Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Whitesnake - Is This Love - LP or Edit? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 June 2005 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I've seen commercial 45 copies of "Is This Love" by Whitesnake that have a printed run time of 4:44 (same as LP version). Are there two different commercial 45s, with one having a shorter version? In the book, listings for the song only indicate LP Version. Does anyone know the run time of the "edit" version and if it is only on a DJ 45?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 June 2005 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Aaron:

I don't know for sure, but I'm wondering if the 45 version of "Is This Love" might have been a different mix that ran approximately the same length of time as the LP version. I have no evidence to back this up though. Can anyone else shed some light on this?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 26 June 2005 at 9:01am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 June 2005 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

My dj copy of "Is This Love" states a running time of 3:38 and Whitburn lists the running time as 3:38.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 July 2005 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

After looking into this further, I cannot seem to find any commercial copies with a printed run time of anything other than (4:44), the LP version run time. I'm going to conclude that Whitburn is using the run time of the DJ 45, and that all commercial copies run (4:44) and have the LP version.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 July 2005 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Aaron:

There have been a few cases over the years where a commercial 45 has the LP version time printed on its label, yet in reality the 45 actually contains a shortened version (Bobby Bloom's "Montego Bay" and Ray Charles' "Don't Change on Me" are two examples). You might be right about the 45 and LP versions of "Is This Love" being identical, but we should probably wait to make the final call until someone can confirm the actual 45 run time.

Paul Esch
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 August 2005 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Esch

Hello--As this is my first posting, please excuse my taking so long
to join in on this topic, as I just recently discovered this site.
Anyway, I just finished comparing my vinyl 45 copy of "Is This Love"
with my CD copies of Whitesnake (Geffen 24099) and Greatest Hits
(Geffen 24620), and they all sound the same to my ears, and all
clock in at 4:43 to 4:44. Same intro length, same three tons of
reverb on the mix, and same guitar solos. The only problem is that
my 45 is the re-issue "Back-To-Back Hits" (Geffen 21902-SR 1). I
think this would be reliable, though.
Back to Top View Paul Esch's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Esch

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 July 2007 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Paul Esch wrote:
The only problem is that my 45 is the re-issue "Back-To-Back Hits" (Geffen 21902-SR 1). I think this would be reliable, though.

Actually, I've gotten dinged on the very same thing; the Sire reissue 45s of "White Horse" by Laid Back and "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell are the DJ edits and medley versions, respectively, which are different from the commercial 45s.

Back to "Is This Love"...

My commercial 45 has a printed time of 4:44 an actual run time of about 4:41, and a tempo of 90.3 BPM. By all accounts, it seems to be the LP version. (It lacks the "Original version available on the album ..." notation that "Here I Go Again" has on the label.)

This version appears on the following CDs:

Body Talk - Romantic Moments (Time-Life R834-18, 1998, mastered by Dennis Drake and the finest-sounding version I've found; total run time of 4:42)
Guitar Rock - Power Ballads (Time-Life R968-27, 1999, also m. by Dennis Drake and digitally exactly 0.5 dB quieter than above Body Talk CD; total run time of 4:45)
Sounds Of The Eighties - The Late '80s (Time-Life R988-19, 1996, slightly different EQ from above T-L CDs; total run time of 4:46)
Stud Rock - Wild Ride (Simitar 55762, 1998, mastering is slightly compressed; total run time of 4:45)
More Greatest Hits Of The 80's (Disky Communications [Europe] DB 854902, 2000, 8-CD set horrendously compressed/maximized mastering - to be avoided; total run time of 4:43)
Greatest Hits Of The 80s (Disky Communications [Europe] CB 791642, also an 8-CD set but not the partner to the above Disky set, also horrendously compressed/maximized mastering - to be avoided; total run time of 4:45)

There is a slightly shorter edit, which may be the UK single version; I say this because of the compilation CDs it appears on. This edit can be recreated by removing 32 beats of the guitar solo, beginning with the snare hit at 2:59 and including the region of 2:59-3:21, and a 32-beat fade starting at 4:01 (times are according to LP version). This edit appears to be the same mix as the LP version. It appears on:

Now 1987 (Virgin EMI PolyGram [UK] CD NOW 1987, released 1993, excellent mastering; total run time of 4:01)
The Hits Album 6 (BMG [UK] CD HITS 6, released 1987, mastering very good; total run time of 3:58)

There is an even shorter edit, which may be the US single DJ edit (which I don't have, but I guess due to this version's inclusion on The A-List). It can be created from the LP version by shortening the fade-in by about 10 seconds, removing 16 beats beginning with the snare hit at 0:17 and including the region of 0:17-0:28, removing 32 beats of the guitar solo, beginning with the downbeat after 2:59 and including the region of 2:59-3:21, and a 32-beat fade starting at 4:01 (times are according to LP version). This edit also sounds like the same mix as the LP version, is found on the following CDs:

The "A"-List Disc 42 (Swaitek a/v, released 1994, mastering may be from vinyl?, total run time is 3:44)
Rock This Way (Music By Mail/Warner Special Products OPCD-4562, released 1995, total run time is 3:41; mastering questionable - disc also includes unbelievably-bad-sounding version of John Parr's "Naughty Naughty")

Trying to think back to 1987 to what I heard on the radio, I heard either the UK single or the US DJ edit, because the guitar solo on the commercial 45 & LP is longer than I remember.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 05 July 2007 at 6:45pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 July 2007 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued in 1987 as geffen 28233 states a running time of 4:44 on the label but the version actually only runs 4:40 and is just a very slight fade of the full 4:44 cd/lp version from the "greatest hits" cd.......the 45 could actually run 4:44 because my 45 has some surface noise on it.....

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

According to abagon, the actual commercial 45 run time of Whitesnake's "Is This Love" is 4:41 not 4:44 as stated on the record label.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2020 at 3:05am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

For Whitesnake fans, there is an "Is This Love" 2020 remix
which could very have been made in those days by its sound.
It's track 3 of this single:

https://open.spotify.com/album/78bDBJmK74VOA902iW9jVT

Edited by elcoleccionista on 18 October 2020 at 3:08am
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 October 2020 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Interesting mix, but it makes you wonder "why bother?" It's not terribly different from the original, and it's not as good of a mix. The vocal compression has a very modern sound, which I'm not crazy about.

promojunkie
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote promojunkie

I think the 3:38 dj edit version of Is This Love also
appeared on a TM century disc. I don't have the disc
anymore but I do have a lossless rip from the disc and
matched it up with the promo 45 (Geffen Records ‎– 7-
28233-DJ). It is almost the same.

Edited by promojunkie on 19 October 2020 at 9:25am
Back to Top View promojunkie's Profile Search for other posts by promojunkie

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

For all practical purposes, yes, that's the promo edit on TM's library. Their edit point in the intro is off by one beat, but you'd never know unless doing a close A/B with the promo 45. The edit is on the downbeat (first beat of the measure) at 0:08.

promojunkie
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote promojunkie

Good catch Aaron. I wondered if the TM Century was a
vinyl 45 master or a re-create as the fade is slightly
longer and it seems pitched slightly faster (to my ears)
If you recreate the edit using the LP version and
precise edit and fade points of the vinyl 45, it does
not match up perfectly with tm's edit

Edited by promojunkie on 19 October 2020 at 2:13pm
Back to Top View promojunkie's Profile Search for other posts by promojunkie

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version