Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Whitney Houston - How Will I Know Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 June 2005 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My 8th Edition of Pat's book doesn't mention anything about different versions of "How Will I Know" by Whitney Houston (other than the Junior Vasquez Remix that is included on Greatest Hits). I have the self-titled CD with this track on it, and it IS the same as the 45 version. However, I am 99% sure that LP and cassette copies of Whitney Houston contained a different mix...namely, the LP Version. Can anyone back me up on this?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Online
Posted: 06 June 2005 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Even the 10th edition does not mention this but it will be mentioned in future editions. Some pressings of the cd "Whitney Houston" Arista 8212 feature the LP version of this song running (4:27) and others feature the 45 version running (4:34).
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Hmm, I didn't know the single was a different mix. Interesting. I do have the original-original pressing of her CD (the one with the original mix of "Greatest Love of All"), so I'll have to compare them.

I know there was an edit of the dance remix of "How Will I Know" that issued as the B-side of "Love Will Save the Day." I have it on a Japanese CD3 single.

Edited by Brian W. on 06 June 2005 at 4:48pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

There are at least 3 different versions of the "Whitney Houston" CD. My friend bought it right at the beginning when it had the acoustic piano version of "Greatest Love" and the album version of "How Will I Know". My later pressing (from '86 or '87) had different versions of both these songs. However, I really wanted the acoustic version of "Greatest" so I was able to track down a CD that had this version in '88 but it didn't have the early version of "How Will I know." So I know for a fact there are 3 different pressings.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 5:05am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

It sounds to me that my CD also has the remix of How Will I Know and the acoustic Greatest Love of All.

Pat, is there any way you can post the matrix number of the CD with the original How Will I Know, if you've got it?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Here's what I have:

How Will I Know with LP version and Greatest Love acoustic version has the following matrix numbers 51AARCD 8212-2 04

How Will I Know with 45 version and Greatest Love electric version has X9 1822 ARCD 8212

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Thanks! My Japanese pressing with the 45 How Will I Know and acoustic Greatest Love is hard to read, but it's either LOAL 62 or 1OA1 62 ARCD-5212.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

I have a US version of the CD (ARCD 8212) with the remixed versions of "How Will I Know" and "Greatest Love", and a German pressing (610 359) with the original ones.
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Since we're on the topic of the versions of "How Will I Know" and "Greatest Love Of All" found on different printings of the album.

Have you noticed on both, not only the production of the song, but Whitney's vocals are different?

HOW WILL I KNOW:

LP Version: Right after the saxophone section she repeats "how will I know" several times and then goes "hey hey, hey hey" (at 3:36).

Remix Version: Right after the saxophone section she repeats "how will I know" several times and then goes "ooohhhh" (at 3:44).

And interestingly enough, the edited remix found as B side of "Love Will Save The Day" that Brian quoted, contains both those vocals "superimposed".

GREATEST LOVE OF ALL:

On the first chorus of both versions, the part she sings "learning to love yourself" is clearly a different vocal take.

Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Old...old thread, but I just checked and have the original US CD with "Greatest Love Of All" and "How Will I Know" in their initial versions.

The center of the disc has the following text:
DIDX-000489 G2 1A 01

and in very tiny text it says:
IFPI L422

Edited by Underground Dub on 13 July 2006 at 9:24am
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

elcoleccionista wrote:

GREATEST LOVE OF ALL:

On the first chorus of both versions, the part she sings "learning to love yourself" is clearly a different vocal take.

Right. On the 45 version she sing it smoothly, drawing it out: "Learning to looooove yourseeeeelf."

On the original acoustic version she sings "Learning to luh-huv! Yourse-he-he-helf."

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 February 2007 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

BAD NEWS for those of us who have the Whitney CD with matrix 2/96 2DA10 ARCD8212. While this CD appears to have the 45 versions of both "How Will I Know" and "The Greatest Love Of All," "How Will I Know" is NEITHER the 45 nor LP version.

Toward the end of the song (at 4:17 to be exact), there is clearly a change of sources. I'm pretty sure it switches from the 45 version to the LP version, as the instrumentation starts to sound slightly different, as does the EQ and background vocals. WHY it changes is beyond my wildest imagination!

On the 45 fadeout (which fades sooner than the CD), you can hear the background vocal "heartbeat" when Whitney is singing "ooooh how will I know." On the CD, this background vocal is absent, and again, I think it's the LP version that it switches to. The song prior to the 4:17 mark seems to match the 45, though.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 February 2007 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

There could quite possibly be two different pressings of this 45. My dj copy is Arista 9434 with matrix number 9434-SA-re 1-sh1. The matrix number indicates a remaster so I am curious as to what the commercial 45 states on the copy you have Aaron. My dj 45 is identical to the version found on the "Whitney Houston" cd I have with matrix number ARCD-8212 2281-6X.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2007 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I finally hear what Aaron is talking about.

The remastered LP version switches over to sparser instrumentation at the 4:17 mark. And in addition to fading slightly earlier, the 45 has a one-line difference in the background vocals:

The remastered LP fadeout goes:

How will I know
(How will I know)
How will I know
How will I know
(I say a prayer)
How will I know, ooh
How will I know
(I fall in love)
How will I know
Hey, How will I know
(I'm asking you)
How will I, How will I... (END)

The 45 version goes:

How will I know
(How will I know)
How will I know
How will I know
(I say a prayer)
How will I know, ooh
(Heartbeat)
How will I know
(I fall in love)
How will I know
Hey, how will I know... (END)

Both my first-remaster Whitney CD (the one with the remix of How Will I Know and the original version of Greatest Love of All) and my Japanese CD3 reissue single contain this version with the incorrect ending.

Can someone check the MTV Replay and Soul Train 25th Anniversary CDs, and see if they have have the word "heartbeat" in the backing vocals at that point? Both these run a couple seconds shorter than remastered LP version.

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2007 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Brian W. wrote:

Can someone check the MTV Replay and Soul Train 25th Anniversary CDs, and see if they have have the word "heartbeat" in the backing vocals at that point? Both these run a couple seconds shorter than remastered LP version.

The Soul Train 25th Anniversary CD does not have the "heartbeat" backing vocals on the fade.

Curses, foiled again!
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 February 2007 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Roscoe wrote:
Curses, foiled again!

No kidding, Roscoe! I was listening to a copy of the song on TM's GoldDisc, and it sounded strange to me at the 4:17 mark. The bass got louder and the instrumentation changed slightly, so I could tell it was spliced. Immediately, I pulled out my original Whitney Houston CD, and it sounded the exact same way.

I checked my friend's 45 copy when I was at his house, and sure enough, the 45 does NOT sound like it changes at the 4:17 mark. Also, it has that additional background vocal on the fadeout that Brian so kindly dictated above.

Pat, I'll have to get back with you on the matrix number, as I don't have the 45 in my possession. I can say for sure that it is a commercial copy. In the meantime, perhaps Ed or someone else with a commercial copy could post the matrix number.

Are you sure both your DJ 45 and your CD copy have the word "heartbeat" at the end (or both lack the word "heartbeat")?

Edited by aaronk on 11 February 2007 at 6:11pm

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 February 2007 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

It is the lack of "heartbeat" on my dj 45 and cd.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 February 2007 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

So nobody has the MTV Replay CD?

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

There is no "heartbeat" vocal on the MTV Replay cd on the fadeout.

maciav
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote maciav

Does anyone know if there is an import CD with the correct 45-version?

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version