Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Billy Ocean - Get Outta My Dreams AC Edit Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 November 2007 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I have the song "Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car" by Billy Ocean on a TM Century GoldDisc, and it's labeled as an "AC Edit." Basically it cuts the sound effects and spoken intro. Our resident promo 45 expert, Jim, has never come across the actual vinyl, and I couldn't locate one doing an online search. Can anyone confirm the existance of it? There's no database info, either.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 5:01am | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

I could be wrong but I believe that some radio stations made their own edit, so TM Century made that edit on their own. I've never seen a promo copy with an edit like that.

One could still exist, I've just never seen it.
Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks, Bill. If you haven't seen it and Jim hasn't seen it, I'm betting that it doesn't exist. TM did a similar thing in '88 with "Red Red Wine." They chopped the 5:20ish version down to about 4:20, which I've never been able to find on an official promo.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2011 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

For what it's worth, this "AC Edit" appears to be on
The A List, where it runs 4:33 (without outro
silence). It's an edit of the LP version that cuts out
the opening car sounds and opening back-and-forth spoken
stuff.

It runs slower than the 45 version (117.1 BPM on
virtually all CD appearances), running about 116.1 BPM.

I never heard this on the air, and have never seen it on
vinyl.

This is also another data point leading me to think that
all the A List tracks are taken from TM Century
discs...
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 September 2014 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

The 12" version is available on "Pure... 80's remixes" a 2014 4-CD set from
Sony Music.
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 May 2020 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

How's this for resurrecting an old thread?

I think what crapfromthepast was describing above may be a match to the UK 45 version, or something very close to it. In listening via this vinyl 45 rip on YouTube, the sound effects and spoken part are cut from the intro section, and you would need the LP Version (not the U.S. 45 version) to re-create this version in full. While the video only runs to 4:29 (as opposed to the 4:33 stated above for the "A/C Edit"), it sounds like the audio is cut just a little before the true end of the fade in the video.

While I have seen my share of fake edits on YouTube, this one sounds like "the real deal" -- lots of vinyl crackle, etc. Also, when Billy Ocean appeared on Top of the Pops in 1988, he appears to have mimed to this version as well.

I don't have a copy of the "A/C Edit" discussed above, but I would bet it is the same as this UK single version.
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 May 2020 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

I have the AC Edit on the TM Disc mentioned in the first
post and it's not quite the same as what's in the YouTube
video of the UK 7" Version. The intro on the AC Edit is
about 17 seconds whereas the UK Single's intro is about
26 seconds. Also, there is some "oooh"ing and "aaah"ing
on the UK Intro that isn't there at the same point on the
AC edit.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 May 2020 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

That's an excellent thought, but the "AC Edit" I have on my hard drive only runs 4:19, but I believe this one comes from a Hot AC disc in the 900 series. Quite a few of those versions were "re-done" and aren't clones of tracks they put out on earlier discs. I'm positive I have a different disc (one of the old red font discs) that has it, too, and that's likely where the A List CD cloned their copy.

The first couple edits of the AC Edit do, indeed, match the UK 45 dub on YouTube, but even the A List disc only runs 4:28. (I believe Ron made a typo above, as the 4:33 time includes silence at the end of the track.)

So, it's possible TM was inspired by the UK 45 edit to create their own, but likely they got it wrong.

Edited by aaronk on 22 May 2020 at 9:59am

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Oh well! I so wanted to be right about that, haha … But, I think your theory holds a lot of weight -- if I have read correctly, TM goofed sometimes in attempting to do their 45 replications.

Edited by EternalStatic on 22 May 2020 at 10:19am
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 May 2020 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Well, you were certainly on the right track, and it's definitely a noteworthy discovery that the UK 45 has a totally different edit.

