Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: free--all right now Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 April 2008 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Thanks for the scans, Hykker! Might as well repost these from the Carpenters thread:

Label scans

I A/B'd the above 45s with my promo copy of the Fire And Water LP, and you can tell the difference between the 45 and LP mixes on the very first note. They're that different.

Edited by Yah Shure on 16 January 2012 at 4:59pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 April 2008 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Thanks Bill & Hykker for letting me know that there was a 4:14 promo!; I have only seen the 2:70 version at record shows over the years & I had only heard the 2:70 version on top-40 radio (& the album mix on "progressive rock" stations) when it was a current.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my 45 issued as a&m 1206 is listed as in stereo and indeed is a stereo recording with a listed and running time of 4:14.....i only mention this because brian found another cd that has this 45 version......BUT.....the version on that cd is slightly longer....if you fade out the last 0:02 you'll be able to replicate the true 45 version......

I was wading through the old thread about Free's "All Right Now," and I
discovered I have a version that runs an actual 4:15 on an Australian
import called "Flower Power." (That's the same CD where I got the mono
mix of Frigid Pink's "House of the Rising Sun.") Doug mentioned he
has a 4:15 version on an import as well, but thought it sounded punchier
than the 45.

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

MY commercial copy is the same as shown on the MONO version shown above. That version is indeed a different recording than the album version. It is now on CD.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 January 2012 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I just want to make sure I have this straight regarding Free's "All Right Now"... Do ALL commercial 45 copies from 1970 contain the 4:13 version? And were all commercial 45 pressings issued in stereo, or were some pressed in mono as well?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 January 2012 at 6:02am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Yah Shure wrote:
I A/B'd the above 45s with my promo copy of the Fire And Water LP, and you can tell the difference between the 45 and LP mixes on the very first note. They're that different.

Curiously, what's the difference between the 2:70 and the (apparently re-issued) 3:30 version? Are they both the 45 mix?

There is an edit of this song on a promo-only LP called "A&M Forget Me Nots", which is an attempt to re-create the radio edit using the album mix.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 January 2012 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote KentT

All Ochre label pressings of this were 4:13. Caveat. The
commercial 45 single was released with the Haeco-CSG system
which made it phasey sounding. The original promo 45 single
did not have Haeco-CSG. Find a promo if you can.

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 January 2012 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Hykker wrote:
Curiously, what's the difference between the 2:70 and the (apparently re-issued) 3:30 version? Are they both the 45 mix?

There is an edit of this song on a promo-only LP called "A&M Forget Me Nots", which is an attempt to re-create the radio edit using the album mix.

Yes, they're both the 45 mix. Aside from the mono/stereo difference, the 2:70 mono DJ 45 (actual 3:12) and the 3:30 (actual 3:45) 1975 reissue on A&M 1720 are identical, save for an earlier fade on the former.

The edit of the LP mix found on the 1977 promo-only Forget Me Nots double LP is the shortest LP mix vinyl version I've found. Listed time is 4:14, but the actual time is only 3:31. The edit of the guitar solo is also four seconds shorter than the corresponding edited guitar solo on the two 45s mentioned in the above paragraph.

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 January 2012 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Todd Ireland wrote:
Do ALL commercial 45 copies from 1970 contain the 4:13 version? And were all commercial 45 pressings issued in stereo, or were some pressed in mono as well?

Mine actually runs 4:12, just to add to the confusion. :)

But it appears that all commercially-available 1970 US 45s - including those erroneously labeled as "2:70 MONO" - played the stereo 4:14-ish recording. Grant mentions above that his commercial 2:70 mono copy is like the one pictured at the top of this page, but on the thread's first page, he mentioned that it actually played the 4:14 stereo. I'm guessing he meant that the *label* looked like the one pictured above (a Monarch pressing, more likely to show up in Arizona.)   

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2012 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

In order to help make sense of the dizzying proliferation of U.S. A&M "All Right Now" vinyl releases, I thought it might help to summarize the details visually. Here is a comparison based on the actual timings of the vinyl versions I have. All were individually recorded to sound editor (Sound Forge) to ensure timing accuracy (actual times are listed on the visual.)

The variations shown in the visual, in chronological order of release:

(A) Fire And Water LP, DJ copy, 1970
(B) A&M 1206 commercial 45, 1970
(C) A&M 1206 DJ 45 "2:70" edit, 1970
(D) A&M 8550 Forget Me Nots reissue 45 "specs" label, circa 1972
(E) A&M 1720 reissue 45 Best Of Free tie-in, DJ copy, 1975
(F) A&M 8550 Forget Me Nots reissue 45 "finger" label, 1977
(G) A&M Forget Me Nots promo-only LP, 1977
(H) A&M 8550 Memories reissue 45, circa 1986

Notes:

(B) Also corresponds to original 4:14 mono/stereo DJ 45. Reported times range from 4:12 to 4:14. As it turned out, this was the sole vinyl issue of the longest version of the 45 mix. Commercial 45s were all encoded with HAECO-CSG, which was (thankfully) dropped on all further "All Right Now" reissues.

