Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Couldn’t Get It Right Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 December 2007 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

Has anyone ever noticed the 45 version of "Couldn't Get It Right" by Climax Blues Band differs from the version heard on Then Totally Oldies?

I just found the promo single and the first vocal line is not double tracked like the commonly heard version.

I have their Gold Plated album which I have to locate to see if the single was slightly different in vocals.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 December 2007 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Hmm... interesting find. Does the promo single differ from the 45 version? I do notice in the database that version (and a couple others) run only 3:10, whereas most CD versions run 3:15.

Edited by Brian W. on 06 December 2007 at 6:46pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 December 2007 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Brian W. wrote:
Hmm... interesting find. Does the promo single differ from the 45 version? I do notice in the database that version (and a couple others) run only 4:10, whereas most CD versions run 4:15.
Brian, my friend, you no doubt meant to post the above times as 3:10 and 3:15, not 4:10 to 4:15. I have just timed my commercial 45, as well as both the mono and stereo sides of my promo 45, and all have a listed time of (3:14) and an actual time of (3:13). Also, all of the above 45 versions feature a single-tracked, "Time was driftin'", first three opening words sung. However, in popping on my Rhino "Super Hits Of The 70's, Vol. 19" CD, I ALSO heard those first three words double-tracked, as noted earlier in this post. Nice catch, bwolfe! I wonder if all database CDs have this version? It certainly does warrant a database notation, because the Rhino CD version I just played isn't the 45 version.

Edited by jimct on 06 December 2007 at 5:59pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 December 2007 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

AM Gold: 1977 is double tracked as well.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 December 2007 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

jimct wrote:
Brian, my friend, you no doubt meant to post the above times as 3:10 and 3:15, not 4:10 to 4:15.

Whatcha talkin' 'bout? It says 3:10 and 3:15. :D

Honestly, this was a great find. Good ears, bwolfe!

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

My Sound of the Seventies - 1977: Take Two version sounds double tracked, but not as evident as AM Gold: 1977. Anyone else come across a version on CD that's not?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

"Super Hits of the '70s Vol. 19" also has the first line with the double-tracked vocal (though I think it would probably more accurately be called a harmony vocal).

I own the CD "Mellow Rock Hits of the '70s: Ventura Highway," but I can't find it at the moment, so not sure about that one.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Billboard Top Hits 1977 does as well. And I would guess (but it's only a guess) that if BTH 1977 and HAND Vol. 19, both Rhino releases, have the harmony vocal on the first line, then so would the Rhino Ventura Highway release (that Mellow Rock CD series used LP versions more often than Rhino's other series, which usually used 45 versions if available).

I'm tired--too much italicizing. :)

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I ordered a promo 45 last night, so will be anxious to hear the difference. If it's not on the 45 as Jim mentioned before, then would all sources for this song listed in the database be LP versions?

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 December 2007 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My vinyl LP "Gold Plated" does not have double tracked vocals on the opening line nor does my commercial 45.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 December 2007 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat, I don't think any of us have heard a vinyl 45 with double-tracked vocals. We were wondering whether you knew of any CDs that were this same way also. So far, all of the feedback has been that all CDs DO contain the double-tracked first line, meaning none are the correct 45 version.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 December 2007 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

jimct wrote:
So far, all of the feedback has been that all CDs DO contain the double-tracked first line, meaning none are the correct 45 version.

And, even worse, it looks like no CDs have the correct LP version either, based on Pat's information above.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 December 2007 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

So, we have a 'neither the 45 nor LP version' ?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 December 2007 at 12:06am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Is the double-tracked opening verse the only difference between all the CD versions in the database and the 45/LP? If so, I think a "neither the 45 nor LP version" comment may be a bit excessive here because database users might be misled into believing that the CD versions are somehow considerably different than the 45/LP. I would be more in favor of noting a comment something like this: (the opening verse is mixed differently than on the DJ 45, commercial 45, and LP version.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 09 December 2007 at 12:08am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 December 2007 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Just completed reviewing every cd in the database that contains this song and only 1 cd has the correct version. Believe it or not that cd is the reissue of the "Gold Plated" album on the Fuel 2000 label back in 2005. For those of you that have not followed the Fuel 2000 label releases, they have now turned into what the old Dominion label used to be i.e. reissues of rerecordings and live recordings, primarily junk.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 December 2007 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Yay!

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 December 2007 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Thanks, Pat, for all the time and trouble involved with you listening to all of the CDs, and I will now pick up that "Gold Plated" Fuel 2000 release. I also appreciate your info about the decline of the "Fuel 2000" label. I was always happy with the pieces I'd purchased, and had no idea they'd turned into a "Dominion"-type label - I will now steer clear of them.

Edited by jimct on 09 December 2007 at 3:45pm

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 December 2007 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Just got a 2 sided white label stereo promo 45 on this one, distributed by GRT of Canada.

Deadwax is 1147-736-S1. No harmony or double tracked vocal.
Listed time is 3:14, actual is 3:16. On the label, says from the Sire Records LP
Gold Plated.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 December 2008 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Just revisited this song. I notice that there is another double-tracked vocal in the first verse on the "neither" version. The words "restless feeling" are double-tracked on the "neither" CDs, but not on the 45. Also, listening carefully in headphones, the mix is ever-so-slightly different between the two. I don't hear any different instrumentation, but the placement of instruments (left, center, right) is slightly changed on the "neither" mix.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 December 2008 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

eriejwg wrote:
Just got a 2 sided white label stereo promo 45 on this one, distributed by GRT of Canada.

Was this an original 1977 release or a later re-issue? Stereo/stereo promos were the exception in the U.S. in the 70s, AM music radio hung on longer in Canada (mostly due to government content restrictions for FMs) so you'd think labels would have continued mono promo copies longer there if anything.

Any American Sire promos I've ever seen had the same yellow label as the commercial copies with promotional notation and mono/stereo (or mix differences in the 80s) info added.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version