Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Taylor Dayne - Tell It To My Heart Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 July 2007 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

There are a number of CDs out there on which this track slows down by about 2% near the end of the song.

I've noticed this effect on a handful of other songs, including the short edit of "Freeway of Love" by Aretha Franklin, "Hold Me Now" by the Thompson Twins, "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" by Wang Chung, "Whip It" by Devo, "Seasons Change" by Expose, the single edit of "Don't Shed A Tear" by Paul Carrack, and a few Jimmy Jam Harris & Terry Lewis tracks including the single version of "Monkey" by George Michael. (I don't really understand why a bunch of these are on Arista.) While I'm not 100% sure what causes this, one possible explanation is that the tape deck is set for one size playback reel, and the actual playback reel is a different size. It's possible - I remember the multi-track deck in my first radio station had a large/small reel control. Regardless, it's probably a tape drag effect, and I don't like it.

Anyway, here are my findings. Timings are total track time.

The following CDs have the tape drag effect. The first two CDs in the list have a starting tempo of about 118.6 BPM and an ending tempo of about 116.1 BPM, to give you idea of how much drag is involved:
  • After Hours (Silver Eagle/Warner Special Products OPCD-4523, 1990; 3:38)
  • Everything '80s (Razor & Tie /Warner Special Products OPCD-4560, 1995; 3:41)
  • Rock On 1987 (Madacy ROK-2-1987, 1996; 3:41)
  • Hot Moves (JCI JCD-2702, 1989; 3:38; plays faster than above CDs, but still has drag at end)
  • It's Only Rock & Roll 1985-1989: #1 Radio Hits (I don't have this CD, but it appeared in an earlier post about this defect.)

The following CDs have no tape drag, but run too slow throughout the track:
  • Hot Sounds (PolyTel Canada 836 076-2, 1988; 3:41; 117.6 BPM throughout, or about 0.4% too slow)
  • The Hits Album 8 (CBS/BMG/WEA [UK] CD Hits 8, 1988; 3:40; 117.7 BPM throughout, or about 0.3% too slow)

These CDs have no tape drag, and all run at the proper tempo of 118.1 BPM throughout:
  • The "A" List Disc 43 (Swaitek, 1994; 3:42)
  • Gold & Platinum Volume 6 (Realm 1CD 7899, 1989; 3:40)
  • Now 1988 (Virgin EMI PolyGram UK 8 27074 2, 1993; 3:36; accelerated fade at 3:33, compared to others in this group)
  • Rock The First (Sandstone D233046-2, 1992; 3:41; mastered by Steve Hoffman, and the best-sounding of the bunch, although the Now disc isn't far behind)
  • Sounds Of The Eighties - The Late '80s (Time-Life R988-19, 1996; 3:41)

Edited by crapfromthepast on 22 April 2022 at 10:46pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Very interesting notes. I noticed all your listings are various artist compilatons and I only have the song on Taylor Dayne CDs. Can anyone tell which of her CDs have the sudden-slowdown near the end and which run at a constant speed throughout?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I also documented the slow down problem with song in the "mastering error" thread (at least I think that's where I posted it). I seem to recall Ed or someone else saying that the Taylor Dayne full-length CD does not have the slow down problem.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2007 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

That was me, Aaron. I commented in the "Mastering Errors" thread that there is no pitch problem with "Tell It to My Heart" on Taylor Dayne's Greatest Hits CD (Arista 18774). The sound quality and audio levels are excellent on that disc.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 July 2007 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks, Todd!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2007 at 12:05am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

What about the Rhino CDs, like "Disco Queens"? Is that one with the proper pitch?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Two more CDs that play at the correct pitch and don't have the tape drag problem:
  • Tell It To My Heart (Arista ARCD-8529, 1988; 3:41, same analog transfer but different EQ from Time-Life's The Late '80s CD above)
  • 80s Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 8 Dance Party (Priority P2 53732, 1993; 3:41)
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 October 2013 at 6:54am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Sony recently released a Playlist cd for Taylor Dayne, which has some interesting things. One is it claims to have the single mix of "Tell It to My Heart". But I don't really think there is one. No one's pointed anything out here, and the database doesn't indicate "single version". I recall when I compared my 45 to the CD about 25 years ago, I noticed the 45 was a lot brighter than the CD, but felt it was just an EQ issue and not a mix one. Of course, my ears back then were not as good, so maybe someone else knows something about this. Has anyone compared the 45 with the LP/CD?

