Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Erasure-"Chains Of Love" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 November 2007 at 12:01am | IP Logged Quote jimct

My promo CD single (PRO-CD-3140) has the following:

1-7" Remix (Without Intro) (listed 3:40; actual 3:38)
2-Edit (With Intro) (listed 3:56; actual 3:33) **
3-The Unfettered Mix (listed 8:22; actual 8:23)
4-Truly In Love With The Marks Bros. Mix (listed 7:20; actual 7:18)

** - our station played this track in 1988.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 1:24am | IP Logged Quote jimct

I have just pulled out my promo 45 for this. It has a listed & actual (3:38) "7" Remix" on one side, and a listed (3:40), actual (3:32) "Remix Radio Edit" on the other side. I am sure that my (3:38) promo 45's "7" Remix" is the same as my (3:38) "7" Remix (Without Intro)" on my promo CD single. But I am NOT sure if my promo 45's (3:32) "Radio Remix Edit" is the same as my promo CD single's (3:33) "Edit (With Intro)". So I will shoot both of these out to our kind-hearted resident "Audio Ace In The Hole", Aaron K, for his expert analysis.   
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Jim's nicely detailed promo single info regarding Erasure's "Chains of Love" has been incorporated into the database. I thought I'd also add that the actual commercial 45 run time is 3:36 and states 7" Remix on the record label. (Timing info is brought to us once again by the extremely helpful abagon. The printed record label time is 3:38.)
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 October 2010 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

In comparing Jim's promo CD single "Edit (With Intro)" to the promo 45 "Remix Radio Edit," it can be concluded that they are the same.

The database indicates that commercial copies run 3:36 and are labeled 7" Remix. Is the vinyl 45 version a different mix than the album?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 October 2010 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just listened to a version on YouTube that appears to be the LP version. This version does not begin with the synth intro, but instead it opens with a breath and then the vocals and synth start at the same time. The version I have on a TM disc starts with a :03 synth intro before the vocals start. Another difference is after the line "when people on the street" there is a short synth riff. On the version I have on my TM disc, the synth echoes and has a bunch of reverb, which is not the case on the other version.

There is currently no indication of a version difference in the database, but I have a strong feeling there should be.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 October 2010 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Abagon was kind enough to email me both the LP version (from his Japanese pressing) and the US 45 version. Unless the Japanese CD is different than the US, there is definitely a 45/LP distinction needed for "Chains Of Love." The 45 is remixed and includes the :03 intro not on the LP.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Does anyone have a US pressing of the LP/CD that can confirm my findings?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 December 2011 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I have Erasure's The Innocents album on CD (Sire/Reprise 25730) and I can confirm that it contains a different version of "Chains of Love" than what appears on Erasure's Hits! The Very Best of Erasure CD (Sire/Mute 73991). On the Hits! disc, there is a synthesizer intro running approximately 2.7 seconds before the vocals begin, which matches Aaron's description of the 45 intro. But on The Innocents CD, the song instead starts with an opening breath and then the vocals and keyboard kick in at the same time.

"Chains of Love" is also remixed on the Hits! disc which, based on Aaron's description, seems to further establish this being the 45 version. (For example, you can tell the difference between the 45 and LP version in the keyboard immediately following the opening "do you remember" lyric.) Therefore, each database CD should be evaluated on an individual basis to determine which have the 45 version and which have the LP version.

For starters, I can attest that the various artists CD Cutting Edge on JCI 2703 contains the LP version but is missing the opening breath.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 31 December 2011 at 11:16pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 November 2012 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Revisiting this, I'm a bit unclear if the

"Edit (With Intro) / Remix Radio Edit"

described above

running 3:32 / 3:33 in length

is available on a commercial CD.

...Is it?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2020 at 4:41am | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

Bumping as the some information about dj copies is
missing from the database.

ERASURE
1988 CHAINS OF LOVE (dj copies of this cd single run
(3:38) the )

Edited by prisdeej on 14 April 2020 at 4:42am

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2021 at 12:36am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I just discovered some minor anomalies with this song as I was digging through the versions I have.

