Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Mick Jagger - Just Another Night Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 July 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

While trying to create the DJ edit of Mick Jagger's "Just Another Night," I noticed some mix differences in the edit when compared with the CD version. This, of course, leads me to believe that the longer, stock 45 version is also mixed differently, although the differences are minor.

First of all, on the beginning two drum beats of the CD version, I hear a "whoosh" sound effect in the background. On the DJ 45, I hear the two drum beats with no whoosh. On the CD version at 2:17, when Mick sings "don't you see that I'm human," there's drum hits that bounce back and forth between each channel. On the DJ 45, the drum beats are centered. (This same difference also occurs at 1:15 on the LP version.)

Those are two obvious differences, although there are more very SLIGHT differences--the kind of differences that Pat would not account for in the database. Overall, the LP version is more "centered" than the DJ 45 version, although they are both in stereo.

Can anyone confirm that the stock 45 version also has the differences I'm noticing on the DJ copy?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I only have the dj copy of this song and while I don't hear a "whoosh" sound on the opening two drum beats on the cd, I do hear what I would call some reverb added to the drum beats on cd. The dj 45 appears to be dry so I would be curious to see what others that may have the commercial 45 think.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat, I think what you're calling added reverb is what I'm calling the "whoosh." Whatever the case may be, are you hearing this on the "long version" as well as the "edited version?" If so, I believe we have a very subtle difference between the stock 45 and LP versions.

(I don't have the "long version" to check. I only have the "short version" dubbed from a friend's record and the CD/LP version.)
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 July 2007 at 5:22am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I notice a difference in reverb on both the short and long versions of the dj copy that I have. This does not mean that the commercial 45 was pressed with this difference however.

Edited by Pat Downey on 17 July 2007 at 7:52pm
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 July 2007 at 6:12am | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

This is interesting because I have been intending to post about this since I attempted the same edit a couple of months ago. I noticed the same mix differences as arronk using the promotional 12" as my basis. It includes the "Edit" on side 1 and the "LP" version on side 2. After noting the difference, I decided to give the LP version from the promo 12" a listen and sure enough, it had the same mix differences as the Edit. So it appears the "LP" version on side 2 of the promo 12" is actually an LP length remix...unless perhaps there are different mixes between the CD and vinyl versions of "She's the Boss"?
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 July 2007 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

So my suspicions about the "LP version" on the 12" promo are correct; it doesn't match the LP version on the CD. Now we just need to find out if commercial 45s have the same mix as the 12" and are also different from the CD LP version.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 August 2011 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as columbia 04783 states the run time on the label as 5:13 and does indeed run that length......i just a/b'ed the 5:13 vinyl 45 version versus the version on the cd "she's the boss" and they sound identical to me......are you guys ONLY talking about the shorter promo vinyl 45 as being different, because to me the 5:13 commercial vinyl version and the cd version are identical.....if anyone else can confirm what i'm hearing, then the db needs to be amended......

Edited by edtop40 on 21 August 2011 at 9:12am

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2011 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

edtop40 wrote:
my commercial 45 issued as columbia 04783 states the run time on the label as 5:13 and does indeed run that length......i just a/b'ed the 5:13 vinyl 45 version versus the version on the cd "she's the boss" and they sound identical to me......are you guys ONLY talking about the shorter promo vinyl 45 as being different, because to me the 5:13 commercial vinyl version and the cd version are identical.....if anyone else can confirm what i'm hearing, then the db needs to be amended......

So your 45 doesn't contain the mix differences that Aaron pointed out in his post?
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2011 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

From reading all the above info,
it appears they may have released the promo 12" and dj 45's first (makes sense, that was normal) ...
then decided on a remix for the 45, and at the same time simply used this remix on the concurrent LP / CD release.
It also makes sense they'd remix it and add more "whoosh", not take any away. Seems every remix back then had more "whooosh". :-)
Another case of 'the 45 version becomes the LP version'.
Make sense?
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 August 2011 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Great theory! Ed, can you confirm that the 45 copy you have has the drums bouncing back and forth between channels when he sings "don't you see that I'm human" (at about 2:17)?

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2011 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the cd version from "she's the boss" has the drums bouncing back and forth between channels at the 2:18 mark.....while the vinyl 45 has them but just not as pronounced.....too subtle to qualify and a mix difference in my estimation.....

Edited by edtop40 on 22 August 2011 at 5:21pm

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 August 2011 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

Funny--i used to have the 'twelve inch' version of this song--or so I thought until i discovered it was just the full length album version. But with people talking about a remix on this thread, I looked into it on discogs. I never realized there was a different 12" release that actually had a Francois Kevorkian club mix that ran two minutes longer than the album version. Just ordered a copy and can't wait to hear it.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

Ron S
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 February 2019 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Ron S

So is there a version available to recreate the 45 version?
Back to Top View Ron S's Profile Search for other posts by Ron S

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 February 2019 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Well, if Ed's info is accurate, it would appear that the commercial 45 is
the same as what ended up on the CD. It's the promo versions that
contain an earlier mix. As soon as I'm able, I'll pull my stock copy to see
if it matches the CD or the promo mix.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version