(C) Some commercial 45s were erroneously issued with "2:70 MONO" labels, but all reports indicate the records themselves played the standard 4:14 stereo version found on all other commercial copies of A&M 1206. Only the "2:70 MONO" DJ 45 contained the actual edited version.

(D) First reissue 45, and the debut appearance of the 3:45 edit.

(D), (E) and (F) are ALL IDENTICAL.

(E) Released as a current-line single tie-in to the then-new Best Of Free LP in 1975, A&M 1720 was basically a re-badging of the already-in-print, 45 mix/edit Forget Me Nots reissue 45, save for its mention of the new LP. However, the actual album contained the LP version of the track.

(G) In a 180-degree flip from the usual 45-promotes-the LP marketing strategy, this promo-only double-LP was issued to promote the revamped 1977 Forget Me Nots reissue 45 catalog. Ironically, the version of "All Right Now" on the Forget Me Nots LP differed considerably from the actual Forget Me Nots reissue 45 it was intended to promote. Sound familiar?

(H) I don't know the release date of the Memories reissue 45. The pictured copy came from the library of an oldies station which switched to the format in 1986. Surprise! This copy contains the full 5:29 LP version! Grant had posted upthread that his Memories reissue 45 contained an edit of the LP mix, so there are apparently multiple variations of the Memories reissue single in circulation.

The "guitar solo" times shown on the visual represent the interval on the 45 mix between the initial guitar solo edit and the resumption of the "All Right Now" refrain. To match that with the LP mix, the same interval begins with the "it's all right, now" line (which corresponds to the beginning of the 45's initial guitar solo edit) to where the song's signature riff resumes. The primary intent here is to note the differing lengths of the 45 mix's guitar solo lengths.      

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 January 2012 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Wow! Thanks for this awesome summary and history of the releases!

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2012 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Only thing is, the A&M 1720 press has a 1972 copyright date on the label, not 1975... did it really come out 3 years later than it states on the label? If it actually is from 1972 I'm wondering if it might have actually come out ahead of the first Forget Me Nots reissue....

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2012 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

TomDiehl1 wrote:
Only thing is, the A&M 1720 press has a 1972 copyright date on the label, not 1975... did it really come out 3 years later than it states on the label?

Yes, A&M 1720 was released in 1975. Copyright dates do not necessarily correlate to release dates. Consider the following:

1. Catalog numbers of A&M's current-line 45s were generally in the 1300 to early 1400 range during 1972. The 1700 series did not appear until 1975.

2. A&M DJ 45s issued in 1972 would have still appeared on the label with the large red "A&M" logo to the left of the center hole.

3. A&M changed its familiar "ochre" 45 and LP label design to a silver "fade" design at the end of 1973, with the newer labels appearing as existing supplies of the older labels were used up. Promo record labels also changed at the same time. The DJ 45 label design used on A&M 1720 is this newer design.

4. The very next 45 in A&M's 45 sequence - 1721 - was "Solitaire" by Carpenters, which charted in August of 1975.

5. The Best Of Free LP was released in 1975. It did not exist in 1972.       

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2012 at 11:42pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks, Yah Shure, for helping sort through this mess. My headache is starting to go away now! :-)
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 January 2012 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Thanks, Yah Shure.... I'll make a note of that on my sleeve for my copy of that promo. This is one of the reasons I like this board...since I wasn't around when these issues came out, I learn all sorts of interesting things about them decades later..

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 September 2020 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I identified seven different versions of the song in existence. I will document everything here, so that I never have to revisit this song ever again.

LP version (5:31)

I found a few different analog transfers for the LP version.

The oldest one that I have is on Priority's Seventies Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 7 Rough And Rowdy (1991), which is a little compressed/limited. It's probably based on A&M's Free collection Best Of, but I can't confirm. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Time-Life's Guitar Rock Vol. 10 Classics (1994)
  • Time-Life's Legends My Generation (2004) - digitally exactly 1.46 dB louder than Guitar Rock Vol. 10 Classics
There's another analog transfer on Razor & Tie's 2-CD Those Rocking '70s (1991), which has an unpleasant EQ.

