Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Men Without Hats-"Pop Goes The World" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 December 2007 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My promo CD single for this (CDP 06) has only one version, a listed (3:43), actual (3:50) version. The :12 extra seconds included on this version, which is not found on either my commercial 45, or on either side of my promo 45 (all are a listed & actual 3:38) are all found at the start. Some taping-slowing antics, followed by a single child's running footsteps, and ending with the child saying "Ladies And Gentlemen, Boys And Girls, Pop Goes The World, By Men Without Hats" all occur before the first note of all 45 versions.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Here's a question, what is the difference between the versions running 3:46 and the ones running 3:38? Are the 3:38 versions faster, or is there an edit?

Can't determine from Jim's description if the child intro is included in the 3:38 versions.

Edited by eriejwg on 13 August 2008 at 10:08am
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The 45 runs 3:38 and lacks the 12-second intro that's on the (CDP 06) single. The rest of the song is identical, and runs at the proper speed. (146.0 BPM) The sound quality on both the 45 and this (CDP 06) CD single are quite good.

There is an inferior-sounding version on Priority's Rock Of The 80's Vol. 11 (1994), which also lacks the 12-second intro, and has a muffled-sounding EQ, and runs too slow by about 0.7%. (144.9 BPM)

The version on Time-Life's Modern Rock - Late '80s (2000) is digitally exactly 2 dB quieter than Rock Of The 80's Vol. 11.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Reason I was asking, my copy is from the My Hats Collection, runs 3:46, starts with a music beat, then the child saying "Ladies And Gentlemen, Boys And Girls, Pop Goes The World, By Men Without Hats."

If you edit that first part off, :07 or so, start with the music, it runs 3:38. From what you both are saying, that matches the 45.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

It sounds like your intro is only 7 seconds long, compared to the 12 seconds on the CD single. The CD single has some sound effects for a few seconds before the music beat.

To recreate the 45, just lop off the intro and start on a downbeat.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2008 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Regarding "Pop Goes the World", Pat has updated the database with Jim's promo CD single info. I thought it'd be a good idea to also add that commercial copies run 3:38, as Chuck reported earlier in this thread. Currently, database CD appearances of this song run 3:38-3:44.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2008 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Who's Chuck?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2008 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Oops, I meant Ron. Chuck's user ID also begins with a "c" (cmmmbase) and evidently I misread it.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 02 October 2008 at 9:47pm

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 October 2008 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

eriejwg wrote:
Reason I was asking, my copy is from the My Hats Collection, runs 3:46, starts with a music beat, then the child saying "Ladies And Gentlemen, Boys And Girls, Pop Goes The World, By Men Without Hats."

If you edit that first part off, :07 or so, start with the music, it runs 3:38. From what you both are saying, that matches the 45.

So am I understanding correctly then that the Collection CD on Oglio 81587 contains part of the studio talk found on the promo CD single? If so, then some comment should probably be made in the database to explain this.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

One more question... Does anyone have the Men Without Hats vinyl LP Pop Goes the World from 1987 on Mercury who can pass along the run time of the title track? I wanted to confirm if it runs 3:41 like the CD release. If so, this mean the 45 run time is 3:38, while the LP run time is 3:41.

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

I've been a huge Men Without Hats fan since the '80s and can safely say that they were my favorite band of the decade, so I can probably answer just about any question you have about their releases, BUT... unfortunately I've never owned any of their promo items!

The Ogilio Collection CD does have the "Ladies & Gentleman" talk. And I don't have the vinyl, but I do have the original 1987 Pop Goes The World cassette and the original Canadian CD release. Both versions of "Pop Goes The World" are identical.
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 October 2019 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Loveland

The 'Single Version' found on the U.S. promo CD single, as opposed to the '7" Version" found elsewhere in the world (including North America) on the commercial single, is bizarre and unique.

The first two tracks on the "Pop Goes The World" album, not single, are:

1. Intro    1:49
2. Pop Goes The World     3:43

The 'Single Version' is the 'Album Version' of "Pop Goes The World' preceded by the last 5 seconds of 'Intro' as one track.

The 'Album Version' of 'Pop Goes The World" includes a sort of intro of its own: 'Ladies and gentlemen, boys an girls, pop goes the world by Men Without Hats'. If you take off the first six seconds (of the 'Album Version'), that leaves you with the '7" Version'.

Here's the album's full playlist, the first two tracks are 'Intro' and 'Pop Goes The World':

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B55EC466FD86734

Edited by Loveland on 30 October 2019 at 3:36pm
Back to Top View Loveland's Profile Search for other posts by Loveland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version