Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Limahl Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 May 2005 at 11:33pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Pat, in your book you refer to Limahl's "Never Ending Story" dj 45 as having 3:32 and 3:53 versions, and commercial copies all 3:32.

Does the recording on the LP ("Never Ending Story" soundtrack or Limahl's album) clock in at 3:53? I don't have either.

If so, then can you tell us whether the 3:30 entries in your book should read "single version" or "single length"? (And are they different mixes?)

If there was no soundtrack LP, or if the song isn't on the Limahl album, this would be a very strange case of a dj 45 having a longer version than anything else commercially released!
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 May 2005 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Excellent question and here is what I can tell you. There apparently is a soundtrack vinyl LP as it is credited on the picture sleeve of this 45 and was released as EMI 17139, which I do not have. The vinyl LP by Limahl that included "Never Ending Story" was titled "Don't Suppose" and has this song running around 3:29 (it is difficult to get an exact timing because the song fades in very slowly). The commercial 45 and "Don't Suppose" versions are identical. Now the dj 45 that runs 3:53 is a remix and until I can find the soundtrack vinyl LP, that is all the information I can pass along.

Edited by Moderator on 29 May 2005 at 8:30am

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 May 2005 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Very interesting info, Pat. If the soundtrack also has the 3:29 version, this will be a very rare case, one where the dj 45 has a longer version than the commercial 45, artist LP, soundtrack LP, or any CD! I wonder if this 3:53 version might be a 12" remix version, in which case this wouldn't be that unusual of a circumstance.

If you A-B the 3:53 recording with the Limahl LP recording (3:29), and I'm guessing you probably did to determine the remix, did the sections of the song line up (in both versions) until the 3:29 end point, or did they also move the sections around? Just curious.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 May 2005 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Lyrics are in the same order but there are added instrumental interludes on the remix so that you can't sync the vocal passages up. The remix is more of a disco or 12" remix.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 May 2005 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I looked up some information regarding the Never Ending Story soundtrack on allmusic.com and the website indicates a 3:32 run time for Limahl's hit of the same title. This seems to lend credibility to EdisonLite's astute observation that the 3:53 remix may indeed be one of those rare cases where a DJ version is longer than any commercial version.

Allmusic.com also indicates that the Never Ending Story soundtrack has been made available on CD on EMI America E2-92708 and on Capitol 92708. You can cut and paste the following address in your web browser to view all the info:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=&sql=10:0z6ht r7lklmx
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 October 2007 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I am currently trying to track down a copy of that DJ promo 45, and one seller replied with this information:

"Hello thanks for your interest. One side has the 3:53 version titled Ivory Tower. Hope that helps!"

The catalog number of this 45 is EMI 8230. Is this the DJ copy with the "remix" or is this the same as the commercial 45? (The seller says it's a promo, but it might not be the right one.)
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 October 2007 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote eric_a

"Ivory Tower" is the b-side of the commercial single. This is *not* the same song -- it sounds like a theme from the movie. In fact, I think the artist on that side is credited as "The Never Ending Story," not Limahl.

Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 October 2007 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks, Eric! I guess this isn't the copy I'm looking for.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2008 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

A commercial 45 update from our friend abagon... He informs me his copy of "Never Ending Story" runs 3:30 though, like Pat said, it's difficult to pinpoint the first traces of audio signal due to the song's slow fade-in. Pat reported a commercial 45 time of 3:29 earlier in this thread, but for some reason the database currently states commercial copies all run 3:32. I don't mean to try to split hairs, but it looks like the 3:29-3:30 is more accurate of the actual 45 run time (and therefore more in line with the CD times) than what the database currently indicates.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 September 2008 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I have now obtained the vinyl soundtrack to Never Ending Story and the title song runs (3:29).
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I recently purchased a CD reissue of Limahl's Don't Suppose... album on Gold Legion 67094562212. On it, there are two versions of "Never Ending Story". The first is the standard 45/LP version which runs 3:30. The second is a bonus track consisting of the 12" single version (a.k.a. the "Club Mix") with a run time of 6:03. As a side note: Although the CD was mastered using the original master tapes, the audio levels are *severely* brickwalled and compressed (instead of a continual wave of peaks and valleys, the audio file of the 12" single version actually uploads onto my digital editing software as a solid green block!)

