Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: dan hartman "i can dream about you" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 February 2007 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat/board members

does anyone know if any of the cds in the db that claim to have the 45 version, does truely contain the 45 version....the 45 version starts with a cymbal tap in the left channel, right before the drum intro...i just bought the cd "pure 80's hits" and it does NOT contain the cymbal tap......there seems to be a few cds claiming to have the 45 length version, does anyone have any of these cds so they can be reviewed....

Edited by edtop40 on 09 November 2010 at 7:20am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 February 2007 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Good catch, Ed! I also have it on Pure 80s Hits, and I never noticed that the first cymbol tap was missing. My copy of Forever 80s does include the cymbol tap at the beginning; however, it is the full LP length.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 February 2007 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

And just to confirm, Ed, your single is a fade of the LP length and not an edit, correct?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 February 2007 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I can verify that the single is a fade of the LP length.

Edited by aaronk on 01 February 2007 at 8:34pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2007 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

The only other CD I see listed in the database as having the "45 length", Rock On 1984, is also missing the opening cymbal tap.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 March 2007 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

According to the database, the 45 length of "I Can Dream About You" is 3:49, while the LP length is 4:09. There are several CDs though where the song's run time is listed at 4:21. Does the track simply run :32 longer than the 45 and :12 longer than the LP, or is this a different version of some kind?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 11 March 2007 at 10:22pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 March 2007 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Just wanted to bump this thread back to the forefront since there were no explanations as to why some CD appearances of "I Can Dream About You" have a 4:21 run time. My guess is that it's an extended version, but can anyone verify for sure?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 March 2007 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

This may be irrelevant to the discussion, but my promo 45 has two versions - one side has the guitar solo, and I believe the other has a sax solo in its place or in addition to guitar. My copy is buried in storage at the moment, but I wonder whether this alternate mix is longer?

This sounds like a question for Jim - any ideas?
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 March 2007 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

The (4:21) version is neither the 45 nor LP version as it has a :12 longer introduction than the 45 and LP. And no Eric, this (4:21) version is not found on either side of the dj 45.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 March 2007 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone remember the video for this song? It had a completely different vocal than the LP/45 version.

Does anyone know if this version has made it to CD?
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 June 2009 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I noticed that the database doesn't have the promo 45 info included (regarding the "sax solo" version). Also, the US 12" single has a (4:23) listed version on it. It would make sense that the (4:21) versions on CD are probably this version. Can anyone confirm?

Roscoe, regarding the video, I looked on YouTube and Universal's official video for this states "Relaid Audio" in the description. So, apparentely they replaced the original video's audio track before posting on YouTube. Another video on YouTube appears to be an exerpt from the Streets Of Fire movie. I had never heard this version, but it's not sung by Dan Hartman. It's sung by the R&B group in the movie, who are called the Sorels. I'm assuming that the original Dan Hartman video didn't include this vocal take; however, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by aaronk on 27 June 2009 at 7:48pm

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 June 2009 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Good thought Aaron but the (4:21) versions found on cd are not the 12" single version.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Martin
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2009 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote Martin

Hi Everybody I Have The Pro Audio Usa INC Gold Trax and on Lite Gold 19 Track Number 1, is I Can Dream About You, the running time is 3:51.
Back to Top View Martin's Profile Search for other posts by Martin

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2009 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Not sure if I can fill in any more detail than what's already been said, but thought I'd share what I have.

My commercial 45 has a printed an actual time of 3:51. It starts with the little cymbal in the left channel, has a guitar solo (no sax anywhere), runs 113.0 BPM throughout, and has a roughly 32-beat fade from the downbeat on the word "dream" at 3:33 to about 3:49 (maybe a little longer than 32 beats to the end of the fade).

I have the Streets Of Fire soundtrack on CD, and it's the same beginning/solo/mix as the 45, only with a later fade. It also runs 113.0 BPM throughout. It runs 4:09, with a 32-beat fade from 3:49 to about 4:07 (maybe a little longer than 32 beats).

