Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Ariel - Dean Friedman Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 26 October 2004 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

There has been a lot of chat on other sites regarding the 45 of "Ariel" by Dean Friedman. Seems as though there are claims but no proof that this 45 was issued in a form longer than 3:22 (the length of my dj and commercial 45). There is also some discussion of the lyrics being changed on the 45 about 1 minute into the song from "she was a Jewish girl" to "her name was Ariel". Both my dj and commercial 45 have the line "her name was Ariel" so my question is does anyone have either a longer 45 or a 45 with the line "she was a Jewish girl"?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 February 2005 at 12:23am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

I know you posted your question about "Ariel" a long time ago, but I came across some information from Dean Friedman himself that you might find helpful! The following can be found on the FAQ section of his official website at www.deanfriedman.com:

Q.    Are there two different versions of Ariel?

A.    Yes. My first label insisted that I edit and change the second verse to Ariel, in which I refer to her as "...a Jewish girl". They were convinced that radio stations in the south would use it as an excuse not to play the record. (In fact, many stations in the south insisted on playing the full length version which included 'Jewish girl'.) Also, the entire third verse was edited out of the single version to make it shorter for radio. I fought to keep the original version intact on the album which is why the single version is different than the album. One of my biggest record biz regrets is that I let them do it. (Not that I had a lot of say over the matter as this was my very first release.) In fact, when the single was released my management company received threats from the JDL (Jewish Defense League) protesting the edit. While I was never a fan of Mayer Kahane, now deceased leader of the JDL, in this instance, they were 100% correct.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 February 2005 at 12:39am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Dean also has a link on his website where you can e-mail him directly and ask him questions about his recordings. If anyone would know for certain if a 45 was ever issued with the "she was a Jewish girl" lyric, I would think he does!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I sent Dean an email regarding the possibility of there being 2 different 45 versions of the song "Ariel" several weeks ago and have received no reply.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 June 2007 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Hello all,

New member here, so I'm going back through all the posts to see where I can contribute.

I ordered a copy of the 45 for Ariel about a year ago and it is different than the digital versions available, definitely shorter.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 June 2007 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Is it shorter than the single version on the Varese Sarabande CD? And what is the length?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 4:46am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I did a vinyl dub to mp3. It is a fade and times out at 3:19.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 4:51am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Added: My turntable is a belt driven, so the 3:22 time listed by Moderator is probably correct. I'm not familiar with the Varese version.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Eriejwg, it sounds like the 45 you bought (shorter than the LP version) is the regular 45 with the edits and the substitute line.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 June 2007 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Yes, it is a stock 45 I believe. Oh, and has the lyric edits mentioned previously.

Edited by eriejwg on 15 June 2007 at 6:01pm

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 April 2017 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

In 1977 I purchased this 45 and the Dean Friedman LP. I never heard the edit on local radio except on AT40. Y100 in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale market played the LP version which I thought was great (it was a much bigger hit locally than it was nationally). I was happy when Rhino used the LP version for their Have A Nice Day CD series. Four decades later this song has only appeared on a domestic CD twice (the LP version once and the 45 edit once). My commercial 45 has the substitute line and matches the Barry Scott CD released on Varese Sarabande.

Edited by Santi Paradoa on 11 April 2017 at 5:52pm

Smokin' TomGary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 April 2017 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote Smokin' TomGary

I was the Chief Engineer at 13-WAVZ in New Haven, CT from 1977-1981. One morning while driving to work I heard "Ariel" on WDRC-FM, Hartford, CT. They played the album version. I asked our MD if we were going to play that song. He asked where I heard it and it was added to our playlist. The next day I told him our version (the 45) did not mention "The Jewish girl".
He called the record rep and demanded the longer version. The next day the rep brought us like 10 copies of the album. My assistant and I were given copies of the album.

Fast forward years alter. I read a piece in Goldmine where a Rhino rep said they put the 45 versions on CD. I took written exception to this citing "Ariel" and my letter was printed as an Editorial. I went record shopping in NYC one Saturday. When I got home I had a voice mail. It was Dean Friedman. His message said his friend called him to tell him someone remembered that song. He read my letter.
I returned his call on Monday and we chatted about the 45 version. It is as is claimed on the quote from his webpage. He was now (then) in the video production business.
So nice that an artist took the time to personally acknowledge a fan.
Back to Top View Smokin' TomGary's Profile Search for other posts by Smokin' TomGary

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 April 2017 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

The Rhino rep was wrong. Rhino used the album version on
the Have A Nice Day series.

Steve Carras
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2017 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Carras

Todd Ireland wrote:
Pat:

I know you posted your question about "Ariel" a long time ago, but I came across some information from Dean Friedman himself that you might find helpful! The following can be found on the FAQ section of his official website at www.deanfriedman.com:

Q.    Are there two different versions of Ariel?

A.    Yes. My first label insisted that I edit and change the second verse to Ariel, in which I refer to her as "...a Jewish girl". They were convinced that radio stations in the south would use it as an excuse not to play the record. (In fact, many stations in the south insisted on playing the full length version which included 'Jewish girl'.) Also, the entire third verse was edited out of the single version to make it shorter for radio. I fought to keep the original version intact on the album which is why the single version is different than the album. One of my biggest record biz regrets is that I let them do it. (Not that I had a lot of say over the matter as this was my very first release.) In fact, when the single was released my management company received threats from the JDL (Jewish Defense League) protesting the edit. While I was never a fan of Mayer Kahane, now deceased leader of the JDL, in this instance, they were 100% correct.

And I always thought the controversy over the Jewish girl reference was due to it being anti-Semetic.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version