Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: culture club "karma chameleon" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 January 2007 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat

the 45's face states the run time as 4:05 but it actually runs 4:11 like many of the cds in the db......the 4:05 cd versions listed in the db are faded about 0:05 early....

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

The length of 'Karma Chameleon' on many CDs is about 3:58, which was the 45 length in the UK (and perhaps other countries).

In the case of another Culture Club song, 'The War Song', the database mentions a 45 length and an LP length, but the 45 is actually an edit. (The edit is near the end of the song.)

Edited by Paul C on 02 January 2007 at 7:23am
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

at what point is the edit??...because i can't detect any edit.....

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2007 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

Ed, the edit is at about 3:25.

After Mr. O'Dowd has sung the chorus for the last time (and while the background singers continue to repeat the chorus), he sings "No more war; Say no more war: Say war." At this point on the 45, he twice sings a line I've never been able to decipher (I don't think it's in English). On the LP version, he continues to repeat the "No more war" line, or variances thereof, several more times before he starts singing the mystery line.

I know this isn't a lyrics board, but does anyone have any idea what he's actually singing?
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2007 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

ok...i just listened to my 45 versus a cdr copy of the song that runs 3:57....i don't know where i got the original but the 3:57 version i have on cdr is identical to the version from the commercial 45.....so....looking at the db.....the 3:57 version should really say "45 version" and not "45 length".....pat...please make this amendement on the board....

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 August 2008 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

According to abagon, the commercial 45 run time of Culture Club's "Karma Chameleon" is 4:10, not 4:05 as stated on the record label. Ed reported very similar run time info in the initial post of this thread, but then he later claimed his 45 actually runs 3:57. So do we have two different 45 pressings here?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 August 2008 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Todd, I think Ed was referring to "The War Song" and not "Karma Chameleon" (at least that's how I read his 3:57 post).
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 August 2008 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Now that you mention it, Pat, I think you're probably right about Ed's 3:57 post referring to "The War Song". Sorry for the confusion, Ed!

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 September 2008 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland wrote:
According to abagon, the commercial 45 run time of Culture Club's "Karma Chameleon" is 4:10, not 4:05 as stated on the record label. Ed reported very similar run time info in the initial post of this thread, but then he later claimed his 45 actually runs 3:57. So do we have two different 45 pressings here?

Just thought I'd bump this thread back up to the front page because the run time info hasn't yet been incorporated into the database. I know I've posted a ton of run time info for '80s hits on the message board as of late, so it's perfectly understandable if a couple items have slipped through the cracks!

Edited by Todd Ireland on 07 September 2008 at 9:12pm

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2008 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

Paul C wrote:
Ed, the edit is at about 3:25.

After Mr. O'Dowd has sung the chorus for the last time (and while the background singers continue to repeat the chorus), he sings "No more war; Say no more war: Say war." At this point on the 45, he twice sings a line I've never been able to decipher (I don't think it's in English). On the LP version, he continues to repeat the "No more war" line, or variances thereof, several more times before he starts singing the mystery line.

I know this isn't a lyrics board, but does anyone have any idea what he's actually singing?

He is saying "Senso Hantai" which is Japanese and loosely translates to "no more war."
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2012 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I have this song on a whopping 21 CDs, and I've actually made some sense of the mastering history. As far as I can tell, the only differences seem to be the length of the fade. The starting point of the fade is the same for all 21 CDs - it's at about 3:41 at the word "lovin'". I can't compare with anything from vinyl, since I've recently moved into a new house and my vinyl is inaccessible.

The longest run time seems to be about 4:11, and it's found on these CDs:
  • Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1984 (1992) - my first choice for versions running this length
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Good Times (1991; mine is RE-1 reissue) - uses same analog transfer as Billboard but has a tiny noise at the very tail of the fade
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Totally '80s (1993) - uses same analog transfer as Good Times, also includes noise at tail of fade
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 6 1984 (1994) - digital clone of Billboard but with lots of added compression - avoid
  • Big Ear Music's Only In The 80's Vol. 2 (1995) - extends farther out than others by a fraction of a second and actually comes to a truncated fade; opposite absolute polarity as the others, which is insignificant
  • Virgin's Colour By Numbers - I don't have this one
Next, there's a version running about 3:59, which seems to have originated on CD with the many greatest hits albums:
  • Best Of (1989)
  • At Worst (1993) - differently EQ'd digital clone of 1989 Best Of
  • Ten Best Series (1994) - digitally exactly 0.841 dB quieter than At Worst; my first choice for versions running this length, although many others sound pretty much the same as this disc
  • EMI UK's 2-CD Now 1983 (1993) - uses same analog transfer as Ten Best Series and doesn't hasten the fade like other tracks on this CD series
  • Sony Germany's 2-CD Pop And Wave Vol. 3 (1992) - differently EQ'd digital clone of Ten Best Series
  • Priority's Rock Of The '80s Vol. 12 (1994) - seems to use same analog transfer as Ten Best Series but with added compression - avoid
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Punk (1996) - uses same analog transfer as Ten Best Series; in what universe is this song considered punk?
  • Madacy's Rock On 1983 (1996) - digitally exactly 1.2 dB louder than Ten Best Series
  • EMI Australia's 5-CD Eighties Complete Vol. 1 (1997) - sounds a little muffled compared to others; higher-generation tape source?
  • Disky Europe's 8-CD Greatest Hits Of The '80 (1998) - uses same analog transfer as Ten Best Series
  • Universal's Pure '80s (1999) - uses same analog transfer as Ten Best Series but with huge amount of added compression - avoid
Finally, Bill Inglot did what appears to be a new analog transfer for the Just Can't Get Enough series, running about 4:06. It's on:
  • Rhino's Just Can't Get Enough, Vol. 12 (1995) - it'a a little loud and clips a bit
  • Rhino's Instant Party Blow-Out (2001) - digital clone of Just Can't Get Enough; clips a lot
  • Rhino's 7-CD Like Omigod (2002) - uses same analog transfer as Just Can't Get Enough but even louder - avoid
Unless noted above, virtually all the 4:11 and 3:59 versions sound excellent. The 4:06 versions also sound good, but they're a little loud and clip a bit.

The only questions remaining are what these different lengths correspond to. Because I can't play vinyl right now, I'll venture a guess out of thin air:
  • 4:11 - LP and US 45 length
  • 3:59 - UK 45 length (or possibly originating on the greatest hits disc?)
If anyone wants to check these, that'd be great.

Incidentally, the song is recorded with a live drummer and a click track, and runs at about 184.0 BPM on just about all of the above discs. No speed errors on any of the above disc. Oh, and the little "march" section runs at 188 BPM - no click track from 3:11 to 3:32.

(Edited to indicate that 4:11 is both LP and US 45 length, and removed my guess that 4:06 is the US 45 length.)

Edited by crapfromthepast on 02 April 2014 at 8:26am

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 August 2012 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Good stuff, Ron!

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

Paul C wrote:
The length of 'Karma Chameleon' on many CDs is
about 3:58, which was the 45 length in the UK (and perhaps other
countries).

Is there a difference between the US single version and the UK single
version (or just an early fade)?
Back to Top View chendagam's Profile Search for other posts by chendagam

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 March 2016 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote Loveland

As far as I know, the only place to find all of their single versions, which for the most part were just edits/fades, is the Japanese compilation "The Greatest".

http://www.discogs.com/Culture-Club-The-Greatest/release/169 9463
Back to Top View Loveland's Profile Search for other posts by Loveland

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 November 2018 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Bumping this thread up for Ron.

David Pro
MusicFan
MusicFan