The 45 length first appeared on Time-Life's Heart Rock 2-CD set (1988), which runs about 3:51. It's missing the opening cymbal tap in the left channel, and it's a little muffled, as if it's from a high-generation tape. It, too, runs at 113.0 BPM throughout.

The version on Madacy's Rock On 1984 (1996) is digitally exactly 2 dB louder than Heart Rock.

The LP length has the good fortune to be on three different discs mastered by Steve Hoffman - all sound great.

The version on Sandstone's Rock The First Vol. 5 (1992) runs 4:09, and 113.0 BPM throughout. Mystic Music Presents Cool Rock (1995) is digitally identical to Rock The First. The collections Starland Music Presents Lost In Love (1994), Time-Life's Body Talk - Sealed With A Kiss, and Simitar's Love Rocks Vol. 6 - Hot Nights Dim Lights (1998) aren't digital clones, but are very similar in sound quality to Rock The First.

The version on Sandstone's Cosmopolitan Vol. 4 (1992) runs 4:08, and 113.0 BPM throughout.

The version on Razor & Tie's Forever '80s (1994) runs 4:10, and 113.0 BPM throughout. Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties - The Mid-'80s (1996) is a differently-EQ'd clone of Forever '80s.

There's a slightly slower version, running 112.5 BPM throughout, on Priority's The 80's Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 6 - Agony & Ecstasy (1993), running 4:09. The versions on JCI's Only Rock 'N Roll 1980-1984 (1994) and Cornerstone Promotions Presents Touched By Love (1997) aren't digital clones but have very similar sound.

The version on Swaitek's The "A" List (1994) has the opening cymbal, has a guitar solo, runs 3:51 and 113.0 BPM throughout. The fade starts and ends in the same places as the 45, but has a slightly different shape so that it appears to start a little later than the true 45 - no big deal.

All of the above versions have a guitar solo and no sax whatsoever.

Finally, there's the "Remixed by Larry Levan" 5:58 version that turns up on Dan Hartman's Keep The Fire Burnin' CD from 1994. It runs about 3% slower (at 109.6 BPM), and is an entirely different mix than all of the above. This version has a sax solo in it, which leads me to think that any version with sax on it is an edit of this version.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 28 June 2009 at 9:12pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

The database indicates (for "I Can Dream About You"):

(5:58) Chaos/Columbia 53222 Keep The Fire Burnin' (12” single version)

But MMathews has the actual vinyl 12" single, and it runs 7:31. So I think the database listing is wrong. Can anyone say how the 7:31 12" remix version (on vinyl) differs from the "Keep the Fire Burnin'" CD version which clocks in at 5:58?

And unless the 12" actually contains a 5:58 version and a 7:31 version, the database is wrong to indicate "Keep the Fire Burnin'" contains the 12" version? Still, I'd like to know what version is on the "Keep the Fire Burnin'" CD.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

mainrhythm
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2010 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote mainrhythm

I have the 12" single and here's what's listed:

Side 1 5:56 remixed by Larry Levan
Side 2 7:31 remixed by John "Jellybean" Benitez

Edited by mainrhythm on 08 November 2010 at 7:35pm
Back to Top View mainrhythm's Profile Search for other posts by mainrhythm

mainrhythm
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2010 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote mainrhythm

7:31 version

5:56 version

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2010 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Thanks for the clarification. Has the 7:31 12" mix ever appeared on a CD?

Edited by EdisonLite on 08 November 2010 at 8:17pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

mainrhythm
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 November 2010 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote mainrhythm

http://www.discogs.com/Various-1280sLove/release/1283564

Edited by mainrhythm on 09 November 2010 at 7:45am

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 November 2010 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Interesting. I just checked out about 6 CDs in this series. Even on those discogs pages, all volumes are criticized for mislabeled mixes. The label is Family Recordings (UK). Has anyone bought anything on this label and know whether they do a lot of vinyl transfers or use tape sources?

Edited by EdisonLite on 09 November 2010 at 7:50pm

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version