First off, on at least one the 12" vinyl releases, what is labeled as the "Remix Radio Edit Without Intro," the track actually starts with a synth "lift-off" effect, then eight snare strikes, a female backup singer singing, "mmm, yeah!" and a different mix (or at the very least differently EQ'd enough to give the impression of an independent mix of the same performance). This version runs approximately 3:34, which could lead to it being confused with the LP version.

On this same 12" (Sire PRO-A-3186), a version labeled "Remix Radio Edit With Intro" sounds like the single mix EXCEPT that in addition to the high frequency "sparkle" synthesizer notes of the single version, there are also piano chord strikes on the down-beat of "one" on each measure.

In fact, listening to this version, I realize to make the "RREW/OI" I mentioned above, they silenced the opening keyboards and vocals on this version, because this one has the synth "lift off" sounds starting behind the words, "...words get brokennn..." followed by the snare and background vocalist.

The snare and background vocalist are on the single mix and the LP mix, but not the synth "lift off" effect.

I don't know if these versions have appeared on CD or not; I don't have a tape source for them.

I could see it being confusing that these are labeled "remix radio edit" alongside the versions on CD mentioned in earlier posts that are ALSO labeled "remix radio edit."

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 January 2021 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

This one is a bit confusing given that the same mix has been labeled different things on different formats. Here's a summary...

The LP version (3:36) starts cold with "how can I explain."

The 45 version (3:38) starts with the "twinkle" keyboard, and then the first vocals ("how can I explain") begin at 0:03. This version is labeled 7" Remix on one side of the promo 45 and on the stock 45. It is remixed by Stephen Hague.

The other side of the promo 45 is labeled "Remix Radio Edit" and runs 3:33. This version starts with the synth "lift off" that Gene describes above and is remixed by Shep Pettibone. There is no opening "how can I explain" intro. The US promo CD single also has this version as track 2. On the back insert, it's called "Edit." On the disc label, it's called "Edit With Intro." Finally, on the US promo 12" single, it's called "Radio Remix Edit Without Intro." Obviously this mix was improperly labeled on at least some of the formats, and at this point it's anyone's guess as to what the actual name of it is.

Lastly, there is a version unique to the promo 12" called "Radio Remix Edit With Intro," and is the same basic mix as the "Remix Radio Edit" done by Shep Pettibone. This version, however, has the "twinkle" keyboard for the first :03 (plus additional synth chords not heard on the intro of the 7" Remix), followed by the "how can I explain" vocal. It runs approximately 3:53. I don't believe it has ever been on CD.

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2021 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

Video version below is how I always remember it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J2OlIpQgF8

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2021 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

AdvprosD wrote:
Video version below is how I always
remember it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J2OlIpQgF8

That's the version I remember too.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 January 2021 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

The video version is what CD version?

I'm too lazy to A/B this morning so if anybody knows,
thanks for letting me know!

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 January 2021 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The video has the US 45 version, which is labeled 7” Remix on the
record label.

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 January 2021 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Thanks, Aaron!

Just to clarify - on PRO-CD-3140 it's track 1 (which is
labeled *7" remix (without intro)* that is the video
version.

Am I right??

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 January 2021 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, that's correct. Track 1 of the promo CD single is the same as the video and the US 45 version, which is simply labeled 7" Remix. Something tells me the "with intro" and "without intro" were accidentally swapped on the promo CD track list. It would make a little more sense if it was labeled 7" Remix (With Intro) and Edit (Without Intro), even though the latter still would not have matched other formats with the same mix. In any case, it seems like the "with intro" is referring to the slower "how can I explain" part, and the "without intro" was meant for the versions that do not have that part.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 January 2021 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

aaronk wrote:
Lastly, there is a version unique to the promo 12" called "Radio Remix Edit With Intro," and is the same basic mix as the "Remix Radio Edit" done by Shep Pettibone. This version, however, has the "twinkle" keyboard for the first :03 (plus additional synth chords not heard on the intro of the 7" Remix), followed by the "how can I explain" vocal. It runs approximately 3:53. I don't believe it has ever been on CD.

I've listened to it and it has a thumping bass/club mix style and starts vocals 15 seconds with the last 6 seconds without a beat. Very good remix Aaron it should have made a CD.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version