Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Duran Duran-"Rio" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 January 2007 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

As was also the case for the group's preceding hit, "Hungry Like The Wolf", "Rio" was released twice as a 45. Both of these cases didn't have too much elapsed time in between the two issues. And, like with "Hungry...", "Rio" became a Top 40 hit in its 2nd 45 release. Out initially in December 1982, as Harvest 5175, my promo 45 for this release has both a listed and actual time of (4:34), on both sides. But this issue of the 45 did not chart at all. However, 3 months later, it was re-released with a different mix, on Capitol 5215, and has both a listed and actual time of (3:57). This was the version that made the Top 40. The database currently states that "dj copies of this 45 ran (4:34)". I believe that statement actually refers to the earlier, Harvest non-hit 45 version. Because I do, in fact, have a promo 45 copy for the "hit" Capitol 5215 release, which features the listed and actual (3:57) commercial version on both sides. But because this situation is rather unusual, and a lot of stations still had that Harvest promo 45 laying around, it still might be worthwhile to retain some mention of this (4:34) version, if only for clarification purposes. Frequently, radio would get a 2nd promo 45 version of a song in. I believe some smaller stations (ones that didn't have Capitol record reps badgering them, attempting to clarify which 45 contained the "hit" mix) might have felt it was simply a "play whichever version you prefer" situation, who knows...
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 November 2008 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as capitol 5215 states that the version is "remixed by david kershenbaum" and lists a run time of 3:57 but actually runs 3:58 and is identical to the cd version listed below.....i don't own the picture sleeve for this one...

(S) (3:58) Rhino 71702 New Wave Hits Of The 80's Vol. 9 (45 version)

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 December 2011 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

There are a number of database CDs where the 4:43 version of Duran Duran's "Rio" contains the following comment: "this is neither the dj 45, commercial 45 nor the LP version".

If I'm not mistaken, these discs in question contain the original non-hit 45 version. So if I may suggest a more precise comment for the 4:43 CD appearances, it would be: "original 45 version but not the hit 45 version".
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 December 2011 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Todd, I have the original 45 and the (4:43) versions on cd are definitely not the original 45 rpm version.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 December 2011 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I didn't realize that, Pat. Thanks for the clarification.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 April 2015 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It might be worth mentioning that the non-hit 4:34 45 version is an edit of the "Night Version." Jody, perhaps this is the song you were thinking of where the non-hit 45 was edited from the "Night Version."

EDIT: The above statement is not accurate. The 4:34 version is an edit of the UK 12" which is labeled "Part 1" and not "Night Version."

Edited by aaronk on 10 April 2015 at 10:34am

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 April 2015 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Nope, I was thinking "Hungry"...lol. The Night version and original edit were at least similar if not identical mixes, no? Anyway, I'm going off topic. I sent you an email Aaron. :)

The only edited version I knew of Rio chopped off the intro and the instrumental section prior to the sax solo. Are these both Night Mixes? Perhaps I've never heard the 1982 Mix.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 April 2015 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Just listened to the Night version. It is a bit "dryer" of a mix. I think I have heard this.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 April 2015 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'll have to take back my earlier statement about the 4:34 promo 45 being an edit of the "Night Version." That's not accurate, either. In fact, I just realized that there is a UK 12" version and a separate "Night Version" that was issued on the European Carnival EP. This song has a TON of different versions, but here's what I've gathered so far.

5:12 Part 1 (from the original UK 12" single and later issued on the Duran Duran CD singles box set)
4:34 non-hit US 45 version (an edit of Part 1; not available on CD to my knowledge; pressed on both stock and promo 45s)
5:24 US LP version
3:58 hit US 45 version (an edit of the 5:24 US LP version; first issued on Rhino's New Wave Hits Vol. 9 CD)
5:36 UK LP version (different mix from 5:24 US LP version; appears on Decade)
6:43 "Night Version" (same mix as 5:24 US LP version and 3:58 US 45 version, but extended; appears on Essential Night Versions CD)

Edited by aaronk on 10 April 2015 at 12:42pm

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 April 2015 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I noticed on discogs that there is a UK 7" with a reported run time of 4:40. That makes me wonder if the 4:43 "neither" versions in the database are actually the UK 45 version. If so, that would make 7 different official mixes and edits for this song.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 April 2015 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Better sit down for this one. I found an extremely detailed site that lists 14 versions of the song "Rio".

The following is cut-and-pasted from http://www.ionpool.net/duran/rio.html:

There are 14 different versions for the track 'Rio', although they are based on only 3 different recordings/mixes. First we have the original version of 'Rio' with an approximate 140 BPM. This original version encompasses: Album Version, Video Version, Brazilian Edit and US Edit. Next is the first remix of 'Rio' which runs at an approximate 140 BPM and encompasses: Night Version, UK Single Version, US Album Remix and US Single Remix. This first remix has, among other attributes, a shorter intro, different keyboard parts in the left channel, some additional backing vocals that were recorded for the last verse and are easy to spot while Simon is singing 'you make me feel alive, alive, alive...' and the saxophone at the end of the track was placed into the background. The second mix is only slightly different to the first remix. You can hear the different keyboard parts, but now in both channels. The additional backing vocals are very low in the mix and the saxophone at the end stays in front. This second mix is slightly faster than the other two versions and runs at an approximate 142 BPM, as well as having a shorter intro. This second mix includes: PT. II, UK Promo Single Version, Part 2, Part 1, US Single Version and 12" Mastermix.

