Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Climie Fisher - Love Changes (Everything) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 August 2007 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I've liked this song since it came out in 1988, and I wouldn't have noticed anything was odd until I read through the notes of Living In Oblivion Vol. 5 and saw the notation "single remix".

So, I dug out my CD of Everything, my 45, and the other 9 compilations that have the song, and this is what I found.

The 45 runs about 3:54 and is an early fade of the US album version, with a 32-beat fade starting at 3:31. The US album version runs about a minute longer.

The US 45 (Capitol B-44137 has "Mixed by Bob Clearmountain" printed on the A-side, along with "original version appears on the LP 'Everything'". This is a remix, as noted by the "mix" credit, but the Bob Clearmountain remix is also what appears on the US CD - that's the only track mixed by Bob Clearmountain on the album. Not sure what's on the vinyl LP.

The B-side of the 45, a song called "Never Close To The Show", is credited with "from the LP Everything", but doesn't actually appear on the album. Odd.

So I played all 10 versions of "Love Changes (Everything)", and I found that the following CDs all contain the US hit remix:
  • Everything (Capitol CDP 7 90514 2)
  • Living In Oblivion Vol. 5 (EMI, 1995)
  • Retro Lunchbox Gooey Love Songs (EMI-Captiol, 1997; digitally exactly 1.6 dB quieter than Living In Oblivion)
  • Now That's What I Call Music 12 (UK)
  • Now 1988 (Virgin EMI PolyGram UK 27024, 1993; digitally exactly 0.382 dB quieter than Now 12)
  • Now 1988 The Millennium Series (Virgin EMI Universal UK 20277, 1999)
  • Smash Hits Party 88 (Dover UK, 1988)
  • Eighties Complete (EMI Australia, 1997)

Surprisingly, I found two CDs that appear to have the "original" mix, which never appeared in the US. The UK "hit" version was the Bob Clearmountain remix, so my guess is that this "original" mix is the UK album version - can't confirm, though. The drums are boomier, and the keyboard solo at the 3-minute mark is mixed farther into the background.

The "original" mix is on:
  • Greatest Hits Of The 80's (Disky 853222 8-CD box, 1998)
  • Greatest Hits Of The 80s (Disky BX 791682; another 8-CD box, 2002)

The remix runs at 112.0 or 112.3 BPM; the "original mix" runs a little slower at 111.1 BPM.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2007 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

Excellent work!

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 August 2007 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

Thanks for the info on this, crapfromthepast--I had always wondered what the "single remix" notation on LIO referred to as well.

By the way, does anyone know if a US promo CD single was ever issued for this song?
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 August 2007 at 4:56am | IP Logged Quote jimct

995wlol, Capitol sent our station the UK import commercial EMI CD single for this. We received no U.S. promo CD single for it. This was not all that unusual for 1988, still the early days for CD singles. Also, Capitol happened to be among the VERY last of the major labels to provide consistent promo CD singles to us, during this time of transition. I do remember working off of the import CD single, when we were deciding whether or not to add the song. It is "CDEM47", and contains the following:

1-Love Changes (Everything) (no listed time; actual time 4:27) (says "mixed by Bob Clearmountain")
2-Rise To The Occasion (Hip Hop Remix)
3-Never Close The Show
4-Love Changes (Everything) (Extended Mix) (no listed time; actual time 5:43) (says "mixed by Bob Kraushaar")        

Crapfromthepast does not happen to state the running time of the 2 CDs that he says has the "original mix" on his earlier post. For what it's worth, on-air, we played this song off of the import CD single. I have also pulled out my promo 45, and both sides do contain the listed and actual (3:54) version that "crap...." (maybe you can change that nickname?) :) indicates as appearing on those 8 CDs. But, after listening to, and timing both sides of my promo 45, I can confirm that we did NOT play this (3:54) version on-the-air. However, despite this, I still consider the (3:54) 45 version as the "official U.S. hit version" - just providing some 1988 radio details to chew on, for what it's worth.

