Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Stevie Nicks - Rooms On Fire Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 October 2007 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I found a shorter edit of this on Now That What I Call Music 15 (Virgin EMI Polygram UK CD NOW 15, 1989), running 4:24, and I think it may be the "Radio Edit" (printed time of 4:19) from the promo CD single Modern PR2691-2.

It's an easy edit from the LP version. Start with the LP version - I chose Atlantic's Year In Review: 1989 (Atlantic PR 3129-2). Then remove 16 beats, editing on the downbeat, from 1:23.2-1:30.8.

That's it.

The mix of this song on both my CDs is pretty thin-sounding - too much treble, not enough bass. It's clear why she remixed everything for her greatest hits, Timespace, which sounds terrific but isn't the original mixes.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 10 August 2020 at 1:10pm

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

crapfromthepast wrote:

It's an easy edit from the LP version. Start with the LP version - I chose Atlantic's Year In Review: 1989 (Atlantic PR 3129-2). Then remove 16 beats, editing on the downbeat, from 1:23.2-1:30.8.

That's it.

I know songs are usually edited to try to get more radio play, but in an almost 4 1/2 minute song that's the only edit? It's almost a case of "why bother", don't you think?
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

There are MANY cases where you wonder, "Why bother?"
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 October 2007 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Agreed. I could understand this practice back in the '50s and '60s when record labels were concerned about shaving off a few seconds here and there to stay under the 3:00 time limit many radio stations demanded at the time. But some of the hits containing small edits for promo and 45 release that have come since (i.e. - Little River Band's "The Other Guy"; Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time") really do puzzle me.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 January 2009 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

crapfromthepast wrote:
I found a shorter edit of this on Now That What I Call Music 15 (Virgin EMI Polygram UK CD NOW 15, 1989), running 4:24, and I think it may be the "Radio Edit" (printed time of 4:19) from the promo CD single Modern PR2691-2.
Ron, FYI, I have just discovered that the actual time of my 1-track, PR 2691-2, listed time of (4:19) promo CD single is actually (4:29).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 January 2009 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Hmm... do you think your 4:29 version is the LP version?
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 January 2009 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I'm a step ahead of you, Ron. I already have both versions ready to be analyzed by Aaron K, and one of us will soon follow up.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 June 2009 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

In a recent e-mail conversation with Abagon, he reported he has a cassette dub of "Rooms on Fire" as it appears on the Japanese pressing of Stevie Nicks' The Other Side of the Mirror vinyl LP and claims the song's run time is 4:25. Meanwhile, according to the database, "Rooms on Fire" has a 4:34 length on the album's U.S. CD release (Modern 91245).

Does anyone have a U.S. pressing of The Other Side of the Mirror vinyl LP who can pass along the run time of "Rooms on Fire"?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 June 2009 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote abagon

I presume that the "Rooms On Fire" on the US vinyl LP "The Other Side of the Mirror" is different from the US commercial 45.
Because The 45 states the descriptions of the "7 remix, Mixed by Stephen W. Tayler, and Remixed from Modern LP 91245 The Other Side Of The Mirror" on the record label (Modern 7-99216).

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2010 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as modern 99216 states the version as (7" remix) with a listed run time of 4:32 but actually runs 4:25...this 45 info s/b added to the db....it looks like there may be two pressings......my runout groove info is "st-mr-56985-3 or-22981-3 24842"

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2011 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I'm holding the CD single that was sent to the top 40 station I was at when it was released.

It lists two tracks:

1. (7" remixed edit) listed 4:24, actual 4:27 file length
2. (7" remix) listed 4:29, actual 4:30 file length

The CD's # is PR 2744-2, Modern Records, a Warner Communications company. (P) 1989

"The Modern album 'The Other Side Of The Mirror' available on LP 91245-1, cassette 91245-4 and compact disc 91245-2."

