Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Toy Soldiers - Martika Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 May 2008 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as columbia 68747 states a run time on the label of 4:52 but actually runs 4:51...the 45 wasn't released with a picture sleeve beacuse the record copies began faded out their issuance of picture sleeve by 1989, but the commercial cassingle does have a nice picture on the front of her.....maybe this was the picture sleeve issued overseas if it had one.....i found the true 45 version on the import 3" cd single scanned below...the 3" cd single has a green and orange sticker on the front which was from the record company i bought it from years ago...

MCT1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote MCT1

edtop40 wrote:
...the 45 wasn't released with a picture sleeve because the record copies began fading out their issuance of picture sleeve by 1989...

The CBS family of labels completely stopped issuing picture sleeves in the U.S. around the beginning of 1989, probably just after the new year. Around this time, the first digit of the catalog numbers on CBS U.S. singles changed from a "0" to a "6". That seems to have happened right about the first of the year, and I've seen picture sleeves for only a few U.S. CBS 45s with catalog numbers starting with the "6". "More Than You Know" was the only Martika single to be released before that point, and thus was, AFAIK, the only Martika 45 ever issued with a picture sleeve in the U.S.

CBS was the first of the U.S. major labels to completely dump picture sleeves. All of the other majors kept making them until at least mid-1989, with MCA and Capitol/EMI the next two to bail. The others continued into late 1989 or even on a limited basis into early 1990.

CBS' discontinuance of picture sleeves came about six months after CBS Records had been sold to Sony, though the name of the company hadn't yet been officially changed to Sony Music. I'm not sure whether the change in ownership played any role in the decision to drop them. IIRC, one of the Canadian regulars here (torcan) once told me on another forum that CBS kept making picture sleeves in Canada for quite some time after they had dropped them in the U.S., so it may have had nothing to do with the Sony takeover at all.     
Back to Top View MCT1's Profile Search for other posts by MCT1

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Excellent info from both of you. Always appreciated/enjoyed! :)
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

boynamedfoo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 September 2016 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote boynamedfoo

Has anyone bought the version that claims to be the (Single
Mix) off of Itunes "21 Totally 80s Hits" by Sony. This
version seems to be a bit rare short of imports and I was
wondering before I got it? Thanks if you know.
Back to Top View boynamedfoo's Profile Search for other posts by boynamedfoo

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 September 2016 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

If that's the compilation that came out 1 1/2 years ago, or so, I was told by Sony it was the full 4:52 single remix.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 August 2020 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Brian W. wrote:
My original UK CD single (commercial) for Toy Soldiers contains a version called "Edit" version and runs 4:18, though the label sleeve claims 4:15.

1. Toy Soldiers (edit) (actual 4:18)
2. It's Not What You're Doing (actual 4:11)
3. Exchange of Hearts (actual 4:19)

It says Toy Soldiers is a "special version" from the LP "Martika" (all CBS singles say that, if there's anything different about the song at all), but it says Toy Soldiers is mixed by Humberto Gatica, and mixed by Keith Cohen, from the LP "Martika." So I don't know if Toy Soldiers is a remix or not. Anyone got her album to see who mixed the LP version?

I would be quite interested Brian W to know if the 4:15 is an early fade or removes parts of the 4:52 45 version. I am also looking for this edit as part of my 1989 Hot 100 assembly...

Edited by PopArchivist on 16 August 2020 at 9:54pm

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 August 2020 at 5:54am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

The version I have on Toy Soldiers - The Best Of Martika runs 4:18 and it appears to be an early fade of the album version. (I assume this is the same as the UK Single Version). It fades out while Martika is still singing whereas the Album Version fades out with just instrumentation. I didn't notice if it was the same mix as the slightly remixed US 45, and there are no remix credits given in the liner notes of the CD (only songwriters for each song are listed).

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 December 2022 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

EdisonLite wrote:
OK, I just got the scoop from my friend who produced and co-wrote this song. Humberto G. did the single mix, which DOES include the acapella intro. It has the same instruments as the album version (no new sounds were added), but just mixed better and more clearly. This mix was available on the 45, cassette single, and the promo CD single. It is the same length as the album version.

Radio stations were shortening the song because it was rather long, so apparently, there was an edit provided to radio, but my friend knew nothing about it until I showed him the Rhino CD a few years ago. It was not even on the promo CD single, which only had one mix, which was full-length. My friend was at the studio with Humberto and he knows there was no other edits/mixes done. So my guess is the record company just did some quick edit to supply to radio stations requesting a shorter version, and for some reason, that is the version that ended up on the Rhino "Billboard 1989" CD. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't really call it the radio version, because it was not the version played on most radio stations and was not used in the video. It's almost like an alternate version, and it just happened to show up on the Rhino CD.

Sad because the Rhino Billboard series was pretty accurate until this volume!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version