Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Teena Marie - Lovergirl Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 June 2005 at 1:57am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just dubbed a copy of Teena Marie's "Lovergirl" from the 45, because mine is in storage, and it sounds like a completely different mix. The drum track on this 45 is different--especially the snare hit. On every CD that has this song, the drums are all the same--the way I remember it. Does anyone else have a 45 with a drum track different from what's available on CD? (By the way, this is a very obvious difference that you won't have to search to find.)
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 November 2005 at 12:53am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I forgot to post my findings on this awhile back, but it turns out there is more than one pressing of the 45 on this song. I pulled out MY copy of the 45, and it is the same mix that I'm used to hearing & the one that has shown up on every CD out there. My 45 is an edit of the mix that's commonly found on CD (the LP version).

My friend's 45 is a mix that I had never heard before (details in the post above). So, I'm curious to know what versions are on the Sony Music 100 Years and R&B: From Doo-Wop To Hip-Hop CDs. The run times of (4:18) match MY 45; however, Pat notes that these CDs contain "neither the 45 or LP version."

Anyone have any info?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 November 2005 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

If it helps, here's some info on my copy of "Lovergirl":

- Catalog number is 34-04619 on the blue Epic label
- Label states a run time of (3:59) but it actually runs (4:20)

I don't have the catalog number of my friend's 45, but I can ask him to jot it down for me. His copy runs (4:23), but the label may state something else.

Edited by aaronk on 04 November 2005 at 5:40pm

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Aaron,

Just compared my dj 45 to the version found on "R&B: From Doo-Wop To Hip-Hop" and yes the reason I entered the comment of neither the 45 nor LP version was due to the different drum track. Are you sure that your friend's 45 is a US issue 45? As we know there are numerous 45's that have been released in two distinct versions so it is entirely possible that there are two domestic versions of "Lovergirl". My matrix number in the dead wax is 169787-2E.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat,

Yes, I'm quite sure his 45 is a US pressing. It's on the blue Epic label, and there's no mention of "demonstration-not for sale" anywhere on the label.

Now, I just listened to an online sample of "Lovergirl" on the R&B: From Doo-Wop To Hip-Hop cd, and the drum track on this recording matches the 45 that I have. Apparently, your DJ 45 has the same mix as my friend's 45. I e-mailed a dub of this "alternate mix" to Todd, and he had never heard this mix before either.

Again, my 45 sounds like it's an edit of the LP mix. Therefore, the only possible conclusion is that there is more than one pressing of this 45, each with a different mix. The one that I remember hearing on top 40 radio is the mix that is on my 45---the LP edit.

Paul Esch
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Esch

I also have the US 45, and it matches the mix on the R&B: From
Doo-Wop To Hip-Hop
CD. The matrix number on my 45 is
169787 - 3B. This version also times out to about 4:20. Now, is
there a difference in speed?
Back to Top View Paul Esch's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Esch

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

I guess there are 2 different pressing of this 45 then! I just ordered a copy from Ebay that has the matrix number 169787-1A so maybe that will fix me up with both versions.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 November 2005 at 1:07am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Paul, to answer your question, no there is no difference in speed between the two versions; however, the mix that Pat & my friend have on 45 has a slightly longer fade out, and there's a couple different edits, which may account for the time difference. Thanks for backing me up, by the way. It looks like we have the same 45, as mine has the same matrix number as yours.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Bringing this to the top of the board, as there was a question about it.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i have the correct 45 version on cdr...

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The question Torcan asked in another thread is do both copies of the 45 state a run time of (3:59)? We know for sure that they both actually run between (4:20) and (4:23). The 45 with the edited LP mix states (3:59). What about the other one?

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my 45 states a run time of 3:59 but runs 4:19....do you need any info from the 45???

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my deadwax says "zss 169787-3d"....further over it says "g1"....hope this helps....

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

I'm late to the thread. I have not read the posts yet, so I will give what I know.

One of the US Epic 45 indeed is a different mix. It is drier (no reverb added), and the drums are much louder. It is also edited. The drum track is not different, just punched up much louder.

I bought the 45 before the LP was released and before the song became a pop hit.

I did a nice needle drop of it to CD-R some years ago.

Edited by Grant on 31 July 2006 at 9:35pm
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I disagree, Grant. There is certainly a different drum track. The sequence of each drum track is the same, but the drum on the 2 & 4 count has a totally different sound to it. I just listened to it, and there certainly is reverb on both mixes, but you're correct in that the drums are much louder.

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote torcan

Thanks for brining it to the top - useful information. Now I've got to be on the lookout for the other 45!
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

aaronk wrote:
I disagree, Grant. There is certainly a different drum track. The sequence of each drum track is the same, but the drum on the 2 & 4 count has a totally different sound to it. I just listened to it, and there certainly is reverb on both mixes, but you're correct in that the drums are much louder.

But, that's the beauty of remixing. You can do so much to a sound. You are probably just used to hearing compression on the drums, and the mix overall. I'll bet if you e-mailed Teena herself she'd tell you she used the same drum track for both mixes.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'll have to look up her e-mail address. :)

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

Her website is a good place to start...

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Unfortunately, her site does not have a way to send e-mail or contact Teena (or anyone else for that matter). But I was ready to send the message!

I'm still convinced that it's more than just compression and mixing. It's not live drums, so they could have easily just re-programmed the sound of the drums using the same sequence.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version