT1,

Yes "Back In Time" got significant CHR/Top-40 play as the follow-up track to "Power Of Love".

I believe it charted on Radio & Records.

Andy

Edited by AndrewChouffi on 08 February 2008 at 9:23am
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 February 2008 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

AndrewChouffi wrote:
To MCT1,

Yes "Back In Time" got significant CHR/Top-40 play as the follow-up track to "Power Of Love".

It did chart on Radio & Records (possibly top 10).

Andy

Hmm, it's not listed on this Radio & Records page, which supposedly lists everything to ever chart in the top 40.

Huey Lewis Radio & Records songs

Edited by Brian W. on 07 February 2008 at 11:14pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

TimNeely
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 4:09am | IP Logged Quote TimNeely

MCT1 wrote:
(Tim's Goldmine price guides actually indicate that a 45 of "Never Say Goodbye" does exist, but it doesn't seem to have been available when the song was on the airplay chart, and it seems to be a very obscure release; I've never see one myself.)

A number was assigned, but no records or sleeves were pressed in America. My current 45 book has no value listed and a note underneath saying "Never released in U.S."

"Never Say Goodbye" was released as a 45 in at least the U.K., Australia, France and the Netherlands, however.

Back to Top View TimNeely's Profile Search for other posts by TimNeely

MCT1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote MCT1

Tim Neely wrote:
A number was assigned, but no records or sleeves were pressed in America. My current 45 book has no value listed and a note underneath saying "Never released in U.S."

I apologize for attributing information to you that's out of date; I guess I need to upgrade to a newer edition! I haven't because I use the books more as discography references than for the prices, but I guess my post can serve to show why one should buy a new price guide every few years. Even if you only use it for "old" information, that old information does get updated as new things come to light. I'm sure Pat can sympathize; he's making updates to his database on this web site all the time, but there are still people out there working off old hard copies of his book.      

I have two of your price guides, and after going back and checking, I notice that while one of them has a listing for a "Never Say Goodbye" 45 (the 3rd edition of the 45 rpm guide), the other (the post-1976 "Standard Catalog") does have a note stating that no U.S. release is known to exist. The latter guide was published several years ago, so this is clearly something that you had updated quite a while ago.     
Back to Top View MCT1's Profile Search for other posts by MCT1

MCT1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote MCT1

Brian W. wrote:
Hmm, it's not listed on this Radio & Records page, which supposedly lists everything to ever chart in the top 40.

Huey Lewis Radio & Records songs

Looking at that site, and assuming that the information on it is accurate, I'm confused at to what R&R's policy was on charting songs that weren't commercially available as singles. "Isn't She Lovely", which seems to have received heavy airplay on Top 40 stations when new, isn't listed. Neither is "Be Good Johnny", which at least in my area has to have been in the top 40 in airplay (I'd say probably more like top 20, maybe even briefly top 10). But Led Zeppelin's "All My Love", which chronologically falls in between the two of them, is. So are the later "Into The Groove" (which, to be fair, could have charted on the basis of its availability as a 12" B-side) and "Never Say Goodbye".

I also notice that Bon Jovi's "Edge Of A Broken Heart", which was not commercially released as a single, charted in the lower reaches of R&R's Top 40. I didn't mention it in my earlier post, but this song also scraped the bottom of the Top 40 on Billboard's airplay chart.

I'm really intrigued by this site's claim that "All My Love" hit #10 in R&R. If that accurately represents this song's popularity on Top 40 radio, it was probably Led Zeppelin's second-biggest pop hit, but nobody knows that because it was ineligible to chart in Billboard. Does anyone remember this song getting Top 40 airplay back in 1979? Did Atlantic do anything to promote it?

I was just starting to listen to Top 40 radio right around the time "All My Love" was out, and I have a vague memory of having heard it on the radio. When I first saw one of Joel Whitburn's chart books back in the mid '80s, however, I noticed that "Fool In The Rain" was shown as the hit from the In Through The Out Door album. I was suprised to see that, and can remember wondering if maybe this was some kind of two-sided hit with "All My Love" was the B-side. As I got into record collecting, I learned that wasn't the case, and that "All My Love" had in fact never come out on a single at all. All this made me think that my memory must have been mistaken; maybe it was "Fool In The Rain" that I remembered hearing on the radio. But if this web site is accurate, my memory probably was accurate. That "All My Love" was a pop radio hit would also explain while the album's lone commercially released single ("Fool In the Rain") didn't come out until so long after the album itself was released. I had always attributed that to Zeppelin just being an extremely album-oriented band, but maybe there was more to the story.           
Back to Top View MCT1's Profile Search for other posts by MCT1

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hi Brian,

Thank you for pointing out that R&R chart site!

I have caught a couple of errors on that site, so I'm going to have to rummage through my old R&Rs in the basement to see what I can find on that Huey Lewis track.

In the meantime I've edited my post above until I actually find the magazines from 1985.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hi MCT1,

Yes, "All My Love" received significant CHR/Top-40 play as the first (non)single from the album.

"Fool In The Rain" was the second charter (but first official commercial single) after "All My Love" received at least three months of airplay.

Andy

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

"We Said Hello Goodbye" by Phill Collins was a B-Side to "Don't Lose My Number" and got significant play in NY (I listened to all sorts of radio back then so I am not sure which stations played it). Anyone outside of NY remember hearing this.

While we are on this subject of B-Sides, how is it that a B-Side gets played anyway? I know it was done alot in the 50s and 60s, but very rarely did it happen in the 80s. A song like "We Said Hello Goodbye" is a good song, but no greater than any other B-Side or Album cut. So once again, how does a song like this end up getting airplay.

