Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Whitney Houston - How Will I Know Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 February 2007 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

That's what we're trying to find out. The song hasn't been on very many CDs.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i just did an a/b of my commercial 45 of "how will i know" issued as arista 9434......the run out groove has "ASI 9434 - SA RE - 1"....it then has what looks like "DCA" scratched out and next to that "DW2"....this 45 is identical to the version from the cd i had, and copied, many years ago, so i no longer have the cd to get the original matrix number as reference....i don't hear any word "heartbeat" at all in the faded out...can someone tell me exactly what minute it is so i can more closely listen....

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

edtop40 wrote:
i just did an a/b of my commercial 45 of "how will i know" issued as arista 9434......the run out groove has "ASI 9434 - SA RE - 1"....it then has what looks like "DCA" scratched out and next to that "DW2"....this 45 is identical to the version from the cd i had, and copied, many years ago, so i no longer have the cd to get the original matrix number as reference....i don't hear any word "heartbeat" at all in the faded out...can someone tell me exactly what minute it is so i can more closely listen....

It should be at 4:24, Ed. It's right about where the "ooh" is. Have Aaron send you his sample. But considering that "RE-1" in the runout groove, it's sounding like we may have more than one version of the commercial 45.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

just checked it again and at the 4:24 mark of the cd version i have nor the commercial 45 i have, it DOES NOT have heartbeat in the vocals, anywhere....hope this helps....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I haven't been able to get the matrix number on the other commercial copy yet, but I'm still wondering why the heck they would've spliced the last 10 seconds of the LP version onto a perfectly fine 45 version and reissued the 45. It just doesn't make any sense.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I have now heard both Aaron's and Ed's commecial 45 copies, and there were definitely two pressings of the 45 -- one with the slightly fuller instrumentation on the fadeout and the extra "heartbeat" background vocal, and one matching the current CD album version.

Edited by Brian W. on 13 February 2007 at 9:23pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 February 2007 at 12:27am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

But just to be sure we're on the same page, Brian, the 45 with the "current CD album version" is NOT the LP version. Basically, the two 45 versions are identical up until the ending, correct?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 February 2007 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Well, I don't know... I don't have a full version of what's on your 45, so I can't compare the whole song.

But since the remix has been on every pressing of the album for over 20 years now, I don't think "current CD album version," or at least "remastered album version," is inappropriate.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 February 2007 at 2:37am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I don't have a full version of that 45 either. I just dubbed the ending for comparison purposes. I guess what I'm concluding is that there are three versions of this song:

- The original LP version
- The "remix" 45 version
- The "remix" 45 version with the LP ending

What I was asking is that when you referred to "current CD album version," you were referring to the "remix" with LP ending and not the "LP version." I'm just trying to clarify that none of the 45s contain the original LP version.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 February 2007 at 4:02am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

aaronk wrote:

What I was asking is that when you referred to "current CD album version," you were referring to the "remix" with LP ending and not the "LP version." I'm just trying to clarify that none of the 45s contain the original LP version.

Yeah, that's what I meant. But have we determined for sure that the dubbed-in ending is in fact the original LP version's ending?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 February 2007 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Brian W. wrote:
Yeah, that's what I meant. But have we determined for sure that the dubbed-in ending is in fact the original LP version's ending?

I guess that is also to be determined for sure, but if my memory is correct, it sounds like the LP version to me. I used to have the cassette tape with the true LP version, and I remember the fadeout lasted a little bit longer than my 45 copy. I am only speculating that this spliced on ending is from that version. I also recall that the true LP version does not start off with just drums. The keyboards come in right away, and the mix is different.

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 February 2007 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

My US 45 is as Brian W. described, WITH the 'heartbeat'. Matrix is AS1 9434SA-1. Since the matrix number has no 'RE' and since my 45 came with a picture sleeve, this would appear to be the earlier pressing.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 February 2007 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

My promo 45 of "How Will I Know" has the edit to the LP mix at the end too!

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 February 2007 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 with the lp version on it has a picture sleeve as well....

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 February 2007 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I may as well jump into the quicksand here. I always bought all Billboard Hot 100 new entries the moment they appeared, in their first week on the chart. My "How Will I Know" stock deadwax is AS1-9434-SA SR1 1-1 (with the first "4" deeply and repeatedly retraced, covering an initial "3"). There is no "heartbeat" sung during the fade. My promo 45, like Pat's, has a listed time of (4:10), but mine has an actual time of (4:29), not (4:33) as Pat specifies for his DJ 45. My promo for this is one of the ONLY styrene Arista promo 45s I have ever seen, for what it's worth, and its deadwax is "AS1-9434-SA SH1 (the first "4" again retraced, covering an initial "3", but not NEARLY as forcefully done) R-15144-SH1 SLM (triangle) 111 71 1-". Oh boy...If anyone wants a dub of either of these, let me know.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 October 2007 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

jimct wrote:
"How Will I Know" stock deadwax is AS1-9434-SA SR1 1-1 (with the first "4" deeply and repeatedly retraced, covering an initial "3"). There is no "heartbeat" sung during the fade.

I have both a stock and promo copy in front of me with the same matrix numbers, and they both do have the "heartbeat" vocal on the fadeout. The conclusion here is that all 4:29 (actual) 45s have the original 45 remix. All 4:33 (actual) 45s with the "RE" in the deadwax have the 45 remix with the LP ending spliced on.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 March 2009 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

maciav wrote:
Does anyone know if there is an import CD with the correct 45-version?

A digital source for the 45 version with the "heartbeat" ending can be found on her "The Greatest Hits" DVD.
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2009 at 6:39am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Just watched the video on YouTube. Guess what, 45 version with LP ending!
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 March 2009 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

elcoleccionista wrote:
A digital source for the 45 version with the "heartbeat" ending can be found on her "The Greatest Hits" DVD.

I've always found these types of sources to be hissy, especially on '80s-era songs.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 March 2009 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

eriejwg wrote:
Just watched the video on YouTube. Guess what, 45 version with LP ending!

Never trust YouTube to be the original source. Most likely, someone dubbed over the audio track with their CD copy.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version