Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: CDs with songs mastered from vinyl Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 September 2007 at 11:44pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'll start off the thread...

On Tommy Boy's Hip Hop Essentials Vol. 1, the song "Supersonic" by JJ Fad is taken from a very poor vinyl source. (Pure laziness on the part of the producer, since this track has appeared on numerous discs from tape source.)
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 12:47am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

All CDs with the song "Rocky" by Austin Roberts are mastered from vinyl, as the Private Stock master tape (like many from that label) was lost/destroyed.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 4:36am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

"Uh! Oh! (Part 2)" by The Nutty Squirrels on SMSP's "Fun Rock" is definitely from vinyl... you can plainly hear the crackles through headphones.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

There has been a recent thread on the Steve Hoffman forum where he indicates that "Surfin' Bird" on the DCC Beach Classics CD was mastered from a 45 (using Wesson Oil, no less), and that no master exists. This implies that all CD appearances of this song were mastered from vinyl.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote eric_a

On the Casablanca Record Box Set, the 12" version of "Flashdance...What A Feeling" by Irene Cara sounds crackly in quiet sections. I suspect this means vinyl noise, unless my CD is in poor condition.
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I posted this one a long time ago on another thread... Vanity Fare's "Early in the Morning" appears to have been mastered from vinyl on the various artist CDs: Super Hits of the 70's Volume 1 (Rhino 70921) and History of Rock Volume 6 (Collectables 5066). I detect groove distortion at times on higher frequencies such as "s" sounds and crackling is evident during the fadeout.

If I had to guess, all CD appearances to date are probably mastered from vinyl. If that's indeed the case, does anyone know if master tapes still exist for "Early in the Morning"?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 26 September 2007 at 1:38pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Earlier this year, there was a discussion on the Both Sides Now message board (www.bsnpubs.com) claiming that most, if not all, CD appearances of Gallery's three Top 40 singles are mastered from vinyl. In fact, it was our own EdisonLite who initiated the discussion and wondered why all three Gallery songs appearing on the Rhino Super Hits of the 70's CD series came from vinyl sources. I haven't had a chance to re-listen to those CDs yet, but I will when I get a chance.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

Roscoe wrote:
..."Surfin' Bird" on the DCC Beach Classics CD was mastered from a 45 (using Wesson Oil, no less)...

What does Wesson Oil do? Is this a mastering trick, or am I missing a joke?
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Guess I'll take my vinyl 45's medium well! ;)
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Ever since it's been available on CD, sounds like "Skyhigh" from Jigsaw is mastered from vinyl. Especially in the opening 3 seconds or so.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

eric_a wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
..."Surfin' Bird" on the DCC Beach Classics CD was mastered from a 45 (using Wesson Oil, no less)...

What does Wesson Oil do? Is this a mastering trick, or am I missing a joke?

It's actually not a joke! Apparently, this is a mastering trick of Hoffman's to reduce surface noise when doing a vinyl transfer. I guess you wouldn't plan on re-using that record again after the transfer!

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Vanity Fare's "Early in the Morning" is on a Repertoire import "The Sun The Wind and Other Things" from 1991 I believe from a tape. I know it was issued on Collectables, but don't know if same source was used.

Jigsaw "Skyhigh" is indeed mastered from vinyl on many VA comps (I have only 3 total), however I believe it's from tape on Targon's Very Best Of (or cleaned up very well!).

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

I believe the 45 version of "Creeque Alley" by the Mamas & Papas on the Dick Bartley On The Radio CD is a vinyl transfer (no tapes survive for that one).

Also, I remember hearing that the 45 version of Amii Stewart's "Knock On Wood" on the Varese CDs "Then 1 Totally Oldies" and "Disco Classics" is a vinyl transfer; no one has been able to find the master tape of the 45 version with its unique intro.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Yes, all 3 Gallery top 40 hits are mastered from vinyl, as apparently the Sussex master tapes for Gallery have not been found. "Nice to Be With You" is cleaned up better than the other two, but all 3 are definitely mastered from vinyl!
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

<Jigsaw "Skyhigh" is indeed mastered from vinyl on many VA comps (I have only 3 total), however I believe it's from tape on Targon's Very Best Of (or cleaned up very well!).>

Being that I was the co-producer of Taragon's "Very Best of Jigsaw" I can confirm that the master tape was used. All Jigsaw import CDs that contain "Sky High" are from master tape, too. I don't have all the U.S. various artist comps, and I can't quite recall about the Rhino "Super Hits", other than I remember the intro was faded in instead of starting at the proper volume, and that does make me suspicious as to whether they used vinyl and needed to cover it up in the quiet spot.

Edited by EdisonLite on 26 September 2007 at 6:49pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 September 2007 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Stonebolt's "I Will Still Love You", which appears on one CD only, Varese Sarabande's "Lost 45s of the '70s and '80s Vol. 2", is mastered from vinyl.

Also, in case anyone is interested, I was told by someone who works at Varese Sarabande that "Just So Lonely" by Get Wet (a #39 Billboard hit) was mastered from vinyl (and it's quite evident just from listening.) This person told me that no one could locate the single or album tapes.

Edited by EdisonLite on 27 September 2007 at 8:53am

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 September 2007 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

"Almost Summer" by Celebration, which appears on one CD only, "Guilty Pleasures", is mastered from vinyl. If you listen on headphones especially, you can hear the record crackling.

Edited by EdisonLite on 27 September 2007 at 8:52am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 October 2007 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Roscoe wrote:
I believe the 45 version of "Creeque Alley" by the Mamas & Papas on the Dick Bartley On The Radio CD is a vinyl transfer (no tapes survive for that one).

You're definitely correct about that. I had a chance to listen to the Bartley CD tonight, and not only is it a vinyl source, but they used excessive noise reduction on it. Some of the fidelity of the original song has been lost from overuse of the noise removal tool.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

BradOlson
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote BradOlson

The French versions of "Ringo" and "Sand" on the Bear Family boxed set of the Bonanza cast albums are clearly needle drops with the surface noise intact. The Canadian CD of the Irish Rovers' Greatest Hits 2 LP set is clearly a needle drop to the point that one can clearly hear a click and pop on "Goodnight Irene," but this does have the best remastering of "The Unicorn" I have ever heard. I have heard Bear Family's remastering of Gordon Lightfoot's cover of "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" as it appears on "Sunday Concert...Plus" and that is a noisy needle drop as well.

Edited by BradOlson on 14 October 2007 at 6:26pm
Back to Top View BradOlson's Profile Search for other posts by BradOlson

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

the entire "Best of Johnny Thunder" cd on Collectables is a vinyl dub, with the original Loop De Loop album in stereo and two bonus tracks off mono 45's. Record noise and noise reduction can be heard through headphones.

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version