Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: steve winwood--while you see a chance Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 27 March 2021 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

prisdeej wrote:
Your edit sounds much better, Jody. How the heck did Island Records let it out of the work
room that way? It was even used for the video. For what it's worth TM Century's homemade edit sounds better to me.    

And moreover, it was recycled for the LP release of Chronicles (not the CD and cassette though)

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2021 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

I have never either heard the edit, or listened closely enough to discern the horrible manner in which it was executed. I'm going to have to look through my discs, (Thank you, Ron.) and,
also thank you Jody for a much smoother transition. I went to youtube and discovered it at 2:19 in that video.

It's hard to believe that this passed for "Professional" work. You can bet that Winwood never heard it before it was released.

BTW, just what exactly was going on in that video anyway? I don't think I ever saw that before as well.

Edited by AdvprosD on 27 March 2021 at 3:26pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 March 2021 at 12:32am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Jody Thornton wrote:
A hard edit - and I never even changed the amplitude of either the take up or the out-splice. Just chop! I'm actually surprised it worked that well. I just timed the end of Steve's vocal, and matched it up to when he stopped singing.

Wow, Jody I listened and thought it had to have been a crossfade, and I was gonna ask for a copy. But if this is just a hard edit, I'll do it myself. It's so much better, and while they didn't have crossfade software back in 1980 like we do now, they could have simply done the edit one beat later like you did. A shame they didn't think to do so.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2021 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Jody, again, you're brilliant!

I tried doing a direct cut after Winwood stops singing "your waaaaaaay", but no matter what I tried, I couldn't duplicate your edit the way you showed it in your 15-second excerpt. So I did a crossfade over that area and got a real smooth edit, probably very close to the results you got with a hard edit - I just took a different approach to get there.

The thing is... 10 or 15 years ago, when trying to decide what I wanted to use for "While You See a Chance", I didn't want the long album version or the worst-edited of all-time 45 version, so I tried editing in all sorts of places to shorten the song from the approximate 5-minute long version. (BTW, When I don't match the single edit points exactly, I call it the "neo-single version".) But anyway, I couldn't find ONE edit that worked ANYWHERE to shorten it to about the single version length.

But you doing it just 1 second after they did it - wow. It was lucky that the same chord was playing in both spots, because it sounds like the song changes key right around (before) the area where they did their cut.

Anyway, great job! And great thinking :)
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

VWestlife
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2021 at 5:35am | IP Logged Quote VWestlife

Honestly I didn't notice the "waayyyEEE" in the short version back when it was played on the radio or the first time I listened to it again just now in the music video. But once you hear it, you'll never un-hear it!

However, The Animals called and would like to submit the short version of "House of the Rising Sun" as the worst-edited 45 of all time:

The Animals - House of the Rising Sun 45 on YouTube
Back to Top View VWestlife's Profile Search for other posts by VWestlife Visit VWestlife's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 April 2021 at 11:56pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Yeah, that's the crazy thing. When "While You See..." was played on the radio back in 1980 (i.e. the single version), I didn't notice it. After I heard the long version in the mid or late '80s, and then heard the single version, it really stuck out as a terrible edit. And VWestlife nailed it - "once you hear it, you'll never un-hear it"!

Same thing happened to me with "Dream On"/Aerosmith. I bought the 45 in '73. Never noticed. Some years later, after being familiar with the long version/original mix, the 45 edit sounded horrendous and I could "never go back". I was in the studio about 10 years ago, showing 2 friends the single version. I just wanted them to hear a certain guitar part that came later in the song. But when it got to the edit point, I thought they'd react like, "What just happened?" And they didn't even notice!

Third story like this (although to a lesser extent): Kenny Rogers' "Through the Years" edit. Once I heard the long version years later .. well, same exact story. And then, whenever the edit spot played, it was always noticeable, so I made my own custom edit that's still shorter than the LP version but longer than the 45 version - and the transition is smoother.

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 April 2021 at 5:25am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Hey EdisonLite:

I’m surprised that you heard Winwood’s single within 1980, I never
heard it played on radio at all until at least February 1981. I was going
to say that maybe you heard an AOR outlet play the track from Arc of a
Diver, but then that would have been the LP version.

I admit that I’ve only heard “Dream On” nightmare (haaaaa - see what I
did there?) in the 90s when a DJ friend showed me his Columbia 45-
rpm disc, but I had forgotten about it until frequenting this forum. Even
he used a “Back to Back Hits” reissue with the LP version at weddings
and parties.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 April 2021 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Jody Thornton wrote:
Hey EdisonLite:
I’m surprised that you heard Winwood’s single within 1980

That's just bad memory on my part! I thought it came out in 1980 and didn't check the Whitburn books. As it came out in early '81, then that's when I first heard it. But I guess it felt like late 1980 to me. (I recalled hearing it my freshman year of college, which was '80 - '81). My memory for 40 years ago (or even 4 years ago), isn't perfect.

I just checked Whitburn and see it debuted 2/7/81, which means radio started playing it in January. I remember a neighbor down the hall in my dorm told me to listen to this song that had just come out, as he really loved it, so he played it for me as it was playing and I agreed. My guess is I heard it at a very early point of its release, in January. Technically, I was only off by a month :)

Edited by EdisonLite on 13 April 2021 at 1:57pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version