Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Stir It Up" - Johnny Nash Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 May 2011 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Thanks for showing me this version on Nash's "Reggae Collection" CD, Mark. (And interesting info, Mark!) I just gave it a listen. YES. THIS is what I heard on AT40 (albeit what I heard was in mono, but this is the stereo version of it.) And in the mono mixdown it was especially clear I wasn't hear lead vocals on two of the "little darling"s near the end of the song. Just as Pat lists the "Reggae Collection" version of "I Can See Clearly Now" as "alternate take", the same CD also contains an "alternate take" of "Stir It Up" and it should be indicated. You could also call this "Neither the LP or hit 45 mix" or "remix", as Mark indicates. The version on this CD is much closer to the original LP mix than the hit 45 mix. Pat currently has this listed as the LP mix. This means that maybe there are other entries in the database that should be listed as "alternate mix", and Pat, you may want to check them. While there may be many mix differences, the easiest way to tell the two apart (at least, it's what caught my ear) is to listen to the "little darling" at 2:37. The panning of vocals is so different and you really feel like there's no lead vocal centered in the alternate mix. But the lead vocal is clearly there and in the center on the LP mix.

Pat, can you report back here as to how many CDs have the alternate mix? I'm curious.

Also, I noticed that of the MANY cd entries for "Stir It Up" in the database, only ONE, the Time-Life CD, uses the proper hit 45 mix. Kudos to Time-Life and I'm surprised that none one of the other CD releases after that one randomly ripped their version from that CD. Does anyone recall any other instances where there are many LP mixes in the database but only ONE Time-Life CD using the proper 45 mix?

Edited by EdisonLite on 15 May 2011 at 9:38am
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2011 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

For Pat:

(hopefully helpful) - i was thinking trying to hear the differences at the end of the track on every disc might be too daunting....

Now, i'm taking it as a "given" that "Rock Artifacts Vol 2" really is the original LP version.

So, If one is wearing headphones:

On LP version mix: right at the start, the bongos are on the LEFT. At vocal start: All vocals are centered, background singers, and the sax is in center as well.

On the Reggae Collection REMIX (it is the same take and recording):
The bongos are on the RIGHT. And at vocal start, lead vocal is center, and backing vocals are on the LEFT, sax is on the LEFT as well.
The remix was also pitched a little faster too.

Re: I Can See Clearly on Reggae Collection can also be updated the "REMIX". I was able to synch the hit version by speeding it up considerably, and found it's the same vocal track - they just remixed the whole thing.

Hope this analysis helps!!

MM

Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2011 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

just another quick observation about the mix on Reggae Collection;   this mix is good for stereo fans.

In the LP version most elements are close to center, most horns and vocal tracks.
In the remix, most of horns, and the backing vocals are all split either right or left, a little more 60's style.
It's kinda cool. (nice mix, but the hit 45 with extras added is still the best, IMO).

Btw, the liner notes specify including the alternate version of "I Can See Clearly", they wanted to update it a little.
But no mention of "Stir It Up" at all.
Hmm, makes one wonder, was that very first, yellow label, non-charting 45 version really identical to the LP version?
Just wonderin' .... (sorry)

-MM

Oh, PS:
when i first bought this CD i was pleased it included all the original JAD hits along with the Epic material.
Turns out per the notes that was no problem because Johnny was one of the smart ones early on, he decided around 1962 that hereafter he'd like to OWN his own recordings, and thus, retains all the rights to his own material. I LOVE hearing those stories vs. the much more common tale. -MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version