Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Seals & Crofts Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 June 2007 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I see that Rhino is releasing a "Seals & Crofts" Greatest Hits CD on July 17th, but there's no track listing on Rhino.com or amazon. Maybe this will finally have "You're the Love" and "My Fair Share" on a S&C comp. If anyone finds out the track listing, please report here. I see, however, that it's the same cover as the original Greatest Hits album, which isn't all that promising. But that doesn't mean that Rhino hasn't added additional songs to the album, the way Capitol used to do in the '80s with "CD Xtra Trax" like Natalie Cole, Dr. Hook and Helen Reddy. That said, though, ever since WB let most of Rhino's staff go, it seems like they just re-hash CDs that are already out, doing nothing more than adding a new cardboard cover outside the jewel box. Personally, I'd rather have someone with a brain add a few extra songs than to rebuy a CD just because it has cardboard.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 June 2007 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

On another thread, you also wrote on 22 June:

EdisonLite wrote:
I'm amazed that Rhino and other labels haven't put out a "Definitive Collection" on Seals & Crofts, and that the one Cd that's been out for 20 years is missing 3 of their big hits -- "Get Closer", "You're the Love" and "My Fair Share". When so many labels re-hash Greatest Hits CDs over and over again, I'm flabbergasted that no one's rehashed Seals & Crofts and included all these later top 40 hits on a compilation.

You're not alone, EdisonLite - I, too, have been LONG awaiting an updated/complete/remastered S&C hits collection, preferably a 2-CD set. (Sounds like a perfect candidate for Rhino's current "Definitive Pop Collection" series, if you ask me!) But just for the record, although it's never been issued on CD, there was one other S&C compilation released here in the U.S., which was far superior to 1975's 10-track "Greatest Hits" on Warner Bros., and does include all three of the later hits you mention: The 16-track "Seals & Crofts Collection" from 1979 on K-tel, of all labels! In fact, I happen to own it in all three formats that it was released on: LP, 8-track, and cassette... :-)

I was admittedly unaware of this (hopefully) new collection from Rhino supposedly coming out on July 17, until I read your post. You're right - at this point, it doesn't sound very hopeful, but I'd also like to know the track listing for it, and will keep checking back here as well...

In the meantime, I just dug up this bit of info from the FAQ page over at the fan site www.sealsandcrofts.com, which partially answers our questions:

2. What music is available?
There is [2004's] Traces [CD]. Sadly, Warner Brothers/Time Warner holds the masters for the old albums and they have only directly issued the Greatest Hits and Summer Breeze albums. Rhino Records, the prolific licensee of the Warners Brothers catalog, basically ignored the Seals & Crofts masters for many years. Plans to issue a multi-disc anthology were scaled back to a single disc, extended hits package that mirrored the old K-Tel Seals and Crofts Collection lp, with the addition of "Unborn Child," "Wisdom" and "First Love." The liner notes were fully prepared. But Rhino abandoned even this modest project. A box set was never even considered. Part of the problem was timing. By the time Rhino got around to a serious release a few years ago, Traces was in the works. There was a perception that the anthology release would compete on the market, and hurt the sales of Traces.

In February of 2005, Rhino's cut-rate Flashback division suddenly released the Diamond Girl album. The timing was peculiar and totally unexpected. Evidently, there was little concern over competition from Traces after all. It was certainly welcome despite the lack of remastering or bonus tracks. But there was no promotion and even the Flashback website neglected to list it in its own catalog! One cannot expect more S&C releases from Flashback. The division looks pretty dormant, not having released anything at all since November of 2005. Perhaps the best prospect is Rhino's newer Homemade division. Fans are encouraged to petition their website to get more S&C albums released. . . or put up the license fee for the masters and go make the cds yourself! Rhino did put out a pointless set of five hits called "Hi Five."