Rio [Album Version] (5:33)
The standard Album Version.

Rio (Night Version) (6:39)
This is the David Kershenbaum remix, which appears on the Dutch 12" EP 'CARNIVAL'. It is an extended version, which contains additional instrumental sections and it is based on the first remix.

Rio (PT. II) [Full 7" Mix] (5:02)
This mix appears on the Japanese 12" EP 'CARNIVAL', the Japanese 12" single 'RIO' and subsequent 12" mixes CD issue. It is labeled as 'Rio (PT. II)', based on the second remix, has no intro and is like the US Single Version, including about 28 additional seconds at the end.

Rio [UK Promo Single Version] (4:57)
Released on the promotional one-sided UK 7" single 'RIO'. This version fades out early and is based on the second remix. It is like Part 1, only the instrumental parts before the first and second verse were edited.

Rio [UK Single Version] (4:40)
This mix was used on the UK 7" single. It is a cut based on the first remix and was edited at three places: at the beginning (no intro), after the first refrain and at the end. It is very strange for a Single Version, but it is true: there is only one place where you can find this 'real' Single Version on CD. It was not released on any Greatest Hits Collection and it was not included on 'THE SINGLES 81-85' Box Set. This Single Version of 'Rio' can only be found on CD on the promo-only Japanese 'I DON'T WANT YOUR...SPECIAL DJ COPY' from 1988.

Rio (Part 2) (5:28)
This is the 12" remix which appears on the UK 12". Although listed on the Japanese 'CARNIVAL' (Japanese 12" and subsequent 2-CD set), the wrong master was delivered to the Toshiba-EMI offices in Tokyo (see the Full 7" Mix above). It is a completely different mix, which eliminates most of the vocals. It has only an indication of the intro and a totally different end. It fits best to the second remix, because of the different keyboard parts in both channels, but has also identical sections to the first remix, like the 140 BPM mix.

Rio (Part 1) (5:11)
This version fades out early and is based on the second remix. It appears on the B-side of the UK 12" single.

Rio [Video Version] (5:03)
This is an edit of the standard Album Version. Only a few seconds from the intro were removed and the last refrain was changed/edited. Oddly, in the US, the video originally played on MTV & VH1 used an edit of the US Album Remix. It is a much more logical edit than the UK Video Version, where it was 'spliced' halfway through the first line of the last chorus. The US Video Version cuts at the beginning of the bar so the 'horn blast' is intact as well as the shift in drum beat. As far as we know, this version was never released on any issue. Therefore, this US Video Version is not considered here as a separate version of the song.

Rio [US Single Version] (4:34)
This mix has the same cuts as the standard Single Version: at the beginning (no intro), after the first refrain and at the end. But it is based on the second remix, whereas the Single Version is from the first remix. This version appears on the first issue of the US 7" single for 'RIO'.

Rio [US Album Remix] (5:24)
This is a version based on the first remix. A few more seconds from the intro were removed and the sax at the end of track was placed only a little into the back. This remix appears also on the promotional American 12" single for 'RIO'.

Rio [US Single Remix] (3:58)
This is a remix completed by David Kershenbaum for the remastered and remixed release of the 'RIO' single in America. It is the standard Single Version, without the girl's laughing and only the second half of the sax solo. The fade out already begins with Simon singing 'she don't need to understand...'. Oddly, THIS mix was included on Volume 9 of the 'JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH' CD series on Rhino Records and not the Album Version or the original US 7" version .

Rio [Brazilian Edit] (3:36)
This is an edit of the standard UK Album Version. It fades out very early during the sax solo. This mix can be found on the Brazilian 7" EP 'RIO'.

Rio (US Edit) (4:43)
This is a cut based on the UK Album Version and is found on the 'GREATEST' releases. The beginning and the end are the only parts of the song that have been changed. It is possible that the persons who compiled 'GREATEST' in 1998 while looking for the UK Single Version found this version sitting in a box in the Abbey Road Studio tape library, which sounded about right for them.

Rio (12" Mastermix) (6:56)
This extended version includes the intro and the vocal sections that were edited out of Part 2, but has the same instrumental portion and the same unique end. It could best be classified as the second remix, because of the different keyboard parts in both channels, but has also identical sections to the first remix, like the 140 BPM This remix was included on a 4 CD Box set that was released in 2005 for DJs and sounds legitimate. The company making the CDs is from the UK, so if it is officially licensed, we suspect EMI got a request for this compilation set and either unknowingly picked out a version that'd never been released before.

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 December 2015 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Is anyone familiar with the Harvest release and where specifically the three edits are on that first US single version? Thanks!
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 July 2016 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Does anyone have a crappy demo of the Rio (US Single that runs 3:57) so I can hear the mix differences. I thought it was just an edit of the US LP version.

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 July 2016 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Actually I found it online. I can hear that that music has a bit more "warmth" to it in the upper bass, and the percussion is more loud and reverberating. But I did have the edit points right on my own edit. Just the LP version that I used.
:)

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 April 2023 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Just an FYI- if anyone's interested, the super-list of "Rio" versions that Ron referenced above moved to a new site some time ago, and some of the info has changed, esp. around the 4th listed version, the UK "Single
Version":

http://durancompilations.com/rio.html#rio
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version