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 September 2014 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

The 12" Club Mix is available on Pure... 80's remixes" a 2014 4-CD set from
Sony Music
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 September 2014 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Cool - to get this on an official CD, it's always an expensive CD (usually import). But this 4 CD set goes for $8 + postage on Amazon. Thanks for the info.

Edited by EdisonLite on 21 September 2014 at 7:46am

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 September 2014 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

This Pure 80's Remixes cd is an import, correct?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 September 2014 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat, yes, I think it is an import CD. I believe Indy's post was mainly to alert the forum members that this mix is available on a CD somewhere, for anyone interested in tracking it down.

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 September 2014 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

Germany
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 November 2019 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Six years later, I, too, am wondering about the "single mix."

I verified that the "single mix" on Arista/Legacy's Playlist: The Very Best Of is just a differently-EQ'd digital clone of the Arista full-length Taylor Dayne CD Tell It To My Heart.

Could there be a non-hit "original mix" on a first pressing of the vinyl LP?

That's what we found with all the CD releases of "We Got The Beat," "Dirty Laundry," "Baby Come To Me," and all the compilations that include "Always Something There To Remind Me" and "Promises Promises."

Plus, mid-to-late-'80s Arista was notorious for revising CD pressings to include the most recent mixes: "Greatest Love Of All" on the Whitney Houston CD, four different permutations of Milli Vanilli's Girl You Know It's True CD, two different pressings of Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits.

Vinyl experts/Taylor Dayne-o-philes?

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2019 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

According to Clive Davis's autobiography, Taylor Dayne's initial deal with Arista was only for the "Tell It To My Heart" single. It was not until the song became a hit that the rest of the album was quickly recorded.

The B-side of the 7-inch single is an instrumental version (she had yet to record any other songs!). There are four versions on the 12-inch single, one of which is labeled "single mix". The same version was on the 7-inch single and was the version included on the album when it was eventually released.

So it appears that the term "single mix" was used only to differentiate it from the other versions on the 12-inch single and not from any album version, since at the time there was no album, and had the song not become a hit there never would have been.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2022 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

Somewhere in my basement there exists an album CD for Tell It To My Heart. I'll have to look for it to verify the following:

Just days ago, I picked up a UK import set of 2cd issues for Taylor Dayne and a small handful of other artists on the Cherry Pop label.
Tell It To My Heart has the first slot in this album re-issue. Though, the track doesn't have any designation other than the title. It runs about 3:40.

I didn't hear any drag at the end, but I honestly haven't heard this song drag in any other version. I plan to look for some of your suggestions Ron.

What this Cherry Pop issue has is a few extra remixes included. Plus, a second disc of even more remixes, probably lifted from various 12" versions,
including the previously mentioned "Instrumental." However, none of these appear to be listed as a "Single Mix." Does anyone have the official time
of the Single Mix?

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2022 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Nearly 15 years later (!), I think I have an idea regarding the tape drag.

In the 1989-1990 time frame, many compilations (including the Warner Special Products groups) would use reel-to-reel dubs supplied by the various labels as source material. My guess is one of the reel-to-reel decks at the source label (like Arista) or the compilation-producing label (like Warner Special Products) had a deck that wasn't working too well, slowing down over the course of playing the 4-minute tape. It could be that a reel size wasn't selected properly, or for a deck that didn't have a capstan/pinch roller (like the Ampex deck at my old college station), that the servos weren't working properly.

In the 1992-ish time frame, most of the labels sent/received dubs on DAT, which has near-exact pitch correction, no wow/flutter, and a pretty flat EQ. A *vast* improvement over analog reel-to-reel dubbing. And as a result, from 1992-ish onward, the sounds quality of most compilations improved. (Rhino excluded from this generalization; I doubt that they ever settled for reel-to-reel dubs.)

Once the track (with tape drag) ended up in the digital domain on a CD, subsequent copies on DAT would also have the tape drag until someone did a new analog transfer of the two-track mixdown tape.

Bottom line: You won't hear any tape drag on releases from the actual label, where they have easy access to the source two-track mixdown tape, and wouldn't have bothered with the (faulty) analog reel-to-reel dubbing step.

This has taught me to be wary of (non-Rhino) multi-label compilations from before 1992-ish. (I'm generalizing here. Your results may vary.)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version