Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Conquistador" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 February 2007 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I have a UK CD with a 4:07 version of this song that does NOT have applause at the end. It seems like the same recording otherwise (by memory). Does anyone know if Procul Harum did a studio version? Was applause simply added to it? If applause was simply clipped off this particular recording I have, I'd be surprised because the last note lingers for 2 1/2 seconds, and as I recall the live version has applause that comes in much quicker than 2 1/2 seconds. Anyone know the story here?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Gordon, the studio version of "Conquistador" appeared on their 1967 self-titled debut album. I do happen to have it on CD, and I will shoot it out to you shortly, to assist you with your analysis. That late 1971 hit live recording was made with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra, and I always thought it was simply more of a polite, reserved house, more common of a "classical" crowd than a "rock" crowd. I also have a (5:00) version of this recording on a UK Castle Communications "Collector's Series" CD, and all the extra length is simply just added miscellaneous stage banter before the song begins, with that same brief pause before the applause at the end. I suppose almost any masterer could dump out of it before the applause, if that was indeed their goal.

Edited by jimct on 08 February 2007 at 5:30pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 February 2007 at 5:49am | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

I remember reading somewhere that the album "Procul Harum Live" or at least "Conquistador" was actually done in a studio with applause added later. Which makes sense to me. I wish I could remember where I saw that. I mean c'mon, how could the crowd be THAT polite at a ROCK concert?? More interesting attempts at "Live but really studio" albums were the orignial Beach Boys Live album and Jan & Dan's Live album "Command Performance". Command Performance is funny because it's obviously P. F. Sloan on the high parts on several songs instead of Dean. But as usual, I digress..
Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 May 2007 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat, my commercial 45, which is stereo, has a listed time of (4:16), but an actual time of (4:10), not the (4:14) currently specified in the database. My deadwax is "A&M 2292-S P2".
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 July 2018 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

jimct wrote:
I also have a (5:00) version of this recording on a UK Castle Communications "Collector's Series" CD, and all the extra
length is simply just added miscellaneous stage banter before the song begins, with that same brief pause before the applause at the
end. I suppose almost any masterer could dump out of it before the applause, if that was indeed their goal.

1. I miss Jim terribly.

2. I would think all CDs that have the (4:13)-(4:16) version probably should have a "45 version" designation (even though it's
fairly obvious), since the 45 is technically an edit with the banter/tuning up removed.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 July 2018 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I concur with Doug's point #1.

I haven't done any comparisons for this song, but Doug's point #2
makes sense.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 July 2018 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

If you end up recreating the '45 version' from the LP
version, the 45 does fade out a few seconds earlier than
the LP.

I also concur with Doug's point 1.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Going back about 11 years...

The version on EMI UK's Time To Remember 1972 (1996) lacks the audience applause, and has a tail on the fade of the last note that extends a good four seconds beyond where the applause should come in.

The versions on US CDs all have the applause, and fade the applause at various lengths.

I like the sound quality of Rhino's British Invasion Vol. 8 (1991) and A&M's Classics Vol. 17 (1987).

The version on Razor & Tie's 2-CD Those Rocking '70s (1991) has a screechingly bright EQ. Avoid.

I miss Jim, too.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 11 October 2018 at 8:07pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I used UK's Time To Remember 1972 as my source for "Conquistador" and liked the fact that you didn't hear audience applause at the end. I didn't realize until reading this that it contained 4 seconds extra of actual music that would have otherwise actually contained applause. This makes me wonder - does anyone know if this was actually recorded in a studio and the applause was added it after? That would explain why there's 4 more seconds of music on this CD.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version