Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "I’ll Be There" - Gerry & the Pacemakers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 February 2007 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

On the Both Sides Now message board (www.bsnpubs.com), it's been reported the version of Gerry and The Pacemakers' "I'll Be There" that appears on all domestic CD releases is actually the U.K. single version. If this is the case, do you think it would be better to change comments for all of the song's CD appearances in the database to read: (U.K. single version) instead of (alternate take)?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 1:50am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Yes, the US market got an alternate vocal take and an edited version of the song, though the backing track remained consistant between the two versions. In that respect it is an alternate version than the US 45 that is on US cds, but it was still released as that version in the UK.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2007 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

According to my research, "I'll Be There" surfaced in the U.S. in 1965 on the Gerry and The Pacemakers LP of the same title. Does anyone have this LP who can verify if the U.S. or U.K. version of "I'll Be There" was featured on it? In other words, did the U.S. version only appear on the American commercial 45 release, or was it on the LP release as well?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 29 March 2007 at 8:32am

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 December 2007 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

Bumping....

What are the differences?

GM

Edited by Gary Mack on 02 December 2007 at 9:40am
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 December 2007 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Gary, I will shoot out both 45 and CD dubs of "I'll Be There" to our hard-working Aaron K; I'm certain he will then soon report back, with the answer to your question.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 December 2007 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Well, with some editing, you can re-create a small part of the US 45 version from the stereo UK version on cd (the intro to the us version is at the end of the UK version) , but for much of the song it is an entirely different vocal take.

Edited by TomDiehl1 on 02 December 2007 at 9:20pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 December 2007 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

TomDiehl1 wrote:
Well, with some editing, you can re-create a small part of the US 45 version from the stereo UK version on cd (the intro to the us version is at the end of the UK version) , but for much of the song it is an entirely different vocal take.

I just tried that, and the vocals don't sync up at all; however, the ending of the CD (UK) version is sung similar to the beginning of the 45. The version on CD is a completely different vocal take, and the differences aren't subtle. The music does appear to be exactly the same, albeit in mono on the 45.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 December 2007 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Thanks, Aaron. You are always here for us when needed, sir! And, for ALL the times Gary Mack has helped us to clear up a 60's/70's song mystery, it's nice for us to finally be able to help him, for a change!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 December 2007 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

aaronk wrote:
TomDiehl1 wrote:

I just tried that, and the vocals don't sync up at all; however, the ending of the CD (UK) version is sung similar to the beginning of the 45. The version on CD is a completely different vocal take, and the differences aren't subtle. The music does appear to be exactly the same, albeit in mono on the 45.

Yeah, that's basically what I meant. I do believe that the end of the UK version is the exact same as the beginning of the US version, but that the rest of the song is a different vocal take (with the exception maybe of one or two lines in a spot or two, but like you said for the most part the two vocal takes do not sync up at all).

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

Thanks all, and especially Tom, for your information. Although I've had the US and UK versions for many years, I never paid much attention to I'll Be There.

The US version, at least as it appears on the 1965 Laurie "Greatest Hits" LP, is much shorter than the UK 45 and most of the vocal is a different take. Ah, but there's more!

The mono-only US version runs 2:51 and fades out, whereas the stereo UK hit, as it appears on the Steve Hoffman-mastered Razor & Tie "All The Hits" CD, ends cold at 3:13.

The music tracks are the same on both, but Marsden's vocal is completely different on the UK until 2:16. From there on out, the US and UK vocals are identical.

The Hoffman CD says the US release first appeared on the charts in December 1964, but the UK came three months later in March 1965. Obviously, some changes were made during the intervening weeks. The song was recorded on November 10, 1964, so the US release a few weeks later was rushed.

Did someone in the UK decide to combine a different take for the first 2/3 of the song? Perhaps, and a quick listen to the UK version seems to explain that. To me, the first part sounds and feels like an earlier take in which Marsden hadn't quite gained the confidence in the lyrics and their interpretation. The US release is much smoother and self-assured.

But if I can hear that, what possessed the UK producers to go with a mediocre performance? A mistake? Damage to the vocal track of the good take?

GM
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Good news for anyone interested in acquiring the U.S. 45 version of Gerry and the Pacemakers' "I'll Be There" on CD... According to reports on the Both Sides Now stereo chat message board, the U.S. 45 mix appears on the group's new 4-CD box set You'll Never Walk Alone: The EMI Years 1963-1966 (EMI 5192572), though the track is reported to run longer in length than the actual 45.

As much as I'd love to finally pick up the U.S. 45 version on CD, I'm hoping it will eventually surface on a single disc release so I don't have to spend $45 on an entire box set for one track!

Edited by Todd Ireland on 13 April 2008 at 10:04pm

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2008 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Todd, tried to PM you but your message box is full. I was the one who made that claim, however I was hoping for a challenge or second opinion. I believe one of the versions on the box to be the U.S. single (only longer), but I'd like someone else to verify. The music bed being the same, sometimes it's difficult to compare a vocal (for a number of reasons). Can I send you an MP3? Note I purchased the song from iTunes to first test the water before shelling out for the whole box.

Edited by davidclark on 14 April 2008 at 2:36pm

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 April 2008 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Yes, David, please feel free to send the tracks my way. I'll take a listen to them and report back.

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2008 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Todd,

This completely slipped my mind. To what email address would you like me to send.

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2008 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

I have the mp3 of, and can confirm that the longer mono version on the box set is in fact the U.S. single vocal take throughout, properly edited, except with the UK ending rather than fading out as the U.S. 45 did.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2008 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Disregard...

Edited by eriejwg on 26 April 2008 at 9:59pm
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2008 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

John, this refers to the new 4-CD box set Todd mentioned: You'll Never Walk Alone: The EMI Years 1963-1966 (EMI 5192572)
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2008 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Oops, missed that part. LOL.

Well, if You'll Never Walk Alone: The EMI Years is available on iTunes, I can't find it... :(

Edited by eriejwg on 26 April 2008 at 10:00pm
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 April 2008 at 2:18am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

eriejwg wrote:
Oops, missed that part. LOL.

Well, if You'll Never Walk Alone: The EMI Years is available on iTunes, I can't find it... :(

The only versions of I'll Be There by Gerry & The Pacemakers on iTunes are re-recordings. However, I went ahead and sent you a dub of the track from the set.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 April 2008 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Tom, in return, I'll send you a copy from the "A's, B's and EP's" for your evaluation... it is mono, but the ending is wrong at about 2:45 and seems faster than the 45 dub I had.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version