Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "It’s My Life" - Talk Talk Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 26 June 2005 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Edtop40 has brought to my attention that the 45 version of Talk Talk's "It's My Life" is a remix of the LP version. I did an A/B comparison between the two and the 45 has a much more prominent bass guitar, louder percussion, and heavier reverb on the vocals. The 45 has an overall punchier, fuller sound while the LP version sounds hollow and tinny by contrast. Ed tells me his vinyl 45 copy states "remix" on the label. The 45 and LP both run 3:51.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 June 2005 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

By the description you've given, it sounds like this is similar to the way the 12" version is mixed. That version has louder percussion, and a lot of reverb on the vocals.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 June 2005 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

It sounds like a distinct possibility that the 45 version of "It's My Life" is an edit of the 12" version. I don't think the 45 version has ever appeared on CD, but what about the 12"? I notice in the 10th edition that there is a 5:57 version on the CD History Revisited - The Remixes (EMI 95965) with the comment "remix" listed next to it. Could this be the 12" version?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 June 2005 at 3:26am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Todd, I checked the track listing and an album review of History Revisited, and that album has the "Tropical Rainforest Mix" of It's My Life, which is not the 12" mix. However, you can find the 12" version on a compilation called Classic Alternatives, Vol. 2. Also, I've heard two different 12" versions, one running 6:12 and the other 6:18. The one that runs 6:18 sounds more like a dub version. The one that sounds like what you've described above is the 6:12 one found on Classic Alternatives.

I actually own the box set of Classic Alternatives, which has all six volumes, and it can be found rather cheaply online. "It's My Life" on this CD sounds like it's probably from the master tape; however, some tracks were dubbed straight from the vinyl. I'll have to track down a copy of the 45 to see if the 12" can actually be edited to make the 45.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2006 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

aaron....i will include the actual 45 version on the next cdr i send you to see if the 45 remix version can be re-created from the 12" mix........

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2006 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the 45 states at the bottom of the 45's face "remix by steve thompson".....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ed, I believe that you ended up sending this to me a while back---or someone on the board did. I compared the 12" mix and 45 version, and although the mix is similar, there are parts of the 45 version that cannot be extracted from the 12" mix. The 45 version is a unique mix.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 September 2006 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Does anyone own the German CD single (circa 1990) of "It's My Life"? I've seen a track listing online, and the first track on the single is a non-described version running (3:56), or at least that's the printed time. Can anyone say if this is the LP or 45 mix?

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 October 2010 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

Anyone come up with any new info on, or hopefully found, the 45 mix on CD in the ensuing 4 years since this thread ended?

Edited by Indy500 on 14 October 2010 at 9:21pm
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

vinyljay69
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote vinyljay69

My copy of the It's My Life LP contains the 45 version of the title cut. There is no obvious marking in the runout groove that suggests it's a RE. Anyone else have this apparent variation? Or did the US edition always contain the remix?
Back to Top View vinyljay69's Profile Search for other posts by vinyljay69

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 March 2023 at 5:59am | IP Logged Quote mjb50

Aaron - I have the 1990 UK CD single, and it contains the album version. I'm sure the German one is the same.

Edited by mjb50 on 18 March 2023 at 6:20am
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version