Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Stevie Wonder - Do I Do Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 December 2006 at 2:01am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

On a couple CDs listed in the database, the hit "Do I Do" by Stevie Wonder is listed as "45 version" with a run time of (5:01). The note at the top says commercial copies were all (4:56), which is a five second discrepancy.

Do the (5:01) versions have an incorrect fadeout? The reason I ask is because the fade is quite awkward. Just as the song goes to only percussion (and coincidentally right after 4:56), there is a very quick fadeout. Can anyone verify?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 December 2006 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks to Jim, I was able to verify that the 45 time listed in the database is incorrect. The actual 45 time is (5:01), just like the CDs containing the 45 version. The fadeout of the 45 matches the fadeout on the CDs containing the 45 version; it's a very quick 3 or 4 second fade, starting right after the breakdown where there's only percussion.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 December 2006 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote jimct

I also have a 2nd promo 45 for this. Below the title and artist, it clearly states "WITH HARMONICA SOLO", and has both a listed and actual time of (5:18). Aaron has compared this version to the 10:00+ LP version, and informs me that unique audio not found on the LP exists on this 2nd promo 45. Aaron, feel free to provide more specifics on the unique audio segment.   
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 December 2006 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

jimct wrote:
I also have a 2nd promo 45 for this. Below the title and artist, it clearly states "WITH HARMONICA SOLO", and has both a listed and actual time of (5:18). Aaron has compared this version to the 10:00+ LP version, and informs me that unique audio not found on the LP exists on this 2nd promo 45. Aaron, feel free to provide more specifics on the unique audio segment.   

Just FYI, the 5:18 version was released commercially on the B-side of the Motown Yester-year Oldie Series single of "That Girl".
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 December 2006 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, Jim is correct. There is a short section right before the harmonica solo on this DJ version (and commercial reissue) that is nowhere to be found on the long LP version.

When they made the edit, essentially, they removed Stevie's talking from the mix when he introduces Dizzie Gillespie, and this short instrumental part precedes the harmonica solo on the edit. Also, the LP version has a slight overlap of Dizzy's horn solo and Stevie's harmonica solo. For the edit, the horn solo was removed from the mix.

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 November 2009 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

And if all that isn't enough, I just discovered that the version on "Definitive" contains two glaring sections that aren't on the 45. From about 3:25 to about 3:36 and again from about 4:23 to somewhere around 4:48, where it resumes. Maybe Pat should change the DB to "...really crummy edit with the wrong stuff." OK maybe something shorter, but it "definitely" ain't the 45. The only other 45 listed is on "Motown Year By Year 1982." Does anyone know if it's the correct one?
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 November 2009 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Robert, are you using a promo 45 as the reference? The promo 45 version "with harmonica solo" is different than the commercial 45. That much is certain.

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2009 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

No, I used the commercial 45. The funny thing is that it isn't just an edit, it's an insert of different material, then it resumes and times out to the 45.
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 November 2009 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Maybe there are two 45 versions. What does the different material consist of?

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 November 2009 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Has anyone confirmed that the now lone 45 listing in the database is indeed the 45 version?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 November 2009 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Seconded on both Aaron and John's questions. I had the chance to hear the Motown YxY 1982 version and to my ears it sounds exactly the same as the Definitive Collection version, so if it's not the 45 version I too would like to know the differences.

Also, is the 45 in fact an edit, or could it be just a very early fade (a la "Superwoman")?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 November 2009 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Can someone please send me a dub of the 45? I'll be happy to do an A/B and answer all of the above questions.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 November 2009 at 11:45pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Abagon was kind enough to send a dub of his US 45, and just as Robert stated above, the Definitive Collection version does not match up. The edits are in the wrong place.

The US 45 version can be edited from the LP version. (Using the non-remastered Original Musiquarium and trimming the tail end of the previous track first, the edits remove the section from 3:25.972 to 6:06.976. Then, with what remains, cut 4:21.818 to 4:38.786. Then, with remaining audio, cut 4:30.291 to 4:38.766. Finally, cut from 4:49.357 to 5:06.298. The song does a 4 second fade to end at 5:01 and some change.

Thanks for this great catch, Robert!

Doug, to verify that the Motown Year By Year is also wrong, here is where a couple differences occur:

- 45 at 3:25, Stevie sings "your love, love, love, love, love..."
- Definitive Collection at 3:25, Stevie sings "your looooooooooooove"

- 45 at 4:22, Stevie sings "uuuuhhhh! yes, I got some..."
- Definitive at 4:22, there is no "uuuuhhhh!"

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2009 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I've just unraveled the mystery.

There are two Definitive Collection CDs--one is a US pressing (a single CD), one is an import (a double CD). I happen to have both--the single version of "As" is on the import. A while back, I had uploaded "As" into my iPod and iTunes and went ahead and uploaded "Do I Do" as well from the import version, having no knowledge that the version of "Do I Do" on the import is not the same as the one on the US version. So when I heard the Motown YxY 1982 version, I was comparing it to the import Definitve version. To my ears, those are identical. However, as Aaron and Robert correctly point out, the version on the US Definitive CD does not match up (for the reasons Aaron described above).

So I think it's safe to say that the Motown YxY 1982 CD has the correct 45 version.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 November 2009 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks, Doug! It's also good to know that the import version of Definitive is correct.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version