Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Soul II Soul-"Keep On Movin’" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 November 2007 at 3:23am | IP Logged Quote jimct

My promo CD single (PRCD2725, but this # ONLY appears in the "CD deadwax".) This CD is brown in color, features no listed times, and contains:

1-(Nellee Hopper's 7") (actual 3:37)
2-(Teddy Riley's Rubba Dub) (actual 6:00)
3-(Big Beat A cappella) (actual 3:32)
4-(Club Mix) (Featuring Caron Wheeler) (actual 5:46)

There are currently a couple of versions of this song in the database where I thought this new information may be of some help.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 October 2008 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Your information certainly is helpful, Jim, and I thought I'd also add that the actual commercial 45 time of Soul II Soul's "Keep on Movin'" is 3:35, not 3:38 as printed on the record label. The 45 label also specifically states: (Nellee Hooper's 7"). I have confirmed the version description is spelled correctly, which is slightly different than what Jim reported on Track 1 of his promo CD. Jim, when you have an opportunity, could you please double-check and see if your copy actually says (Nellee Hooper's 7") and not (Nellee Hopper's 7")?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 11 October 2008 at 3:18pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 October 2008 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland wrote:
The 45 label also specifically states: (Neellee Hooper's 7"). I have confirmed the version description is spelled correctly...

Um, if so, then that begs the following: Why are you questioning the spelling of only the last name in jimct's original post??? :-)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 October 2008 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

The commercial 45 states (Nellee Hooper's 7") on the record label. (I've gone back and corrected the typo in my original post.) So again, my question deals with whether Track 1 on the promo CD single states "Hooper" or "Hopper".

Edited by Todd Ireland on 11 October 2008 at 3:38pm

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 October 2008 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Todd, I have re-checked my promo CD single, and track 1 IS, in fact, spelled "Hopper", not "Hooper" - my original post spelling was correct. However, on my commercial CD single for the song (info for which I did not include in my original post), on Cut 3, the only one referring to "Nellee" on that disc, it does spell the name as "Hooper" on there. So, since it appears that even Soul II Soul's record company (Virgin) didn't know what the correct spelling was back in 1989, what are our chances of getting to the bottom of this issue in '08, gentlemen? :)
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 October 2008 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Probably not very high, Jim! Thank you for the clarification.

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 October 2008 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

jimct wrote:
Todd, I have re-checked my promo CD single, and track 1 IS, in fact, spelled "Hopper", not "Hooper" - my original post spelling was correct. However, on my commercial CD single for the song (info for which I did not include in my original post), on Cut 3, the only one referring to "Nellee" on that disc, it does spell the name as "Hooper" on there. So, since it appears that even Soul II Soul's record company (Virgin) didn't know what the correct spelling was back in 1989, what are our chances of getting to the bottom of this issue in '08, gentlemen? :)

His name is Nellee Hooper. He's a pretty popular producer/remixer.

Edited by Paul Haney on 12 October 2008 at 7:45am
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 October 2008 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial cassingle issued as virgin 99205 states on the label the version as (nellee hooper's 7") and listed run time of 3:38 but actually runs 3:37....it is identical to track #1 from the usa promo cd single that both jim and i have listed below

1-(Nellee Hopper's 7") (actual 3:37)
2-(Teddy Riley's Rubba Dub) (actual 6:00)
3-(Big Beat A cappella) (actual 3:32)
4-(Club Mix) (Featuring Caron Wheeler) (actual 5:46)

i do not have the commercial 45 to compare that to these findings....and i also can confirm the differing spellings of hooper/hopper on the promo cd single versus the cassingle.....

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 October 2008 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote abagon

I did the typo (Neellee Hooper's 7") when I informed Todd by an e-mail. I sincerely apologize.
The correct description on the 45 record label is (Nellee Hooper's 7")

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 February 2011 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Unless I'm missing something, it appears that the 45
version is an early fade of the LP version. I didn't heard
any difference between the mixes.

Based on the timing from PolyTel Canada's Hits Plus
Hits
, a 24-beat sinusoidal fade from 3:21-3:36 seems to
match the 45 pretty well.

Note that the true 45 runs at 93.4 BPM, or about 0.3%
faster than the album version at 93.1 BPM.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 December 2023 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Twelve years later...

Never mind: the 45 is indeed a different mix than the LP version. Fading the LP version early won't work.

The promo CD single of the "Nellee Hooper's 7 Inch" includes an odd glitch around nine seconds in. There's a drumbeat missing, and the syllable "in" is pasted over the missing beat, so it sounds a little like a stutter. The glitch only affects the attack of one drumbeat, and if you're beat-matching, you wouldn't even notice it. The same analog transfer (including the glitch) is used on:
  • Hitmakers Vol. 22 June 16 1989 - left and right channels swapped
  • Rhino's Billboard Hot R&B Hits 1989 (1995) - tail of fade is about two beats shorter
  • Time-Life's Uptown Saturday Night Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now (2007) - tail of fade is about seven beats shorter
A different analog transfer is used on the UK 3-inch CD single (10 Records TEN CD 263, released 1989). The EQ is a little more muffled than the US releases, but the length is about the same and it lacks the glitch at nine seconds in!

Thanks to Eric M for discovering the glitch and finding a CD that lacks it.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 17 December 2023 at 8:39pm

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 December 2023 at 12:14am | IP Logged Quote mjb50

There's also a fraction of a second of sound missing 1 second later, at the beginning of the word "stop". Can't really hear that one but it's evident in a wave editor.

It seems the UK 45 has the glitch: (ref: YouTube)

So does the US 45 have the glitch too?

Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 December 2023 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Thanks for giving props, Ron! You know I love to help. I think it was Bwci Bo that actually noticed the glitch first, though. I only humbly but efficiently located a version without it, haha.
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

AutumnAarilyn
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 December 2023 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote AutumnAarilyn

Volume IV The Classic Singles 88-93 might fit the bill as
well.

I can't unhear that glitch now.

"Move me no mountain" Hackney mix is the killer cut but
it's on a single and a few compilations.
Back to Top View AutumnAarilyn's Profile Search for other posts by AutumnAarilyn

Plastic Steel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2024 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote Plastic Steel

mjb50 wrote:

So does the US 45 have the glitch too?

I'm not sure about the 45, but I know the cassette single
definitely has the glitch.
Back to Top View Plastic Steel's Profile Search for other posts by Plastic Steel

davidlg1971
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2024 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote davidlg1971

crapfromthepast wrote:
The promo CD single of the "Nellee Hooper's 7 Inch" includes an odd glitch around nine seconds in. There's a drumbeat missing, and the syllable "in" is pasted over the missing beat, so it sounds a little like a stutter. The glitch only affects the attack of one drumbeat, and if you're beat-matching, you wouldn't even notice it.

Yes, I just ripped a copy of the US 12", which contains the same glitch. It seems during mastering one bass drum sample wasn't triggered. I simply copied the initial bass drum sample from the beginning of the song, and pasted it over the glitch point. And voila - it sounds normal: Keep On Movin 7" fix - U-Tube

If that wasn't a creative choice, perhaps someone momentarily muted the bass drum track during playback (unlikely), or the sampler experienced a glitch during mastering (more likely). In that same era I had a Korg M1 keyboard, which you could use to program and record instruments, drums, etc. Periodically, though rarely, during playback samples would get skipped and not show up - despite being programmed correctly. I'd reboot the machine or free up memory, and they would reappear.

Supposition: Likely an accident, but one that was left in intentionally. After all, everyone in the studio, label and so on would have to have noticed that.
Back to Top View davidlg1971's Profile Search for other posts by davidlg1971

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version