Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Dan Hill/Vonda Sheppard-"Can’t We Try" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 April 2020 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

thecdguy wrote:

I just obtained a copy of the promo CD Single and the
first note on the intro does sound clipped.

Thanks you for checking! I put the copy into Audacity
and when I brought up the waveform it appears someone hit
record button just a bit too late or perhaps cut a hair
off with editing. I guess we'll never know for sure.

All in all I still prefer the original LP version, mostly
because it's what I've become accustomed.

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2020 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

prisdeej wrote:
thecdguy wrote:

I just obtained a copy of the promo CD Single and the
first note on the intro does sound clipped.

Thanks you for checking! I put the copy into Audacity
and when I brought up the waveform it appears someone hit
record button just a bit too late or perhaps cut a hair
off with editing. I guess we'll never know for sure.

All in all I still prefer the original LP version, mostly
because it's what I've become accustomed.

You're welcome! Now I wonder if the intro is also truncated on the CD that was mentioned earlier, "Love Of My Life: The Best Of Dan Hill".

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 November 2020 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

Bumping this up again. Does anyone have the Love Of My Life: The Best Of Dan Hill CD and can give confirmation on whether or not the opening note of "Never Thought (That I Could Love)" is truncated on it?

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 November 2020 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

Now that I think about it, is the first note also
truncated on the 45 as well? Maybe that would explain why
it's truncated on the promo CD Single. Anyone here have
the 45?

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 November 2020 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

Y'know, as much as they played it on the radio in this town, (Never Thought...), you'd think I might have a copy of that floating around. So far, I haven't had any success finding it except on the GoldDisc 151.

One of the things I discovered when I started putting CDs and vinyl on an actual shelf, instead of having them all tucked away in boxes since like forever, was I have a bloody huge lot of 45s. None of which I have sorted
through yet, but if I happen to run across this one I will see about getting back here to report about it.

Back in the DJ days, I had also collected a number of Canadian CDs that were usually fairly clean and crisp sounding. The label was "Quality." I just checked on those but only found the other Dan Hill with Vonda Sheppard
"Can't We Try" song.

Since that song charted in '87, "Never Thought", I wonder if it didn't appear on a HitDisc from then. I'm going to look at the TM Century database and see if it is listed on a HitDisc.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 November 2020 at 2:53am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

thecdguy wrote:
Bumping this up again. Does anyone have the Love Of My Life: The Best Of Dan Hill CD and can give confirmation on whether or not the opening note of "Never Thought (That I Could Love)" is truncated on it?

I'm almost certain I have a non-truncated first-note version on some CD! Is that what you're looking for? I can check. I have the promo CD single (with has some overdubs) and the "Love of My Life" CD. But now that I think about it, Dan H. asked me to send him a WAV of the single mix of "Never Thought" so he could use it for a compilation he was putting together at the time. So if you're saying the promo CD single and 45 are both truncated, then I'm guessing "Love of My Life" is. But I can check whichever sources you want. I hate truncated intros. So I think this would have caught my attention and annoyed me :)
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 November 2020 at 5:00am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

Yes, if you could check the Love Of My Life compilation to see whether or not it has that truncated note, it would be very much appreciated. I'm thinking if that promo CD Single was the only source for the Single Mix at the time he was putting together that compilation, then it must also have the truncation. Unless.... (and this seems highly unlikely) there exists some copies of the promo CD Single that don't have it.

So far, there's no confirmation on whether or not the 45 has the truncation.

Edited by thecdguy on 29 November 2020 at 5:15am

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

I just picked up the "Love Of My Life Best Of" collection on CD. I needed something to test the editing abilities of Audacity, which I also recently downloaded to try out for a while. The CD is labeled on the spine,
"TVK 24055." I'm not skilled enough to yet determine what generation of production this is, but I'd say it's safe to assume it is a recent pressing/issue with content compiled in 1999.