The disc appears to have been stored in sandpaper for the past 22 years, so it's going to take a while to rip it in & tell you actual AUDIO length; I'll report back when I have solid numbers.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Anybody noticed mixing differences between the "The
Other Side of the Mirror" album version and either of
the tracks on PR 2744-2 which are allegedly remixes? I
did a partial (and quick) compare listen and honestly
couldn't tell any difference, must be very subtle?
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 July 2019 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

The new Stevie Nicks single cd "Stand Back" has listed in the liner notes that the 45 versions of "Rooms On Fire" and "Talk To Me" are the US single versions but I am having a hard time distinguishing the difference between the 45 version and LP version of both of those songs. Can anyone point out what I should be listening for to distinguish the 45 version from the LP version of those two songs?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Pat Downey wrote:
The new Stevie Nicks single cd "Stand Back" has listed in the liner notes that the 45 versions of "Rooms On Fire" and "Talk To Me" are the US single versions but I am having a hard time distinguishing the difference between the 45 version and LP version of both of those songs. Can anyone point out what I should be listening for to distinguish the 45 version from the LP version of those two songs?

The 45 version on the CD single from 1989 runs 8 seconds shorter for Rooms on Fire and is a remix edit, with the remix running 4:29. The greatest hits version and subsequently any releases after the 1989 CD single do not have the correct release. Check your PM concerning the Remix Single version vs the LP version.

https://www.discogs.com/Stevie-Nicks-Rooms-On-Fire/release/3 440113

The 4:29 is on a cd single promo with the remix edit of 4:24

https://www.discogs.com/Stevie-Nicks-Rooms-On-Fire/release/6 258627

Edited by PopArchivist on 29 July 2019 at 5:18pm
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 July 2019 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I have the promo cd single Modern Records PR 2744 which has 2 tracks, the first is the 7" remixed edit which runs (4:24) and the second track which is the 7" remix running (4:29). I also have a 7" vinyl DJ copy which states 7" remix and runs (4:29) so I can only assume that the US 45 version was the 7" remix running (4:29). The parent CD for Rooms On Fire was "The Other Side Of The Mirror" which runs (4:34). There are two versions of the new CD titled "Stand Back". One is a 3 cd set and on there Rooms On Fire runs (4:33) and to my ears sounds the same as the parent album version. The 2nd "Stand Back" CD is a single CD set and on this cd Rooms On Fire runs (4:28) and the liner notes state this is the US 45 version which would be the 7" remix.

Now on May 14, Elcoleccionista posted that he cannot hear the difference between the mix on the parent album and the 7" remix version found on the vinyl 45 or the promo cd referenced above and I am saying the same thing. Can anyone point out exactly what is remixed on the 7" remix version as I am not hearing any difference except in length between the LP version and the 7" remix (45 version). All the other versions of this song on cd that run 4:32, 4:33 or 4:44 appear to be just an LP length.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2024 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

elcoleccionista wrote:
Anybody noticed mixing differences between the "The
Other Side of the Mirror" album version and either of
the tracks on PR 2744-2 which are allegedly remixes? I
did a partial (and quick) compare listen and honestly
couldn't tell any difference, must be very subtle?

I'm with you on this one! The mixing differences from the parent album versus the
7 inch remix on the promo CD single must be VERY subtle. I can't detect any
difference at all. Am I missing something other than length?

Edited by prisdeej on 30 January 2024 at 10:26am

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2024 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

They seem to be identical. The "Rooms On Fire" single preceded the album release... my theory is that remix of the song for the single was considered stronger, and thus wound up replacing whichever version was to have appeared on The Other Side Of The Mirror originally.
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

75azabache
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 February 2024 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote 75azabache

Underground Dub wrote:
They seem to be identical. The "Rooms On Fire" single preceded the album release... my theory is that remix of the song for the single was considered stronger, and thus wound up replacing whichever version was to have appeared on The Other Side Of The Mirror originally.

I remember discussing track this some years ago with a colleague who was a big Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks fan, we opined that the 9 minute version found on the 12" might have been the original version intended for the album given it has a more sparse feel.
Back to Top View 75azabache's Profile Search for other posts by 75azabache

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version