There is, incidentally, a rare overseas rendition of the Year of Sunday album on cd. It appears on ebay.com periodically and has been known to go for about $100. Moreover, mp3 versions of the the Get Closer album can be found at a few websites, such as this one. Caveat emptor. The propriety of these offerings is unknown.
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

gnj1958@sbcglob
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 June 2007 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote gnj1958@sbcglob

"You're The Love" (the only S&C 45 I ever bought) is on the comp "Rock On 1978 Hot Blooded" which is selling for between $47 and $80 on Amazon. Damn! I only paid $7 when I bought it a couple of years ago and that included postage. It also has what I assume is the 45 version of Hot Blooded. It's certainly a lot shorter than the version on "Records".
Back to Top View gnj1958@sbcglob's Profile Search for other posts by gnj1958@sbcglob

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 June 2007 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

According to CD Universe, it's just a reissue of the same 10-track CD:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7457145&BAB=M
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 June 2007 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Let's just imagine, hypothetically, in chronological order, the PERFECT Seals & Crofts Greatest Hits. Hey, we can dream, can't we??

1. Summer Breeze
2. Diamond Girl (45 version)
3. Hummingbird
4. We May Never Pass This Way (Again)
4. King Of Nothing
5. I'll Play For You
6. Get Closer
7. My Fair Share
8. You're The Love
9. First Love     

Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 June 2007 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Interesting info, 80smusicfreak.

And typical to learn that Rhino's S&C comp is just a rehash of the 10-song comp that's been out nearly 20 years. Rhino also put out a Laura Branigan comp last month -- which is just the comp that's been out for 13 years. And she has some early Atlantic singles, never released on CD, that would have been a nice bonus for a new comp.

What I don't understand about Rhino re-re-reissuing the S&C and Branigan compilations is this: you figure that 99% of the fans of these 2 artists have already gotten around to buying these Greatest Hits CDs over the last 15-20 years -- So Rhino is reissuing the CDs to get the other 1% to buy them?!?!? Why not add 2 or 3 bonuses and re-sell to the 99% of the fans that already bought the CDs!??

Edited by EdisonLite on 29 June 2007 at 6:30pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 June 2007 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

I haven't been overly happy with Rhino releases of late. Sad, because they used to be my favorite label. I wasn't aware of the shake-up you mentioned in the opening post, but I'd say it answered a lot of my questions.
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 June 2007 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Yes, ever since Rhino (or actually, Warner Brothers head honchos) let the Best Rhino staffers go, they went way downhill. They're trying to save on money. IMO, I see no evidence of anyone left who's putting any effort into creating new compilations of artists that differ from previous releases. They're just re-releasing comps they've put out before but this time with cardboard covers. What a shame .. and a waste of a record label.

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 June 2007 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

eriejwg wrote:

1. Summer Breeze
2. Diamond Girl (45 version)
3. Hummingbird
4. We May Never Pass This Way (Again)
4. King Of Nothing
5. I'll Play For You
6. Get Closer
7. My Fair Share
8. You're The Love
9. First Love     

This is exactly the same CD-R comp I made years ago. I took My Fair Share from a dubious source, and took "You're The Love" from the vinyl LP.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 June 2007 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

gentlemen...i have both of the lesser know and often thought of as never been on cd tracks by seals & crofts.....

my fair share---45 states a run time of 2:42 and the cd version i have runs 2:42 and is identical to the vinyl 45 version

you're the love---45 states a run time of 3:17 and the cd version i have also runs 3:17 and is identical to the vinyl 45 version.....if anyone who like a copy, please send me a private message and i can send it......edtop40

rnell
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 July 2007 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote rnell

My fair share is available in an import CD from 2002 (I believe from Hong Kong): Timeless classics Volume 4.

By the way, a friend of mine sent a message to Rhino this week about the S&C new compilation. He received a reply back stating the new compilation will add 3 o 4 tracks to the old Greatest hits, although final track listing was not finished yet.
Back to Top View rnell's Profile Search for other posts by rnell

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 July 2007 at 2:01am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

<although final track listing was not finished yet. >

Considering the CD will be in stores in 2 weeks (according to Rhino's own website), you'd think they'll finalize the track listing pretty soon!

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 July 2007 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I think it's a case of one hand doesn't know what the other is doing at Rhino. Damn shame too.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 July 2007 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Well, if someone's already seen a track listing for this CD on the net and it has no bonus cuts, my gut feeling is that the Rhino employee who made this comment simply doesn't know what's on the CD.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

OK - I've gotten to the bottom of this. I called up someone at Rhino Records who told me that the upcoming "Greatest Hits" CD is the same as the previous one and has NO EXTRA songs, nor will there ever be a definitive collection that has all the hits. He said that Seals & Crofts are extremely difficult to work with, and that's why there's never been any compilation of theirs released in the US - other than the '75 Greatest Hits LP being released on CD. Rhino wanted to do a 2-CD compilation on S&C and just couldn't get it to happen with all the problems! It's not that they've been overlooked or forgotten - Rhino's tried very hard to make it happen but due to the 2 gentlemen in the duo, it just hasn't happened and won't.