The CD says the song "Never Thought (That I Could Love)", which is track #2 on the collection is the 'Single Remix Version.'

I listened to the intro of the song but wasn't really able to hear anything sounding like a "Truncated" start. So, as a first try, I brought up the file and took a look at the waveform. Surprisingly, this software
looks a lot like the old Voyetra Audiostation wave editor I used to play with way back when I was trying to get my kids interested in fooling around with music on the computer. Twenty some-odd years ago?
Audiostation was designed for use originally with Win-95, or maybe even Win-3.1 I think.

Anyway, the first half second of the file was silent and then the song starts with what looks like a complete waveform. I don't really see anything odd about the intro of this version. Seems normal to me. So, I'd have
to say that this copy appears to have a non-truncated version of the song.

Listening through, I'm certain it isn't the same as the GoldDisc 151 version either. Maybe this version was created just for this collection?

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 December 2020 at 1:39am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

AdvprosD wrote:
Listening through, I'm certain it isn't the same as the GoldDisc 151 version either. Maybe this version was created just for this collection?

The GoldDisc has the Album Version. The "Single Remix" version is the one that's on the Promo CD Single and the commercial 45 from 1988, so it existed long before the Love Of My Life compilation.

Thanks for taking the time to check the waveform. I'll probably get the compilation just out of curiosity and there's several other songs I like on there anyway.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 December 2020 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

AdvprosD wrote:
Maybe this version was created just for this collection?

Just to confirm, I sent Dan Hill a CDR of my promo CD single, made in 1988, for him to use on the "Love of My Life" CD. The mix isn't all that different, btw. A couple of sung & spoken "I love you"s overdubbed. Maybe a few other things, but nothing major.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2021 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

I just obtained a copy of the Love Of My Life: The Best Of Dan Hill compilation and it sounds as though "Never Thought (That I Could Love)"
(Single Remix Version) is truncate-free.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 January 2021 at 2:54am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

An update about the truncation people have noticed on the "Never Thought" promo CD single. I finally pulled out that single and the "Love of My Life" CD. This truncation issue puzzled me because I supplied the very CD single that was used for "Love of My Life".

I played both on my CD player and heard the truncation on the single, and not the compilation CD. I had a theory because I didn't think Dan or his team would take the 1st second from the album version to fix this problem for the "Love of My Life" album.

On many physical CD players and digital ones, too - If a song truly starts right at 0:00 and not a half a second later, the player can truncate the beginning (even digital players on your computer) when playing. So I loaded the CD single into my computer and checked it out in Wavelab. It does indeed start at the very beginning. (Well, of course, it would if it was truncated). But it sounded pretty much unclipped to me there. So I added half a second of silence in front of it on the WAV file. And it did not sound clipped! (If it's still clipping, it's like 1% of what the CD single was doing in my CD player, but I really think I was hearing the whole beginning of the note).

So mystery solved. The intro isn't clipped on the CD single. It just starts right at 0:00 and many players will cut it off.

Incidentally, if a song were to start right at 0:00 on, say, Tracks 2-10 of a CD, it wouldn't be a problem, because it would play from song 1 into song 2 just fine, etc. (unless, again, you started the disc on Track 2).

But this was a CD single with just one track. So on a physical player, there's no way to get around the clip unless you have a CD player that doesn't truncate a file that starts right at 0.

Edited by EdisonLite on 17 January 2021 at 2:56am

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 January 2021 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

I've had a long standing issue with Windows Media Player across several computers that the app truncates a song at times. Usually, it's when the very first song is loaded into a list.
Any following songs play fine. I also get this when I single out a song for play. Other apps don't seem to do this like Media Player does.

I don't think this is quite exactly what the problem is for this song in particular, but I can see that it is very similar.

TBH, I don't think I noticed this much when I was using Windows XP or Windows 7. I think it's something to do with Windows 10, as that's when I started to notice it frequently.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version