There's another analog transfer on Polydor's 4-CD Classic Rock Box (1992). The same analog transfer is used on:
  • PolyGram's 2-CD Entertainment Weekly Presents Rock Anthems (1993) - digitally exactly 0.04 dB louder
  • Compass Productions/Warner Special Products' 1970's Seventies Classic Rock (1999) - digitally identical
  • Realm's 3-CD Greatest Hits Of The '70s Vol. 2 (2002) - differently-EQ'd digital clone
There's another analog transfer on PolyGram's promo compilation PGD Presents Great Sounds Vol. 2 (1992), which is likely based on the mastering from A&M's Free album Fire And Water, but I can't confirm.

45 version (4:13)

The 45 is an entirely different mix, with lots of parts rerecorded from the LP version.

It's on Island's 2-CD Island Story (1987), and a few other more recent collections that I don't have.

Non-hit reissue 45 version (3:43)

This version first appeared around 1972 on A&M reissued 45s, and also appeared on a 1975 promo 45 that promoted the Best Of Free vinyl LP. (Much credit to Yah Shure for posting this info above.)

The reissue 45 version uses the 45 mix. It edits the solo of the commercial 45 version and runs out to the full length of commercial 45.

This version does not appear on CD.

Promo 45 version (released to radio in 1970 concurrent with commercial 45) (3:12)

The promo 45 version uses the 45 mix. It's just the reissue 45 version faded early from 3:06 to 3:12.

This version does not appear on CD.

Non-hit 1989 Bill Inglot edit of LP version (3:49)

This is an edit of the LP version, which first appeared on Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 1 1970 (1989). Bill Inglot's name appears in the CD credits, so I'll attribute the edit to him, even if he wasn't the one who actually made the edit.

This version edits the solo (I didn't check to see if the edit is really the same as what's done on the 45; I suspect that it isn't), and fades slightly early compared to the LP version fade.

The following discs use the same analog transfer as Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 1 1970 (1989):
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Guitar Rock (1990)
  • Simitar/Warner Special Products' Stud Rock Wild Ride (1998)
Non-hit 1975 Forget Me Nots promo LP version (3:33)

This version appeared on a 1975 A&M promotional album called Forget Me Nots to promote a series of rerelease 45s. (Even more credit to Yah Shure for posting this info above.)

It's just Bill Inglot's 1989 edit of the LP version faded early from 3:26 to 3:33.

Miraculously, this version does appear on CD. I have it on:
  • Silver Eagle/Capitol's 3-CD Formula 45 (1988)
  • Sessions/Warner Special Products' 2-CD Night Beat (1988)
Non-hit (in US) 1991 Bob Clearmountain remix (4:18)

This is a drastically remixed version that turned out to be a UK hit in 1991. It's not subtle.

I have it on:
  • EMI Virgin PolyGram's 2-CD Now That's What I Call Music 19 (1991)
  • a UK 2-CD collection called Number One Seventies Album (1997)
  • Skifan Iceland's 2-CD Pottþétt Rokk (1997)
My recommendations

For the LP version, I guess you'll be fine with Polydor's 4-CD Classic Rock Box (1992), or (I'm guessing) A&M's single-artist Best Of.

For the 45 version, go with Island's 2-CD Island Story (1987).

If you must own any of the other versions, go with whatever you can find.

Keep in mind that I only listed info for CDs that I own. There are plenty of discs out there that I don't own.

garye
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote garye

At one time I had a promo copy of "All Right Now"
reissued in 1975 for the Greatest Hits Release. It
stated 3:30 on the label, but timed at 3:15! A year
later ran a friend had a promo copy from the same time
period that ran 3:30! I'm sure of the time because I
played it on the College Station I worked at the time.
Did anyone else have a copy like that? I got rid of the
copy years ago, sorry to say. But always stuck in my
head!
Back to Top View garye's Profile Search for other posts by garye

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 September 2020 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

OK Guys, I need to know what I missed and what I might have done wrong. I've got the radio edit that Ron provided - the one that says it's an early fade of the 45 (on Island). But when I tried to recreate it, I found a big chunk of the 45 had been edited (appx 2:35.8-3:03.67). When I removed that and faded from 3:06-3:12 it ended up matching beautifully, but it wasn't just a fade. I don't have the actual promo 45. Anybody know what I missed?
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 September 2020 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Robert - The promo 45 is an early fade of the non-hit reissue 45, not the hit 45. The non-hit reissue 45 edits the solo of the hit 45.

I know, clear as mud.

garye
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote garye

Robert wrote:
OK Guys, I need to know what I missed
and what I might have done wrong. I've got the radio
edit that Ron provided - the one that says it's an early
fade of the 45 (on Island). But when I tried to
recreate it, I found a big chunk of the 45 had been