Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Beatles - "Got To Get You Into My Life" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 December 2007 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

On a couple of TM Century GoldDiscs, there is a listing for "Got To Get You Into My Life (1976 re-mix)." I have a copy of one of these and I cannot detect any difference between the "remix" and the original album version. Anyone familiar with this and can point out the difference?
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 December 2007 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

Here's what I can tell you: In 1976 when the Rock and Roll Music Album was being prepared producer George Martin did not like some of the early mixes of the Beatles material so he remixed some of the tracks in tighter stereo to give the songs more punch. "Twist and Shout", and "I Saw Her Standing There" are two examples.

"Got To Get You Into My Life" on that LP does not sound remixed at all, but they flipped the channels, probably by mistake, so instead of the horns being in the right channel like the American and British Revolver LPs, the horns were in the left channel. Some may have thought that it was a different mix, but it sounds like a channel flip to me on the Rock and Roll Music LP (Both issues, the original two record set and the later part one and two LPs)

HOWEVER for the single which was released to promote the LP, my DJ copy on both the stereo and mono sides has REVERB ADDED, which is unique to this single. I assume the stock 45 sounds the same.

I assume that George Martin probably had nothing to do with that since it's not like that on the LP, somebody at Capitol probably thought that the song was too dry. The reverb is noticable on the vocal and on the horns, and it's true stereo reverb, the horns that appear in the left channel reverb to the right especially in the horn only parts.

So I don't believe there was actually a 1976 remix, I think it was a channel swap on the Rock and Roll Music LP and reverb added to that channel flipped LP version for the single.

So does the TM century version feature the reverb? Or just the channel swap? Of course, TM Century could have tried to create the 45 version by adding stereo reverb.

Bill
Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 December 2007 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hi

Was going to chime in and answer the remix question but i saw Bill has, and yes it was only the 1976 45 issue that had the "remix" and all they did was add stereo reverb to it.
And yes, the Rock And Roll Music set merely swapped the channels on many or all of the tracks. Been years since i pulled it out so i don't recall if they were all swapped.

-MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 December 2007 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

How odd that they would bother reversing the channels, although like you mentioned, it could have been unintentional.

Anyhow, I played back the GoldDisc version (cut #31 on GoldDisc 609) and the horns are on the left side, however no reverb. So I take it that it's the "Rock And Roll Music" LP version.

Thanks for the good answers. I'd been wondering about this one for awhile.
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

MCT1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 December 2007 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote MCT1

The link below has some information about Rock and Roll Music relevant to this discussion – see the seventh paragraph, starting with “Capitol’s 2-LP set….”:

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/beatles/var-us.html

From what’s stated there, and from the information at the “Variations Guide” link at the bottom of that page, it looks like the author of the page has reached the following conclusions:

--When Rock And Roll Music was first released, it was promoted by the Beatles’ US label (Capitol) as having been remixed by George Martin. The “remixing” that Martin did involved working with the standard stereo master tapes that Capitol had in its possession, however (which were, with a few exceptions, the exact same mixes Capitol had been using since the ‘60s), not remixing from the multitracks. Only on the early songs originally done on 2-track is there any noticeable difference. If Martin did anything to the later material at all, it’s a case of what was recently termed here (in another thread) “when is a remix so subtle so as not to be noted as different”.

--The channel reversal was the result of “a simple and stupid error of crossing cables”.

--Unlike its U.S. counterpart, the original UK double-album does not use the 1976 Martin "remixes", but contains the same standard UK stereo remixes that had always been used up until that time. Post-1980 UK reissues, after the set was split into two single-albums, do use the same mixes as the U.S. version.

Unfortunately, the page does not discuss the 1976 45 of “Got To Get You Into My Life” at all.
Back to Top View MCT1's Profile Search for other posts by MCT1

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 December 2009 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Update on this song:

I have since purchased a stock copy of the 1976 "Got To Get You Into My Life" and the added reverb is indeed on the stock copy.

But Capitol did not add the reverb to the Rock and Roll Music LP that this song was released to promote.

So the single is a unique "single version" and should be noted in the database.

Also, with the release of the Beatles IN MONO boxed set, we now have the distinct mono LP version of "Got To Get You Into My Life" on CD. The difference is on the fade out, as there is different singing compared to the stereo version.

Here's a complete history on this track:

Got To Get You Into My Life (stereo LP version)
Got to Get You Into My Life (mono LP version)
Got to Get You Into My Life (45 version which is the stereo LP version with added reverb, not available on CD)
Got To Get You Into My Life (mono DJ copy which is a fold down of the stereo LP version with added reverb, not available on CD)

Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 October 2012 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I've been messing around with this song, comparing the 45 to the stereo remaster. As has been said, it's the original stereo mix with the channels flipped, but the stereo field has been narrowed a bit. After a lot of messing around, I finally got the stereo separation to match exactly on the two versions, verifiable by cutting between the 45 and the CD version in an audio editor.

Now I'm going to try to match the slight reverb, which is going to be a VERY difficult task. The good news is, since the song was not actually remixed, the reverb was on the entire song and not just certain elements, so it hopefully will be possible to create an almost indistinguishable recreation of the 45 version.

Edited by Brian W. on 20 October 2012 at 11:12am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 March 2017 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Has anyone successfully recreated a
digital version of the 1976 mix?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

With the flurry of posts this weekend, thought I'd ask
again.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

vanmeter
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 June 2022 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote vanmeter

Another question about this track; I recently purchased the original Capitol mono LP, and seem to recall completely different vocals at the end from years ago, which is somewhat supported by a couple of places online saying the adlibs are different on the fadeout. Yet my mono LP sounds like it has the same vocals as the stereo version, it just goes on a bit longer with one extra line and fades later. Is this the regular mono mix? I don't see anywhere online to hear this bit at the end to check/confirm.
Back to Top View vanmeter's Profile Search for other posts by vanmeter

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 June 2022 at 12:57am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Well, as far a I can tell, the mono and stereo are the same up until after he
sings "Did I tell you I need you" at about 2:22. They then differ with the stereo
ending on "Every Single Day", while the mono he sings a different line: "Every
Single Day of my life" a bit later than the stereo "Every Single Day" and the
mono fades later.

vanmeter
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 June 2022 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote vanmeter

Thanks David - that matches what I hear, I mostly was just confirming since it's not really all that different, but there are places around that suggests that it is.
Back to Top View vanmeter's Profile Search for other posts by vanmeter

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version