Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: free--all right now Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 March 2005 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

can anyone verify if the cd "island story 1962-87" contains
the 45 version of "all right now" by free that runs 4:14 in
length?

Edited by edtop40 on 01 May 2022 at 6:25am

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 March 2005 at 5:16am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Yeah, Pat verifies it in his book, which has a whole write-up about all the different running times of this song. According to him, it's 4:12 on "The Island Story."
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2006 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

I just widdled down my 5:30+ mix from a TMCentury library down to the 4:12 mix. The mix is a little off - I think the vocals aren't as prominent on my CD.

But in any case, FYI, you can match the long version to the short one by cutting from 2:01 to 2:19, and from 3:35 to 4:23, and fading at the original 5:00 point to 5:18.
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2006 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

The original 45 of this was weird....over the years i've seen 3 different stock labels for this one.... one said Mono, one said Compatible Stereo, one said Stereo. I don't believe the one that said mono actually was, but i also think one of the three had a different edit or playing time than the others, but i never had all 3 at any one time (or even 2 of the three). I never even thought about it until years later when I found out that the 45 was an edited version.

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2006 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

The original mono/stereo A&M promo 45 shows a 4:14 run time for both sides, but I haven't timed them to check.

GM
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2006 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hi people,

Please don't forget the 45 was a completely different mix than the LP. Rhythm guitar parts were rerecorded, A temple block was replaced with a cowbell, vocal was mixed louder, etc.

I believe most commercial singles were Haeco-CSG mastered, while the stereo promos were not. Also most promos in the USAwere further edited down from the 4:14 (excising half of the lead guitar solo).

The "Island Story" contains the correct commercial single mix/edit without the nasty Haeco-CSG processing (but contains just a little bit of "undecoded Dolby" artifacts).

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2006 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

Then, what's the version on Time Life "Sounds Of The 70s"? The promo? That's the one that got played on the radio and is what I thought was the single version I recall. It runs about 3:49.

Edited by Grant on 26 April 2006 at 10:19pm
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2006 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hi Grant,

Isn't the "Sounds Of The 70s" version an edit of the LP mix? Is there a place I can hear a sample?

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 April 2006 at 5:17am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Didn't Pat mention something about reissue 45s of "All Right Now" running (3:48)? That time jibes with the Sounds of the Seventies 1970 CD, but whether the reissue 45 has the LP mix edited down or the 45 mix edited down I don't know. The CD edited down the LP mix.

Edited by sriv94 on 27 April 2006 at 5:18am

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 April 2006 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i've a/b'ed the 2 and the 45 is identical to the version from the "island" 2 cd set.........and runs 4:14....

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 April 2006 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote jimct

sriv94, the 3:48-ish reissue version came out in 1975, b/w "The Stealer". A&M tried to drum up some new radio interest, and capitalize on the new-found success of Free's successor group (Bad Company) by putting out an entire LP, Best Of Free. That 1975 45 version was an edit of the 4:14 45 version, not the LP.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 April 2006 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

jimct wrote:
sriv94, the 3:48-ish reissue version came out in 1975, b/w "The Stealer". A&M tried to drum up some new radio interest, and capitalize on the new-found success of Free's successor group (Bad Company) by putting out an entire LP, Best Of Free. That 1975 45 version was an edit of the 4:14 45 version, not the LP.

Good to know. So the Time-Life version isn't the reissue 45, it's an edit of the LP version in an attempt to simulate the reissue 45.

A&M put out a CD single with a (3:35) version, which was also edited from the LP version. The question now is whether that's one of the DJ edits or if it's another incorrect edit.

And call me Doug--almost everyone else does. :)

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 April 2006 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Doug (and sorry about that): There's more than one T/L V/A CD with an "All Right Now" version with around that running time. I pulled out my T/L "Sounds Of The Seventies - 1970" to check for ya - within 5 seconds I could tell it was a bogus edit of the LP version. The dead giveaway is always after the first 4 notes of the song, (which is repeated throughout), A single, sparse, guitar note follows on all LP mixes (as well as the edit I just heard.) All 45 mixes have a much busier, quick-10-strum guitar part there, again repeated throughout. The 1970 4:14 stock/promo mix is the source audio for BOTH the 3:12 1970 DJ 45 (listed as "2:70" as a wisecrack to combat radio's request for a version under 3 minutes) and the 1975 re-issue (which is EXACTLY 3:42 - just checked.) NO 45 on this put out between '70 & '75 EVER used the LP mix at all, and are always bogus when found on any CD in edited form.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 April 2006 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Not a problem, Jim, and thanks for the knowledge.

