Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Could It Be Magic" - Barry Manilow Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 27 April 2005 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

At the present time, I don't have the equipment to do a direct A/B comparison between a CD and a vinyl 45. But as far as I can tell, the 4:16 45 version of Barry Manilow's "Could It Be Magic" is now available on CD for the first time on the new 2 CD best-of compilation The Essential Barry Manilow (Arista 68227) released yesterday (4/26). (The song can be downloaded for $0.99 at I-Tunes if anyone wants to check it out first before spending over $20 on the set!)

This remastered 34 song package contains all of the crooner's Top 40 hits except for "Let's Hang On" and "Oh Julie", the latter of which for some reason continues to not see the light of day on a U.S. CD release. It's my understanding the only way to get "Oh Julie" on CD is on the Japanese import of Barry Manilow's 1982 album Here Comes the Night.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 April 2005 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

<It's my understanding the only way to get "Oh Julie" on CD is on the Japanese import of Barry Manilow's 1982 album Here Comes the Night.>

That is correct, Todd, but it's not the same mix as what appears on the US 45 or "Oh Julie" EP. It has extra background voices and maybe even an added keyboard part, if I recall. I've grown to like the version quite a lot, but still, it would be nice to have the regular (US?) mix come out on CD. I wonder if Barry hates this record and keeps refusing to have it reissued.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 April 2005 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

By any chance does "Essential Manilow" also have the single mix/edit of "It's a Miracle", or am I asking for too much? :)

I believe it clocks in around 3:15. It's never been on CD anywhere.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 April 2005 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

EdisonLite:

It looks as though "It's a Miracle" on The Essential Barry Manilow disc is the 3:43 edit that first surfaced on Manilow's Greatest Hits CD on Arista 8039. In other words, it's not the 45 version running 3:15.

Interestingly, many websites such as www.allmusic.com and some paid download sites list "It's a Miracle" as being the "single edit" on Essential. I'm wondering... was there ever another vinyl 45 pressing out there containing this 3:43 version?

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 April 2005 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I checked allmusic.com. Interestingly, they wrote "single edit" next to "It's a Miracle" and NOT next to the next song "Could It Be Magic" which IS the single edit. So I wonder if that's a typo. I've never come across a 3:43 45 of "Miracle" but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Also, Todd -- Is "Ready To Take a Chance Again" finally the stereo version, or still mono? Every US CD is mono. It appeared in stereo on 1 Japanese CD (which I do not own.)

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 April 2005 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

EdisonLite:

"Ready to Take a Chance Again" on The Essential Barry Manilow CD is the usual mono version found on all other U.S. CD releases.

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 May 2005 at 3:11am | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

Just a quick question.

Are we sure that this is the true 45 version of "Could It Be Magic"? The reason I ask is that my Whitburn's lists the time as 3:37, not the 4:18 that the current version runs. Now, I know that Whitburn has been wrong before. Is that the case here as well?
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 May 2005 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Yes. I have the 45. It's listed as 3:37, and it runs 4:18. This was Arista's usual style of making a song look shorter than it really was so that presumably more DJ's would play it.

I checked this mix closely when I bought the CD a couple days ago and it is definitely the 45 version.

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 May 2005 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

Thanks a lot. I've been looking for this version for a while for a personal project. Thanks again. I'm off to get it right now.
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2009 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

An update on "Oh Julie": As I previously reported, the only place this song has appeared on CD - albeit in an alternate mix -- is on the Japanese CD of Barry's "Here Comes The Night" album. The alternate mix has lots of extra background vocals and keyboards. I bought this CD in 1987, when it first was released in Japan.

And btw, the mix on the Japanese CD isn't even the original Japanese mix either. I have the Japanese 45 and it has the same exact mix as the US 45 and the US EP (the song never appeared on an LP.) So what was used on the Japanese CD can best be described as an alternate mix, not even the original Japanese 45 mix.

Well, I happened to be in a used CD store this week, and they had a used copy of the Japanese "Here Comes the Night" CD for $3.99, and this one said 1994 on it (my previous one I bought in 1987) -- so I figured, 'I might as well buy it at this price. I can always re-sell it on ebay (it probably fetches a high price), and maybe it will actually have the original mix of "Oh Julie."

Well, as it turns out ... to my shock, it had the original mix of "Oh Julie" on it. So it can now be reported for the first time on the Downey chat board that the top 40 hit "Oh Julie" IS available on an import CD - in its proper (original) mix -- and it only took 15 years since its CD release for one of us to find out :)

Makes me wonder if I'm missing other single mixes because I already have the import CD but not a later pressing of the CD. Who would ever think to re-buy "Here Comes The Night" in hopes of it actually correcting the problem? Until I saw this CD, I didn't even know there was a 1994 AND 1987 printing of this Japanese CD.

Edited by EdisonLite on 09 May 2009 at 6:24pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2009 at 1:52am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

BTW, does anyone else have the "Here Comes the Night" CD and was anyone aware that there were 2 different pressings of the CD?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2009 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Very valuable info, Gordon! I see there are Japanese pressings of Manilow's Here Comes the Night CD still in print, so if they have a 1994 copyright date then it would appear we're in business as far as obtaining the correct hit version of "Oh Julie" goes!

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2009 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

And if anyone has a 1994 version with the alternate mix or a 1987 with the original mix (the reverse of what I have) please let us know. I'm only assuming my 1987 and 1994 versions have one pressing each. But we can't say for sure that there aren't other versions of these 2 CDs floating out there (for instance, maybe some 1987 CDs have fixed the problem and used the original mix.) After all the versions of Whitney Houston's first album on CD, anything goes.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my japanese cd copy that contains "oh julie" is identical to the 45 version...

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

You must have the 1994 CD.

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

Just curious - has the original version of Could It Be Magic ever appeared on cd? I'm not talking about the Featherbed feat. Barry Manilow version from 1971, but rather the version from the original release of Barry's debut lp Manilow on Bell 1129 (as opposed to the 1975 remix/reissue on Arista as Manilow I). I have the lp, and it times out to 7:15 and has different vocals...

Edited by cmmmbase on 09 March 2012 at 1:01pm
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To Cmmmbase:

Wow. I never knew there was an original mix of the album version of Manilow's "Could It Be Magic".

Even if it's in poor shape, I would love to hear it if you ever have the chance to digitise it...

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Yes there are a bunch of versions of that track. Featherbed was the first, recorded again for the Barry Manilow album on Bell records, (I believe that's identical to the version on the B Side of the Bell 45 Cloudburst that came from that album, this version has an electric guitar in it. Of course that is a mono mix, probably a dedicated one), Then the Arista Barry Manilow I reissue, (I believe it's more than a remix, I think it was totally redone) and of course the hit single contains some instrumentation not found on the Arista Barry Manilow I album so it's yet another mix.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

AndrewChouffi wrote:
I never knew there was an original mix of the album version of Manilow's "Could It Be Magic".

Andy, the original mix (and length) was also issued as a single B-side on Bell 45422 in 1973.

Perhaps due to the B-side's length, the DJ 45s were Monarch pressings on real vinyl. I have multiple copies of the mono promo 45, and there are two label variations: the first (linked above) with no designated A-side and the second, with "Cloudburst" starred as the A-side and "MONO" shown on both sides in the normal bold Monarch font. With space at a premium in the trail-out area, the normal "MR"-in-a-circle Monarch logo was hand drawn in more of a squashed oval shape.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

Just to clarify; the 7:15 and 6:47 cuts are the LP versions, and all 45's run at
4:16?

If this is so, should the database be modified to alert readers?

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version