Incidentally, Aaron has a copy of the 3:53 promo 45 of "Never Ending Story" and I'm happy to report that he was able to successfully edit the 12" single version to match it. Thanks, Aaron!

Edited by Todd Ireland on 13 June 2013 at 7:51pm

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 June 2013 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote abagon

I again clocked the commercial 45. The actual running time is (3:29). Sorry, Pat and Todd.

The Never Ending Story O.S.T. vinyl runs also (3:29) as well as the commercial 45 and Pat's vinyl LP.(EMI America ST-17139. the listed time "3:32" on the LP record label)

"Don't Suppose" vinyl LP runs (3:27) (EMI America ST-17142. the listed time "3:28" on the LP record label)
It is a shorter length than the O.S.T. LP and the commercial 45. But the version is the same each.

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 12:45am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland wrote:
I recently purchased a CD reissue of Limahl's Don't Suppose... album on Gold Legion 67094562212. On it, there are two versions of "Never Ending Story". The first is the standard 45/LP version which runs 3:30. The second is a bonus track consisting of the 12" single version (a.k.a. the "Club Mix") with a run time of 6:03. As a side note: Although the CD was mastered using the original master tapes, the audio levels are *severely* brickwalled and compressed (instead of a continual wave of peaks and valleys, the audio file of the 12" single version actually uploads onto my digital editing software as a solid green block!)

Bumping this thread back to the top because earlier today, while researching Jellybean's top 40 hit, "Sidewalk Talk", and the Gold Legion label, I noticed that Todd Ireland's info regarding the 2012 U.S. CD re-issue of Limahl's Don't Suppose... album on Gold Legion 6221 (or 562212, if you prefer) was never added to the on-line database. As Todd details, it contains TWO versions of his top 40 hit from 1985, "Never Ending Story". (Don't have the CD myself, but it's one of their titles I wouldn't mind adding to my collection, if I ever order directly from them...)

Also, looking on Gold Legion's official web site at the list of titles already out/in stock (NOT the ones up for pre-order!), I see at least two other CDs of theirs that feature top 40 hits, and thus belong in the db as well: Rejoice by the Emotions (Gold Legion 6229; includes "Best of My Love", and has been out since 2012) and Never Gonna Let You Go by Vicki Sue Robinson (Gold Legion 6213; includes "Turn the Beat Around", and has been out since 2010). While the former has already seen a couple of U.S. CD re-issues on Columbia/Sony over the years, the latter is significant because it marks the album's U.S. CD debut...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 December 2014 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Thanks for adding the (3:30) 45/LP version from Don't Suppose... to the db, Pat. However, just a reminder that Gold Legion 6221 also features as a bonus track the "12" Dance Mix" of "Never Ending Story" (track 11), w/ an actual time of (6:03), according to Todd. Todd also says it matches what was labeled as the "Club Mix" on the A-side of the original U.S. commercial 12" single (EMI America 7854), w/ a printed time of "6:09". Page on Discogs, w/ photos: LIMAHL - "Never Ending Story" (U.S. commercial 12" single)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 April 2021 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

It looks from Discogs like the 3:53 DJ remix is the B-side... reinforcing the idea that the A-side (which I assume matched the commercial single and LP version) is the hit version / mix / length.

Agree? Disagree?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 April 2021 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

NightAire wrote:
It looks from Discogs like the 3:53 DJ
remix is the B-side... reinforcing the idea that the A-
side (which I assume matched the commercial single and LP
version) is the hit version / mix / length.

Agree? Disagree?

I don't personally remember what version was played at the
time, but there is a 1985 aircheck out there of WLOL-FM Minneapolis from when the song was current, and they
played the b-side DJ remix.
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 April 2021 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

The station I was at here in Erie PA, as I recall, played
the DJ remix.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

peterpyser
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 April 2021 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote peterpyser

All (at least i believe) the versions of Neverending Story are now available digitally on Qobuz in cd quality:
https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/never-ending-story-limahl/ 5099930948457
Back to Top View peterpyser's Profile Search for other posts by peterpyser

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version