Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: John Waite - Missing You Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 December 2006 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

(I apologize if this has already been covered on the database.)

My older version of Pat's book (1955-1996) lists 14 discs as having the "LP length" of John Waite's "Missing You" at around 4:26, and just one as having a "45 length" around 4:00.

Actually, the 45 is a different mix from the album, and says "Mixed and edited by John Luongo" on the 45 label and picture sleeve. The easiest way to tell the difference is that the LP version has backup singers singing "missing you" during the intro, and the 45 version doesn't. The 45 is also slower (about 103 BPM) than the LP (about 104 BPM).

All the 4:00-ish tracks should be "45 version", and all the 4:26-ish tracks should be "LP version".

I seem to also remember another mix, with an obnoxious "knock knock" percussion sound all the way through. Anyone know where that version came from?

Also, for the record, the LP version on Time-Life's "Body Talk - On My Mind" CD has a bad edit and is missing part of the first drum beat of the song.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 21 December 2006 at 8:05pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 December 2006 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I believe this was brought up a while ago, but you've provided some good additional info. Thanks! Not sure about the alternate version you reference. I've only heard the LP and 45 versions on this one. Great song, BTW...
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2006 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

the "knock knock' version of which you speak is the 12" remix, which runs 6:59 on my promo 12" and is listed as also being mixed by John Luongo (oddly, it doesn't say RE-mixed).
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 December 2006 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I just listened to the Time-Life "Body Talk - On My Mind" cd and the first drum beat seems to be complete so perhaps there are two pressings of this cd. There are a lot of matrix type numbers stamped onto the cd but here are all of them that appear on my copy:

IFPI L043
1-1-2 stamped backward
724381917428D2
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 December 2006 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Pat - It's fairly subtle, and I only noticed because I was comparing different versions from different CDs in a multi-track audio editing program. It's easier to see than to hear.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 August 2012 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

...five and a half years later...

I compared the 24 (!) different CDs I have that feature "Missing You". Didn't learn much, really.

The LP mix/length are around 4:26.

My preferred source for the LP mix/length is Sandstone's Rock The First Vol. 5 (1992). There are two discs from Cema that use the same analog transfer: Mellow Gold (1991; my guess is that Rock The First and this disc both used the same analog transfer as some other CD unknown to me) and Cool Rock (1995; digitally identical to Rock The First).

I didn't like the sound of the LP version on the discs from Priority (too loud and missing a little bit of the opening drumbeat) or TIme-Life (added compression).

The version on Realm's Gold And Platinum Vol. 2 (1986) is the LP version faded about 30 seconds early. Avoid.

The version on Chrysalis's Essential John Waite 1976-1986 is labelled 4:45, but actually runs a second or two shorter than most of the other LP versions on CD. Avoid.

The 45 mix/length is about 4:00.

My preferred source for the 45 mix/length is Rhino's 7-CD Like Omigod (2002), which is a little loud but uses excellent source tapes and has a nice, open-sounding EQ. Most of the other 45 versions on CD seeme to use higher-generation source tapes, including Totally '80s (1993). Too bad this track never turned up on one of Rhino's Billboard discs - seems like this would have been a prime choice for that series.

And finally, it appears that the UK 45 is the same mix as the US 45, but faded WAY early, running about 3:30. (Can anyone verify?) I say this only because I have it on five different European compilations, all with the same early fade. The best-sounding of the bunch that I have is EMI/Virgin/PolyGram's 2-CD Now 1984 (1993), which has its fade in the same place as the others (i.e., it's not a hastened fade on this particular disc.)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version