Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Vicki Lawrence-"The Night The Lights..." Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 May 2007 at 12:30am | IP Logged Quote jimct

When I think of the last early 70s label holdouts to begin releasing commercial 45s in stereo, the Bell label always came to mind for me. Up until their last label hit, Barry Manilow's "Mandy", released at the tail end of 1974, I don't think I knew of a SINGLE Bell commercial 45 EVER issued in stereo - until now. I have two commercial 45 copies for the Vicki Lawrence hit. Both have listed times of (3:36) and actual times of (3:35). The first, with a large, bold title/artist font, is mono, and has deadwax of "BELL 1549". My other copy, with a very light type, small title/artist font, is stereo, with a deadwax of "BELL 1549-S-1-1-1". No stereo/mono designation appears on either of the two labels. While this new information, and that of my similar "Brother Louie" discovery, do not require a database comment or adjustment, I thought this info would be of value to those who like to know what was issued on the original 45, mono or stereo. Especially between 1968 and 1974, the labels were slowly moving from "all mono" to "all stereo" commercial 45s, and hits from these years must be listened to, on a case-by-case basis, to confirm the correct original M/S 45 information.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2009 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

A belated thanks for posting this, Jim. I had forgotten all about it. I wanted to look up the mono/stereo situation with this song, since her "Night the Lights Went Out" album has just finally been released on a factory-pressed CD by the original production company, Garret Music Enterprises, very nicely remastered. Glad to know at least some single pressings were stereo, since the mono mix has never appeared on CD.

Edited by Brian W. on 05 November 2009 at 11:55pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 November 2009 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

A year ago, I bought a Vicki Lawrence U.S. CD of her "Night The Lights..." album, which I don't have in front of me, but as I recall, the label was Toucan (which I think is the label for amazon, myspace, or iTunes - I forget. Probably amazon.) And the sound quality was really good. Brian, is this a different CD?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 November 2009 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

EdisonLite wrote:
A year ago, I bought a Vicki Lawrence U.S. CD of her "Night The Lights..." album, which I don't have in front of me, but as I recall, the label was Toucan (which I think is the label for amazon, myspace, or iTunes - I forget. Probably amazon.) And the sound quality was really good. Brian, is this a different CD?

The Toucan Cove was a CD-R, burned by the Amazon On Demand service. I bought that too. I never was sure if it was burned from .wav files or .mp3s, so I wanted to buy the new one.

But yes, it is a different mastering.

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 November 2009 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

The Amazon On Demand service uses commercially released but now out of print cds and reproduces them....the sound quality is very good on the ones ive heard, as if its a straight cd copy or off of high quality digital copies.... if not wavs, than very high bitrate mp3s....

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 November 2009 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

TomDiehl1 wrote:
The Amazon On Demand service uses commercially released but now out of print cds and reproduces them.

In the case of "Night the Lights Went Out," the CD had never been commercially released... only as a download.

Yes, the "On Demand" CD did sound good, but like I said, I couldn't be sure they didn't just burn it from the MP3s, so I wanted a real, factory-pressed CD.

Edited by Brian W. on 07 November 2009 at 12:01am

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 November 2009 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

But I guess I just (finally) got my question answered from Amazon (this info wasn't there when I checked about a year ago):

Quote:
CreateSpace works with many of the leading music labels, television networks, film studios, and other distributors to make these titles available to Amazon.com customers. All products are manufactured from original source materials (e.g., for audio products, uncompressed CD-quality audio).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=2 00326640&ie=UTF8

Edited by Brian W. on 07 November 2009 at 12:05am

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 November 2009 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

jimct wrote:
Up until their last label hit, Barry Manilow's "Mandy", released at the tail end of 1974, I don't think I knew of a SINGLE Bell commercial 45 EVER issued in stereo - until now.

Great find, Jim! A belated thanks for the detective work!

While my Monarch-pressed stock copy of Vicki's hit is mono, there was another 45 I picked up later in 1973, the #19 AC/#111 BB "Lovin' Naturally" by Sandalwood that was the first Bell stock 45 I ever saw that was labeled as "stereo." Like the Lawrence hit, this was also a Snuff Garrett production.