Edited by jimct on 12 August 2007 at 4:59am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 August 2007 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

Thanks, Jim, for another excellent piece of radio detail behind a song. I always enjoy hearing your "insider's" perspective.
For what it's worth, here in Mpls. 99 1/2 WLOL played the (3:54) early fade (based on a 1989 aircheck I have), so at least some stations did indeed play the 45 version.
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 August 2007 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The "original" mixes on the Disky compilations run about 4:27 total time, so they're the same edits as the LP version and all the other versions I've found on CD.

And my username comes from the name of my radio show, "Crap From The Past". As in... "There's a lot of crap on the radio, but there's only one Crap From The Past". It's like a graduate-level course in pop music, and it's been around for over 15 years. Sorry if it offends - I don't even think about it anymore.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2007 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Does your show also air over the internet, as does Barry Scott's weekly show "Lost 45s"?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2007 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Indeed. We broadcast live on Friday nights from 10:30 to midnight on KFAI-FM/Minneapolis, and we stream live from www.KFAI.org. There's an archive of old shows and playlists at www.crapfromthepast.com.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

Regarding Climie Fisher's "Love Changes (Everything)", I've noticed the song's parent LP/CD Everything (Capitol 90514) has a run time of 4:28 and contains the comment: "45 mix but :34 longer" in the database. Since crapfromthepast verified in his initial post that the commercial 45 is an early fade of the Everything CD, wouldn't it be more appropriate for the three database CDs, all running 4:26-4:28, to instead have an "LP length" comment?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 14 November 2011 at 6:09pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 November 2011 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote abagon

Nice pointing out, Todd.

I don't have the US pressing "Everything" LP, but I have the UK pressing LP. (listed 4:32 actual 4:33 EMI EMC 3538)
I compared the US commercial 45 with it.
The first "oooh" chorus appears on the UK LP at :10, and on the US commercial 45 at :16.
If the UK LP is the same thing as the US LP. This tune will not have "length" comment.

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 November 2011 at 12:29am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks for the information, abagon.

I have "Love Changes (Everything)" on the various artists CD Living in Oblivion - The 80's Greatest Hits Volume Five (EMI 32694) and if you're referring specifically to the lead vocal, it begins at the :16 mark on this CD just like on the 45. (There are also some background vocals that start at the :06 mark.) So it appears then that the database CDs containing this song are indeed the U.S. LP length.

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2013 at 11:55pm | IP Logged Quote Loveland

crapfromthepast wrote:
I've liked this song since it came out in 1988, and I wouldn't have noticed anything was odd until I read through the notes of Living In Oblivion Vol.
and saw the notation "single remix".

Ron, I LOVE this song as well. God, I loved to watch the music video as well.   I might be able to shed some light on this.

"Love Changes (Everything)" was originally released in the U.K. (and surprisingly the U.S.) in 1987, but it was a massive bomb. I believe this German Vinyl Maxi contains the
original Album Version aka 1987 7" Version:

http://www.discogs.com/Climie-Fisher-Love-Changes-Everything /release/881733

This is the original U.K. CD Maxi from 1987, which I'm also sure it features the original Album Version / 1987 7" Version:

http://www.discogs.com/Climie-Fisher-Love-Changes-Everything /release/2618385

The third single, "Rise To The Occasion", hit the U.K. Top 10 and included the original Album Version / 1987 7" Version of "Love Changes (Everything)" as well:

http://www.discogs.com/Climie-Fisher-Rise-To-The-Occasion/re lease/698138

After the Top 10 success of "Rise To The Occasion", EMI U.K. re-released "Love Changes (Everything)" as the next single. It was released under the title of "Love Changes
(Everything) [Remix]", which explains the "Single Remix" name. It's included on the 1998 U.K. re-issue of the CD Maxi:

http://www.discogs.com/Climie-Fisher-Love-Changes-Everything /release/692224

Note the remix credit by Bob Clearmountain, which does not appear on the previous two singles.

The 1987 single version is called "7" Version", per the U.K./European vinyl maxi singles. In the U.K. and Europe, the 1988 single version is simply called "Remix", while in the
U.S. is called "Single Mix" or "Single Remix".

http://www.discogs.com/Climie-Fisher-Love-Changes-Everything /release/217212

Edited by Loveland on 20 April 2013 at 11:58pm
Back to Top View Loveland's Profile Search for other posts by Loveland

musicmanatl
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote musicmanatl

Thanks for the very interesting background information on this song. I'm also a big fan of their other hit, "Rise To The Occasion". I only knew the original LP version back in 1988, and I was *shocked* to hear the hip-hop remix that was apparently the hit version in the UK. It's horrendous and completely ruins the song.