Thanks.
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Fetta, most promo 45s in the '50s and '60s contained both A- and B-sides, thus allowing the more adventurous deejays an opportunity to flip the bird, as it were. By the mid-'70s, most promos were stereo/mono A-side-only, preventing those rebellious radio folks from disrupting the labels' game plans.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I've seen an import 45 online for sale (like $50.00 or more) for "All My Love." The label time listed is 4:00, so some sort of edit must have been made. I'd be more than curious to see how the edit was achieved.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I remember when the soundtrack to Back To The Future came out in 1985, "Back In Time" was played a lot as an album track at a Top 40 I worked at.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

Thanks Yah Shure.....But in the 80s, I would assume that almost every DJ was following a playlists which doesnt allow for adventureous DJs. I just always wondered how a song like "We Said Hello Goodbye" got picked up at numerous stations without being released as a single (only as the B-Side of Don't Lose My Number)

Edited by Fetta on 08 February 2008 at 3:41pm
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

The last station I worked at that still had 45's in the studio was 1980. Then, a couple stations that had all carted music. I remember well the big rolls of tape we'd buy and make our own carts. Then, in 1982 and 1983, 45's played at a country station (all promos), LP's at an AOR. Loved the day I played the 12" for "Big Log" at 33. Speed was supposed to be 45, lol. Then, carted music again at a top 40 in '83-'86. By 1986, CD's made their way into studios. Got out of radio before the digital age hit.

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

"We Said Hello Goodbye" was picked up by some stations because it became a consensus cut from the album. Radio & Records didn't care about physical configurations; it was the reporting of actual airplay that they were concerned with. Some stations aired such consensus cuts on a limited basis in an effort to differentiate themselves from the competition.

John Fogerty's B-side, "Centerfield," began to emerge as a consensus cut from the album at about the time that the single's A-side, "Rock And Roll Girls," peaked at #20. "Centerfield" first charted as a B-side on the Hot 100 the same week that the A-side spent its twelfth and final week on the same chart. Although "Centerfield" (#44) wasn't a big hit as a single, it kept the album's momentum rolling right along. Today, most people would assume that it was the album's big hit.

Edited by Yah Shure on 08 February 2008 at 6:37pm

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

MCT1 wrote:

I'm really intrigued by this site's claim that "All My Love" hit #10 in R&R. If that accurately represents this song's popularity on Top 40 radio, it was probably Led Zeppelin's second-biggest pop hit, but nobody knows that because it was ineligible to chart in Billboard. Does anyone remember this song getting Top 40 airplay back in 1979? Did Atlantic do anything to promote it?

In the autumn of '79 I did weekends at a station that was (like many AMs at the time) not-quite Top 40, but not quite AC. We played "All My Love". It was carted, which was what they did with album cuts...I never saw a promo single of it either.

My "day job" entailed considerable travel, I remember hearing the song on T-40s in many cities.

I don't know whether Atlantic did anything to promote the song, but I'm guessing they did...after all it had been many years since Led Zep had a hit on top 40 radio...an album cut by them would not likely have been a "must add" like it would have on an AOR.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hi 'Yah Shure',

If I recall correctly "We Said Hello Goodbye" wasn't even on the LP in America (it might have been on the burgeoning CD format, though).

The track was strictly a B-side and to answer 'Fetta's' question as to why was it getting played when it wasn't an exceptional cut -- At the time Phil Collins was a HOT artist and stations were trying to play anything by him that their listeners' might think is "new music" as many of them owned all of his LPs.

Andy

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Yah Shure wrote:

John Fogerty's B-side, "Centerfield," began to emerge as a consensus cut from the album at about the time that the single's A-side, "Rock And Roll Girls," peaked at #20. "Centerfield" first charted as a B-side on the Hot 100 the same week that the A-side spent its twelfth and final week on the same chart.

Wasn't "Centerfield" issued as a separate release to radio? I'm pretty sure I have a mono/stereo copy of the single. Could it be that it was simply intended as a follow-up to R&RG (despite being on the flip side)?

Another one I've always wondered about is Bruce Springsteen's "Pink Cadillac"...a non-LP B side from an artist who prior to "Dancing In The Dark" was considered more of an album act than a CHR artist. Promo copies of DITD had the same song on both sides...if Columbia ever re-serviced the record to promote PC I wasn't aware of it.

Edited by Hykker on 08 February 2008 at 6:56pm
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Thanks for the correction, Andy!

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Hykker wrote:
Wasn't "Centerfield" issued as a separate release to radio? I'm pretty sure I have a mono/stereo copy of the single. Could it be that it was simply intended as a follow-up to R&RG (despite being on the flip side)?

Yes, it was (mine's a stereo/stereo promo 45.) I think Warners would have been crazy to ignore the fact that the track had emerged as a consensus cut, and because retail and jukeboxes already had the single, it was a no-brainer to service it to radio in the 45 format.

Whether or not it was ever designated as an "official" follow-up could be debated 'til the cows come home, I suppose, but because the two sides shared only one week on the chart (and at different positions) I agree: the song stood on its own. "Centerfield"'s so-so 45 chart performance could be a reflection that the track peaked on radio shortly after the single was flipped.

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

We Said Hello Goodbye does appear on the CD edition of No Jacket Required as well as the Soundtrack of Playing For Keeps. It seems like AC radio was jonesing for "fresh" Phil Collins tunes in the spring of '88...

Edited by cmmmbase on 08 February 2008 at 8:20pm
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version