Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "All I Need Is a Miracle" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 January 2007 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

According to the database, DJ 45 copies of Mike + The Mechanics' "All I Need Is a Miracle" run 3:45. The song appears on five CDs with a 3:40-3:41 run time. Does this mean these CDs contain the short DJ edit? I ask because the song on each of these discs run :04-:05 shorter than the stated DJ 45 time of 3:45. Does the vinyl DJ 45 really run 3:45, or is this the time printed on the record label?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2007 at 11:49pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Todd, my good friend, both sides of my promo 45 state "Vocal/Faded Version." My stopwatch results for both sides do, in fact, reflect both a listed and actual running time of exactly (3:45).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 February 2011 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I just got in a promo 45 for this song. Listed time is 3:45, actual time is 3:48. Deadwax is ST A 49132 -1
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote abagon

This song on the vinyl LP tracks into the next selection "Par Avion." (title: Mike + Mechanics -self titled- "Atlantic 81287-1")

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

Ron S
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote Ron S

I have the 4:10 version of the song. Anyone had the edit points to recreate the
promo 45?
Back to Top View Ron S's Profile Search for other posts by Ron S

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm 99% sure it's an early fade, but I will try to pull my promo 45 shortly and
confirm for sure.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

My recreation runs 3:48. Fade runs from 3:39 to 3:48.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Seeing that Jim's timing was 3:45 for the promo 45, I went
back and re-timed mine. Listed and actual time for mine
really is 3:45. Scrap what I said above. Fade is from 3:35
to 3:45.

Edited by eriejwg on 19 March 2019 at 6:23pm

Erie, PA

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 December 2020 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

I'm revisiting this thread because

1) None of the CD versions run the correct time. They stop at 3:41.
2) The fade is abrupt (it just dies if you can call it a fade!), and the 4:10 the fade is normal
3) Which source sounds better? Ron help!

Aaron, can you pull and tell us if it is an early fade or an edit of the 4:10? Thanks!

PS I have to be honest, I wish this song was mastered better. Maybe straight from the 45 it would sound better. I don't know if anyone shares that view or not...

Edited by PopArchivist on 02 December 2020 at 10:11pm

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 December 2020 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

LP and 45 length (4:10)

The song first appeared on CD on the full-length CD Mike + The Mechanics (1985), where tracks into the next selection on the album, "Par Avion". You can hear a bit of synthy sound effects in the last second or two of the fade. I don't know exactly what's at the tail of the 45, but I suspect that it's faded at or before the synthy sound effects.

There's a differently-EQ'd digital clone on Atlantic's 3-CD Classic Rock 1966-1988 (1988). This is one of my very favorite compilations from the late '80s, and was considered an essential purchase back then by lots of us old DJ folks. It's mastered by Ted Jensen and sounds superb, start-to-finish. For this song, the synthy sound effects are faded to zero, to avoid the abrupt end that you'd get from tracking into the next selection.

The LP/45 length appears in the TM Century library twice. Track number 6706 sounds just fine, with no evidence of noise reduction all the way out to the synthy sound effects. Track number 763 hastens the fade and includes noise reduction - avoid. The version on swaitek's promo 50-CD set The A List Vol. 32 (1994) bases its mastering on TM Century track number 763, so it, too, hastens the fade and has noise reduction - avoid.

Promo 45 length (3:45)

According to John G's post above, the promo 45 is just an early fade of the LP/45 version, faded from 3:35 to 3:45. Unfortunately, the promo 45-length versions on CD begin and end their fades too soon.

The almost-promo 45 length first appeared on CD on Warner Special Products' 2-CD Sessions Presents Night Beat (1988), where it fades from about 3:27 to 3:40. Here, the balance is a little off, so that the left channel is a little louder than the right channel, which is not great. I don't hear any evidence of noise reduction on the fade. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Totally '80s (1993)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 12 1985-1986 (1995) - differently-EQ'd digital clone of Totally '80s
  • Time-Life's Ultimate Love Songs Collection Love Is You (2004) - differently-EQ'd digital clone of Totally '80s
I strongly suspect that every CD that has the almost-promo 45 length uses the same analog transfer as Night Beat.

My recommendation

If you already own Atlantic's Mike + The Mechanics (1985), then by all means use it in your library. It sounds just fine.

If you're going to purchase a disc, then go with Atlantic's 3-CD Classic Rock 1966-1988 (1988), which is stellar in every way.

You can fade either of the two discs from 3:35 to 3:45 if you really want the true promo 45 version. I've used Night Beat in my library for years, and didn't really notice any issues with it until I read through this thread.

VWestlife
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 November 2022 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote VWestlife

FYI, the CD "Mike + The Mechanics – The Singles 1985-2014" (not in the database) contains the 1996 re-recording of "All I Need Is a Miracle", not the original single or album verison.
Back to Top View VWestlife's Profile Search for other posts by VWestlife Visit VWestlife's Homepage

kaqueno
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 November 2022 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote kaqueno

Friends, I tell you that all the compilations on cd
released to date by Mike & The Mechanics contain the re-
recorded version of 1996.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version