Who knows why Bell dragged their commercial stereo 45 feet? What, were they holding out in the hopes of charging more for stereo vs. mono 45s? :) A year after TNTLWOIG was a smash, the label issued a single that could very easily have been another Vicki Lawrence record. The artist's first name even was Vicki and the title mentioned the name of a state. But Vicki Britton's "Flight 309 To Tennessee" couldn't repeat the more-famous Vicki's success, and the single only made number 36 on the AC chart. And while the promo 45 was stereo/mono, the commercial 45 was back to mono.

While Vicki's TNTLWOIG and its follow-up, "He Did With Me" made their way to Bell's Flashback reissue series as FLB-82, it didn't stay there for long. It and Vanity Fare's "Early In The Morning"/"Hitchin' A Ride" (FLB-60) were both dropped by the mid-'70s. By 1976, both titles were back in print and in stereo, but not on Flashback. Instead, they were on Soma. Soma?? As in the Castaways? Yep. Though misspelled as Vanity Fair, Soma 5000 joined Vicki's Soma 5248 in one of the oddest pair of reissue 45s.

I was working at Heilicher Brothers at the time, so I asked the singles buyer, Tom Prenevost, how these two oddballs came to be. Although the company's in-house Soma label hadn't issued any newly-recorded records since 1968, it had still kept a few reissue 45s in print. Tom said that in this case, there was still strong retail demand for these two otherwise-unavailable records, so Heilicher's licensed and reissued them on its own label. Most of these were distributed through the company's Pickwick International distribution and J.L. Marsh rack jobbing subsidiaries. That Snuff Garrett logo still looks mighty strange on a Soma label. Too bad Soma wasn't still distributing the (George) Garrett label from the "Surfin' Bird" days. :)

BTW, there were no other Soma 45s between numbers 5000 and 5248. Those two just happened to have been the stock order numbers on Heilicher's oldies 45s retail inventory lists, so it made sense to number the actual records accordingly.

And speaking of Snuffy Garrett: He still thought enough of those two failed Bell singles to recycle them as country tunes in the '80s. He produced "Lovin' Naturally" with David Frizzell and Shelly West, and Shelly's solo reworking of "Flight 309 To Tennessee" peaked at number four.    

Edited by Yah Shure on 03 February 2012 at 9:36am
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 November 2009 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Interesting news about the Vicki Lawrence CD-R on Toucan Cove. And even better news - I checked the file (of one of the album cuts) in WaveLab and determined with 100% certainty that the file did NOT come from an mp3 (or a WAV of an mp3; in other words, this file was never derived from anything that was ever an mp3 previously. It's origins are WAV files. Mark Mathews (of this board) taught me how to distingish an mp3 from a WAV in Wavelab (and he found out quite by accident - it's a weird side effect from running "DeNoiser" over a file and seeing how the processor reacts.) Anyway, even though these Vicki Lawrence CDs are actually CD-Rs, they never came from mp3s, just from WAVs (and I might add ... from tape sources, not vinyl!)

When they transferred the master tape to digital, they obviously created WAV files first, and from there they created mp3s to sell as downloads on amazon, but LUCKILY, they were SMART enough to save the WAVs and use them for people buying the CD-Rs. "Save the WAVs" - sounds like a good campaign slogan!
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2009 at 1:53am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

EdisonLite wrote:
I checked the file (of one of the album cuts) in WaveLab and determined with 100% certainty that the file did NOT come from an mp3 (or a WAV of an mp3; in other words, this file was never derived from anything that was ever an mp3 previously. It's origins are WAV files.

Good to know, but still beware of some of the Amazon On Demand titles. For example, the two Archies titles are disc dubs, according to some customer reviews. Never hurts to read the Amazon reviews before buying.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2009 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Absolutely. In fact, whenever I'm buying a CD containing music that's never been on CD before, I usually look at the customer reviews on amazon to see if anyone complains it's from vinyl.

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2010 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

A note: One pressing of "The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia" used Stereo promo stampers and is true Stereo. Most commercial Bell originals are in mono.

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 January 2011 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Bumping this up for the recent Fifth Dimension discussion.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version