He did say that Rhino/Flashback will be putting out the "Get Closer" LP on CD and that another label (I think he said Collectors' Choice) will be putting out the remaining Seals & Crofts albums that haven't been on CD.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks for getting the scoop, Gordon. I'll definitely be saving my money and passing on the upcoming Greatest Hits CD. At least with Rhino/Flashback and Collectors' Choice planning to reissue the later Seals & Crofts albums on CD, we'll hopefully see "My Fair Share" finally make it's long-awaited digital debut in the U.S. and "You're the One" on a domestic CD title for the first time since the Time-Life Body Talk - Heart to Heart disc (Time-Life R834-17) went out-of-print.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

rnell
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote rnell

S & C fan page posted the information about all remaining CDs to be issued through Wounded bird label on Sept 18th with the exception of Get closer.
Back to Top View rnell's Profile Search for other posts by rnell

sealsncroftsguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote sealsncroftsguy

At the behest of 80smusicfreak, I thought I'd join in here, as the owner/operator of my fan-based site, sealsandcrofts.com. Looks like everyone has it mostly figured out. Woundedbird.com is committed to releasing the albums individually in September. I'm not sure how a relatively little label like Wounded Bird was able to release them, and Rhino did not. On the subject of Rhino, I can tell you that WB/Sony has had absolute rights to the master tapes, and that Rhino's engineer was ready to go in and do a one or disc anthology 8 years ago. The Rhino insider thinking that S&C were too difficult is, in my opinion, wrong. I have the one page contract from back then, and it's no great shakes. Fact is, Rhino has been releasing some things since then anyway. Now that the WB catalog is mostly converted to DAT, it's relatively easy to release stuff (though, less rewarding, because you don't consider great alternate takes and unreleased tunes you get from the old analog masters). Thus, we have the utterly pointless "Hi Five" digital download, and the utter pointless GH reissue (same as the old) coming up on July 17. There are so many of the previous GH cds out there - you can get one at ebay for like 49 cents.

But I say let bygones be bygones. We are grateful for woundedbird.com. Serious fans like me have had vinyl transfers (from legitimately purchased and well-maintained lps from the 70's) for years anyway. I no longer want some shoehorned expanded GH disc that leaves off "Windflowers," "Unborn Child" or "Ridin' Thumb." I want the entire catalog for posterity. There are too many great non-hits to consider. There is, incidentally, a lot of real cool ephemera that you may never hear, like the "First Year" theme for the short-lived law school drama, an entire album from 1984, Jimmy's 4 singles as a solo artist from the mid 1960's, etc. And you haven't lived until you've heard Jimmy quietly do "Hummingbird" just him and solo guitar. The chord changes alone are cosmic. But maybe everyone doesn't think these guys were head and shoulders above 90% of the 70's acts like I do. So be it!
Back to Top View sealsncroftsguy's Profile Search for other posts by sealsncroftsguy

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

That doesn't surprise me that Wounded Bird managed to pull this off when Rhino didn't. Wounded Bird has also released the entire Melissa Manchester Arista catalog from Sony/BMG and other great releases like almost all the Bread and England Dan/John Ford Coley albums on CD. I don't know how they can afford to do the releases if the majors insist on paying for a high number of guaranteed minimums sold, but I guess they make money for both the licensor and licensee.

And btw, my Rhino contact definitely did not mention Wounded Bird to me as W Bird is my favorite reissue label now. I definitely would have remembered. He said Collector's Music Choice, or perhaps Collectables. But I'm glad it's on Wounded Bird!

Edited by EdisonLite on 11 July 2007 at 9:32pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

sealsncroftsguy wrote:
Now that the WB catalog is mostly converted to DAT, it's relatively easy to release stuff (though, less rewarding, because you don't consider great alternate takes and unreleased tunes you get from the old analog masters).

Oh, man. They're actually mastering stuff to DAT tape? I've worked with those things in radio for the past six or seven years, and they are a nightmare. I sure hope they don't toss out the analog tapes. I've had plenty of DATs not work for me any longer.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version