Here's the original version, which I believe was released as the US single version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyNsVsMA-q0

And here is the hip-hop remix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk7qt2W6cwM

Wow, it pains me even today to hear how they ruined that beautiful song. lol

Frank
Back to Top View musicmanatl's Profile Search for other posts by musicmanatl

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Loveland:

Welcome to the message board and thank you for all your nicely detailed info regarding CDs from "across the pond"! Even though Pat's database focuses exclusively on U.S. CD titles, your information is helpful to the many folks here who are also interested in American Top 40 singles and versions that have been released on CD and other formats outside the U.S.

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote abagon

abagon wrote:

I don't have the US pressing "Everything" LP, but I have the UK pressing LP. (listed 4:32 actual 4:33 EMI EMC 3538)
I compared the US commercial 45 with it.
The first "oooh" chorus appears on the UK LP at :10, and on the US commercial 45 at :16.
If the UK LP is the same thing as the US LP. This tune will not have "length" comment.

--abagon

I got the U.S. "Everything" LP (Capitol C1-90514). The listed and the actual running time are the same "4:28". The U.S. LP is slight faster and shorter than the U.K. LP (actual running time 4:33.) Also, the UK LP has an low voice "oooh" chorus at 0:10. The U.S. LP doesn't has it, but has a delay effect on the vocal part at 0:30-0:50. Therefore, The U.S. LP is the remixed LP version of the original U.K. LP version. The U.S. commercial 45 is surely an early fade of the U.S. LP.

--abagon

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote Loveland

abagon wrote:
I got the U.S. "Everything" LP (Capitol C1-90514). The listed and the actual running time are the same "4:28". The U.S. LP is slight faster and
shorter than the U.K. LP (actual running time 4:33.) Also, the UK LP has an low voice "oooh" chorus at 0:10. The U.S. LP doesn't has it, but has a delay effect
on the vocal part at 0:30-0:50. Therefore, The U.S. LP is the remixed LP version of the original U.K. LP version. The U.S. commercial 45 is surely an early
fade of the U.S. LP.

--abagon

The "Everything" album was issued twice (both the U.K. and U.S.).

One issue, with the 4:30 Single Remix, aka Single Mix, aka Single Remix: Capitol Records
Vinyl: C1-90514 / 0 7777-90514-1 0
CD: C2-90514 / 0 7777-90514-2 7

Another issue, with the 4:35 7" Version: Capitol Records
Vinyl: C1-48338 / 0 7777-48338-1 3
CD: C2-48338 / 0 7777 48338-2 0

Now I'm assuming that one issue was released in 1987 and the other one in 1988 (Amazon lists a 2002 (!) release for one and no release date for the other one).

Looking at the bar codes, it's safe to assume that the 48338 was issued first, followed by the 90514 issue.

Edited by Loveland on 22 April 2013 at 11:43am

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote abagon

It's a great information for me, because I'm now collecting the original 80's LPs including Top 40 hits.
Thanks, Loveland!

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 June 2013 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote abagon

I got the U.S. vinyl LP "Everything" of the catalogue number "C1-48338". The first number LP is NOT different from the 2nd number LP.

--abagon

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 June 2013 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Loveland

abagon wrote:
The first number LP is NOT different from the 2nd number LP.

What do you mean by that?

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 June 2013 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote abagon

Loveland wrote:
abagon wrote:
The first number LP is NOT different from the 2nd number LP.

What do you mean by that?

Sorry for the poor expression, Loveland.

Both the "Everything" LP records that I possess are the same mix and the same length. They are not the same as the U.K. "Everything" LP.

The matrix number etched on the run-out groove on Side 1.

C1-48338 : C1-1-48338 F-1 B-30611-F1 triangle mark 19936

C1-90514 :@C1-1-90517-FQ B-30611-F2 (C1-1-48338 with strike through) triangle mark 19936

--abagon

Edited by abagon on 07 June 2013 at 10:46pm

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version