Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: One For The Mockingbird - Cutting Crew Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 March 2005 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

I just found a copy of the 45 of "One For The Mockingbird" by Cutting Crew and the label states a running time of (3:58) but the actual running time is (4:05) and it is just an early fade of the LP version so there really is no 45 version, just a 45 length.

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2008 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote abagon

This song have the U.S.-mix and U.K.-mix on the LP "Broadcast" each, as well as "(I Just) Died In Your Arms" .
This U.S. commercial 45 has used the source from the "U.S. mix", and has the fadeout. (The actual running time (4:05), the listed time "3:58")
Therefore, the coment of 3 CDs on the data base should be changed "U.S. LP Length" or "U.K. LP Length".

The U.S.-mix has the voice "Oh" at :06 once. The U.K.-mix has the voice "Oh" of four times at :06 with the echo.
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2008 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Can anyone point out the start and end times of the fade to recreate the 4:05 run time?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2008 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

A little confusion with this track, in addition to "(I Just) Died In Your Arms".

At my college station, we got promo singles for "(I Just) Died In Yuor Arms", the single before this one, and "I've Been In Love Before", the single after this one, but no promo 45 for this one. This wasn't a big hit in the US by any means.

I have what abagon refers to as the "UK mix" (4 Oh's at 0:06) on my CD copy of Broadcast (matrix number 86002 01# 03-14-94", runs 4:31 and runs into the next track, "I've Been In Love Before"). It runs at 144.3 BPM.

I have what abagon refers to as the "US mix" (1 Oh at 0:06) on a 5-song Virgin promo sampler called Singles Scene (Virgin PR2018, 1987, runs 4:05). It's a little slower than the other mix, and runs 143.8 BPM. On the back cover of the CD, the song is titled simply "Mockingbird" and has a printed time of 4:06. This version begins its very long fade at a downbeat at 3:41 and has a roughly 64-beat sinusoidal fade that would end on a downbeat around 4:07, if the track lasted that long.

I suspect another Shelly Yakus remix for the US 4:05 45, but I'll have to ask someone who actually has the 45: Is there a "Remixed by Shelly Yakus" credit on the label?
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2008 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

I can confirm that my stock copy of "One For The Mockingbird" does feature the credit "remixed by Shelly Yakus"...

Edited by cmmmbase on 08 October 2008 at 6:29pm
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2008 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

The import cd single also has the "extended remix" on it which runs 6:24

Edited by Indy500 on 08 October 2008 at 8:44pm
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 October 2008 at 12:58am | IP Logged Quote abagon

Both the U.S. LP "Broadcast" and the commercial 45 have the description of the remixed by "Shelly Yakus".

The fadeout starts at "3:53" about, and ends at "4:05" on the vinyl 45 with the "shouts of three times" at 4:05.

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------
The commercial 45 label

The U.S. LP "Broadcast" back cover.

--abagon

Edited by abagon on 09 October 2008 at 1:00am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 January 2009 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat, the database is kind of confusing on this entry. It currently says "U.S. LP mix." This is not entirely true, since some copies of the LP have the non-remixed version. It's also misleading, because the 45 and some copies of Broadcast contain the same mix, just differing in length. I'm not sure the best approach for labeling these. Any suggestions?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 January 2009 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

This is confusing because I believe the US vinyl LP had 1 "oh" at :06 but CFTP is saying he has a cd (not vinyl) copy of "Broadcast" with 4 "oh's" at :06. On my "Broadcast" cd there is 1 "oh" at :06 so it is the cd only that appears to have two different mixes. Anyone have a vinyl LP with 4 "oh's" at :06?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 January 2009 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Pat - Can you post the matrix number of your 1-"oh" CD? My 4-"oh" CD is 86002 01# 03-14-94.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 January 2009 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat Downey wrote:
This is confusing because I believe the US vinyl LP had 1 "oh" at :06 but CFTP is saying he has a cd (not vinyl) copy of "Broadcast" with 4 "oh's" at :06. On my "Broadcast" cd there is 1 "oh" at :06 so it is the cd only that appears to have two different mixes. Anyone have a vinyl LP with 4 "oh's" at :06?

"Oh" I see. (Sorry for the pun.) Well, if that's the case, then wouldn't a more appropriate designation be "LP length," as long as no vinyl LP exists with the 4 "oh's"? (Since this version is a "remix" though, I still wonder if US vinyl LPs exist with the non-remixed 4-oh's version.)
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 January 2009 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My matrix number is much simpler -- 90573 which is also the catalog number. I see from my notes that this cd was issued with two different catalog numbers and it appears both of these were mastered differently.

The point I am trying to bring up is since the year was 1987, there were both cd's and vinyl LP's being sold for this title so which should be considered the "LP version" the vinyl LP or the cd?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 January 2009 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I know, this is a very tricky one. Well, the "LP version" should definitely be the remixed version, since it appears on both the CD and vinyl. Unless someone can present evidence of the non-remixed version showing up on vinyl, apparently the non-remixed (UK LP mix) version was only released on CD in the US.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 January 2009 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Let me note that I have a dj vinyl 45 issue of "One For The Mockingbird" and I bring this up as CFTP indicates above that there may not have been a dj issued on this title. The dj is the same as the commercial 45 (U.S. mix) and of course has the same matrix number ST-VR 51251-SP.

I have updated the database with what I hope are clearer comments regarding the cd issues of this song.

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 January 2009 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote abagon

Pat: I think that the comment for the CD of the "U.S. mix, LP length" is proper. However, the comments for CDs of the "U.K. mix, LP length" are not appropriate, because the U.K. mix 45 length records don't exist in the U.S. (The U.S. commercial 45 is the "U.S. mix, 45 length".) The comments for CDs of the "U.K. mix, LP length" should be changed to "U.K. LP mix". Thanks.

F.Y.I.
I have the U.K. 12" of this song. This 12" contains 2 versions. One is the extended version, another is the U.S. mix runs "4:18." (U.K. chart peak pos.#52 on Mar. 1987) Probably the U.S. mix "Broadcast" LP was released on Feb. 1987 in the U.S. It seems that the Siren Records (U.K.) reimported the U.S. mix source of the "One for the Mockingbird"

Additions: "(I just) Died In Your Arms" (U.K. chart peak pos.#4 on Aug. 1986), "I've Been In Love Before" (U.K. chart peak pos.#31 on Oct. 1986, #70 on Jan 1987 (re-entry), and #24 Nov. 1987 as Re-mix.)

--abagon

Edited by abagon on 20 January 2009 at 8:47am

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Been trying to track this song down, all I can find is the 4:23 version on CD. Is the 4:05 available on CD anywhere? If you can recreate it, do you just fade early? I was sort of confused by the thread. Thanks in advance.

Edited by PopArchivist on 15 July 2018 at 11:19am
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Ron (crapfromthepast) mentioned this in another post
above..

"...very long fade at a downbeat at 3:41 and has a roughly
64-beat sinusoidal fade that would end on a downbeat
around 4:07, if the track lasted that long."

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version