Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: CDs with songs mastered from vinyl Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 November 2007 at 1:28am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Well, I'll be damned! The deluxe edition of Marvin Gaye's I Want You on CD dubs the promo 45 version of the title track directly from vinyl! I hadn't noticed this until listening to it more carefully. It's easy to tell by looking at the wave file zoomed in on the screen. Furthermore, you can clearly hear the crackle on the fade out if you turn up the volume.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

waldo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 November 2007 at 3:56am | IP Logged Quote waldo

entire albums:

Carole Bayer Sager - Sometimes Late At Night
the USA cd. not the Japanese one.

Minnie Riperton - Come To My Garden
all different issues UK, USA, Australia, Japan

Back to Top View waldo's Profile Search for other posts by waldo

jcr102
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 November 2007 at 4:03am | IP Logged Quote jcr102

In the early 90's, when the Guess Who's albums were just starting to appear on CD, I bought So Long Bannatyne on RCA. Turns out the entire CD was mastered from an LP. In fact, when I compared it with my original LP, it was almost identical in sound in terms of record wear. I've always wondered why they did this....
Back to Top View jcr102's Profile Search for other posts by jcr102

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 November 2007 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Waldo:

Do you have the Japanese pressing of Carole Sager Bayer's Sometimes Late at Night CD and, if so, do all the tracks segue together like on the U.S. pressing?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

waldo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 November 2007 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote waldo

Todd Ireland wrote:
Waldo:

Do you have the Japanese pressing of Carole Sager Bayer's Sometimes Late at Night CD and, if so, do all the tracks segue together like on the U.S. pressing?

yes i have it. i believe some of them do. Wasn't it like that on the original vinyl? the Japanese issue is wonderful. you can hear awful pops and clicks on the cheapo USA CD.

Edited by waldo on 27 November 2007 at 7:47am
Back to Top View waldo's Profile Search for other posts by waldo

Tim Lyman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 December 2007 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Tim Lyman

The 45 version of Dickie Goodman's "Mr. Jaws" is mastered from noisy vinyl on all three of its U.S. CD appearances.

Not only did they chop off the opening note, but it sounds like the record or stylus (or both) was in dire need of cleaning.
Back to Top View Tim Lyman's Profile Search for other posts by Tim Lyman

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 2:06am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Shannon's "Let The Music Play" on Pure 80s Dance is mastered from vinyl. I suspect there are several others that also use vinyl sources.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 2:22am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Nu Shooz "I Can't Wait" is a vinyl dub on both CDs I have it on: Billboard Hot R&B Hits 1986 and Only Dance 1985-1989. Does anyone know if a tape source exists for the 45 version? Are the LP & 12" versions on CD from tape sources, and if so, can they both be edited to match the 45?

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

I always thought that "I Can't Wait" on the Only Dance 85-89 CD sounded like it was a vinyl dub--glad to know I wasn't imagining things!
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Keep in mind, the original Atlantic single sounded a little like it was taken from vinyl.

Even the original regional label it was on sounded a little like it was taken from vinyl...

It was a home recording turned into a smash; I bet even the absolute first-generation mix has artifacts.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 December 2007 at 12:06am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Andy, that's good information to know. Does the LP version sound this way, too?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 December 2007 at 12:20am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron, I do own two, mint Atlantic promo 12" singles for "I Can't Wait", and I also own a never-been-played 45 on its original, small-label issue (Poolside 1001). Maybe better sound can be found here somewhere, although Andy's "Oregon home recording turned smash" comment is 100% correct, and those nasty "artifacts" could really and truly be found everywhere for this one - we'll see.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Citizen
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 December 2007 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote Citizen

A number of tracks on Rhino's Have a Nice Day series are from vinyl, including Ronnie McDowell's "The King is Gone," Starland Vocal Band's "Afternoon Delight," and all three of Gallery's hits ("So Nice to Be With You," "I Believe in Music," "Big City Miss Ruth Ann").
Back to Top View Citizen's Profile Search for other posts by Citizen

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 December 2007 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Speaking of the Have A Nice Day series, if I'm not mistaken, Cyndi Greco's "Making Our Dreams Come True" is mastered from vinyl.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 December 2007 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

So is Austin Roberts' "Rocky".
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Tim Lyman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote Tim Lyman

Todd Ireland wrote:
Earlier this year, there was a discussion on the Both Sides Now message board (www.bsnpubs.com) claiming that most, if not all, CD appearances of Gallery's three Top 40 singles are mastered from vinyl. In fact, it was our own EdisonLite who initiated the discussion and wondered why all three Gallery songs appearing on the Rhino Super Hits of the 70's CD series came from vinyl sources.

I have to wonder if the master tapes for Gallery's "Sussex" label-mates, Wadsworth Mansion, are also missing. I have the faded and cold-ending versions of the 45 version of "Sweet Mary" on Rhino's "Super Hits of the '70s Volume 4" and Varese Sarabande's "Dick Bartley Presents Collector's Essentials: On the Radio Volume 4", respectively, and both master this song from vinyl.

Does anyone know of a CD that masters this song from a tape source?
Back to Top View Tim Lyman's Profile Search for other posts by Tim Lyman

vanmeter
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote vanmeter

AndrewChouffi wrote:
Keep in mind, the original Atlantic single sounded a little like it was taken from vinyl.

Wow, and I always thought my 45 was just a lousy pressing since I know exactly what you're saying about it. Glad to hear somebody say this.
Back to Top View vanmeter's Profile Search for other posts by vanmeter

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2008 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I recently purchased the various artist CD Smooth Grooves: Cruisin' Classics (Rhino 78263) in hopes that the complete "hit" 45/LP length of Tierra's "Together" was mastered from a tape source. Much to my disappointment, the song was dubbed from noisy vinyl. Has anyone been able to acquire the stereo 4:24 length on CD that isn't mastered from a record?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 January 2008 at 10:17pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

eriejwg wrote:
Speaking of the Have A Nice Day series, if I'm not mistaken, Cyndi Greco's "Making Our Dreams Come True" is mastered from vinyl.

I have a copy of the Rhino 70s Pop Culture box set, and this CD also has "Making Our Dreams Come True" mastered from vinyl. Jim recently sent me a dub from Time Life's Sounds Of The Seventies: The Late 70's, and this one is mastered from vinyl, too. Has anyone come across this one from tape source?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2008 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Aaron:

I have "Making Our Dreams Come True" on the Tube Tunes Volume One - The '70s CD (Rhino 71910) and it sounds like Rhino was able to secure a tape source for the mastering on this CD.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version