TM nearly always goofed in attempting to do 45 replications. I've A/B'd dozens of tracks from their GoldDiscs, and 90% of the time it doesn't match up exactly. Sometimes they are close, but if you want an exactly correct edit, I wouldn't trust TM Century for songs that are older than 1990. Mostly their edits were on GoldDiscs, but surprisingly, I've found at least one late '80s HitDisc track that is an incorrect edit. While they did use a lot of 45 dubs on early HitDiscs, apparently they tried not to use vinyl whenever possible. I guess creating an edit using a CD source was easier (better) than dubbing the 45 and running it through the dreadful "No Noise" machine.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The promo CD single (Jive JSCD 9678, copyright 1988) has two tracks:

1 - Single Version, printed 4:43, actual 4:43
2 - Extended Version, printed 8:59, actual 8:59

The version on Billy Ocean's Jive Greatest Hits (1989) is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of the Single Version from the promo CD single, and is far less expensive nowadays. This is a well-chosen and excellent-sounding disc overall, and I highly recommend it.

The same analog transfer as GH is used on:
  • Priority's Eighties Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 10 Dance All Night (1994) - digitally exactly 2 dB louder; note that this disc is mostly (entirely?) made up of digital clones of existing discs without any added EQ, noise reduction, or compression/limiting, and therefore avoids the sonic shortcomings of most of the other Priority discs
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 21 1986-1989 (1997) - differently-EQ'd digital clone
There's a new analog transfer (I think) on Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1988 (1994), which sounds basically like all of the above, but a little bit louder; there is a small amount of clipping. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Rockin' USA (1994)
All of the above discs extend out to the full ending of the song, with the line "...want you to be my baby" then the words "whoa I" at the end of the fade.

There are a few that fade before the final words:
  • EMI Virgin PolyGram's UK 2-CD Now That's What I Call Music UK Vol. 11 (1988)
  • EMI Virgin PolyGram's UK 2-CD Now That's What I Call Music UK 1988 (1993) - digitally exactly 0.287 dB quieter than Now 11 and additionally hastens the fade
  • EMI Virgin PolyGram's UK 2-CD Now The Millennium Series 1988 (1999) - sounds similar to Greatest Hits, but hastens the fade
  • Quality Canada's This Is Music 5 (1989) - not based on any of the other masterings and fades almost 10 seconds early; avoid
And finally, there is swaitek's promo 50-CD The A-List Disc 45 (1994), which seems to use the TM Century in-house edit of the LP version.

My recommendation:

If you want the song on a single-artist disc, most definitely go with Jive's Greatest Hits (1989).

If you want the song on a compilation, Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1988 (1994) is likely your least expensive option. Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 21 1986-1989 (1997) is superb in every way, but likely fairly pricey nowadays.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 11 August 2020 at 8:17am

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

It's funny... when I first bought this 45 in 1988 for my
bar gigs, I always cued past the car SFX and intro. Maybe
TM thought that was a good spot to edit lol.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2020 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

eriejwg wrote:
It's funny... when I first bought this 45 in 1988 for my
bar gigs, I always cued past the car SFX and intro. Maybe
TM thought that was a good spot to edit lol.

Was your bar gig in Dallas TX? lol!

I haven't looked for it on a HitDisc or a GoldDisc yet but, Aaron is probably right. I guess the folks at TM Century figured they could make a cut that would do well on an AC station, so they did it.
I know that as an event DJ, I did the same thing. I also think at the time this was popular, I was working for a local multi-DJ company who gave us dubs on cassette. I'm guessing here but DRM law would
have had a field day with this guy had they known of the way he was outfitting DJs in the area. 20 and sometimes 30 jocks out on a night with cassette dubs from one CD.

Good times though! Often groups of us would go out for 1am breakfast after getting done packing in on a Saturday night.

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 April 2021 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

I just had the opportunity to listen to both AC Edit's, and Aaron is correct! The version from A-List is the earlier version TM Century released on the red font GoldDisc 154R. "R" for
the red font discs. This version sounds like it could have been lifted from vinyl and it matches the intro and length of the UK 45 version.    The next AC Edit appeared on an update
GoldDisc 154N. "N" for No Noise which was their noise reduction system by Sonic Solutions. This version cuts the intro to :17 and is sourced from the CD counterpart. I should note that noise
reduction was used on the red font discs, sometimes even more aggressive, but I can't say for certain if it was the same system.    

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 April 2021 at 5:35am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To Dave:

To the best of my knowledge the earlier TM Century discs
used an analog dynamic noise reduction unit - not sure
what brand.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version