I have a CD with a (4:15) version of "All Right Now," but the mix is a little punchier than what I remember the 45 being (again, not having vinyl or a turntable at my disposal is a disadvantage here). It's an import called Pop Dreams and Rocktracks - The Earthquake Album. Not sure if the version is the actual 45 mix, or if it's a remix (maybe someone here can shed some light). I also have the aforementioned SotS - 1970 CD, with the LP edit.

Edited by sriv94 on 27 April 2006 at 1:36pm

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

I just picked up an A&M Memories 45 reissue of the song,time listed at 4:14, and it's the album version edited like the commercial 45.

I also found an commercial A&M 45 marked MONO with a time listed as 2:70(!) on the label, but runs 4:14! It also sounds like a CSG compatible mastering but not marked as such.

What a WEIRD situation!
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Thanks to Jim for the clear explanation as to the 45 version vs LP version differences. I have gone through the database and made additional comments regarding the "unsuccessful attempts at recreating the various reissue 45 versions". You will find several cd's listed in the database that do feature the true 45 version of the commercial 45. Oddly enough, the reissue 45 that runs (3:32) is just an edit of the LP version and not an edit of the 45 version.

Edited by Pat Downey on 18 May 2006 at 7:49pm
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 April 2008 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

There was a lot of conversation on this record on a Carpenters string so I figured I'd move what I know to this one. Here's what was being discussed:

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Free's single mix of "All Right Now" Haeco-CSG processed on the A&M commercial 45, but NOT CSG processed on the stereo side of the DJ edit-of-single-mix 45?

Andy

Yah Shure
MusicFan

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Andy, I don't have the 4:14 DJ 45 of A & M 1206. My copy is the mono/mono edit with the "2:70" stated running time (a warm-up, perhaps, to the 2:98 stated time on the group's 1973 non-charter "Wishing Well" [Island 1212].)

I also have the 1975 non-CSG stereo DJ 45 reissue (A & M 1720) from the Best Of Free LP with a stated time of 3:30.

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan

Posts: 256 Posted: 09 April 2008 at 8:23am | IP Logged    

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Hi 'Yah Shure',

I don't believe there was a 4:14 DJ 45 of "All Right Now". There was only the '2:70' edit-of-the-single-mix (but I'm pretty sure there was a stereo/mono copy too [although my memory could be playing tricks on me]).

The 1975 DJ 45 reissue was an edit of the LP mix, I believe. Could you please check for me?

The single mix has a more energetic rhythm guitar riff & prominant cowbell, the LP mix has a simpler rhythm guitar part & a temple block.

Andy

Yah Shure
MusicFan

Hi Andy,

The 1975 DJ 45 is, interestingly, the 45 mix with an actual time of 3:44. I don't have the Best Of Free LP, which leads me to ask: which version is on that LP?
--------------------------------------------------------

Cahill comments:

OK here's what I have:

I agree that the 1975 promo 45 released to promote the Best Of Free album IS the 45 mix, (I have it), but the run time is not 3:30 as stated on the label but runs 3:44 as already noted. It makes the guitar section edit that the 2:70 version makes but runs longer.

There was a 4:14 stereo/mono promo 45 (I have it) and the stereo side has CSG etched in the trail wax.

Bill

Edited by Bill Cahill on 09 April 2008 at 6:40pm
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 April 2008 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Thanks, Bill!
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 April 2008 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

jimct wrote:
The dead giveaway is always after the first 4 notes of the song, (which is repeated throughout), A single, sparse, guitar note follows on all LP mixes (as well as the edit I just heard.) All 45 mixes have a much busier, quick-10-strum guitar part there, again repeated throughout.

I never really paid attention to that fact until Bill Cahill revived this thread! Good info, Jim!

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 April 2008 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

AndrewChouffi wrote:

I don't believe there was a 4:14 DJ 45 of "All Right Now". There was only the '2:70' edit-of-the-single-mix (but I'm pretty sure there was a stereo/mono copy too [although my memory could be playing tricks on me]).

Yes there was:

One of these days I'll scan a record and actually have it lined up properly. :-/

Years ago I had a stock copy showing the "2:70" time on the label, but it was the 4:14 version, not the edit.

Edited by Hykker on 10 April 2008 at 4:48pm
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version