Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Method Man & Mary J. Blige - All I Need Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 December 2006 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

With the new Mary J. Blige Reflections CD recently brought up, I thought it would be appropriate to mention the various versions of Method Man feat. Mary J. Blige "I'll Be There For You / You're All I Need To Get By," which is the last track on the CD.

In the US, the CD-maxi single contained UNCENSORED versions for both the "Puff Daddy Mix" (track 1) and the "Razor Sharp Mix" (track 3). I also have a promo CD single (which does not have a catalog number anywhere on the disc) that contains the CENSORED versions for both of these mixes, on tracks 1 & 2 respectively. Actually, track 1 is called the "Puff Daddy Radio Mix" and track 2 is called the "Razor Sharp Radio Mix."

The new MJB CD Reflections contains the "Razor Sharp Radio Mix," which is censored. Also, the CDs in the database that currently list "edit of Puff Daddy Mix" technically contain the "Puff Daddy Radio Mix," which is not only censored, but also is shorter in length.

(By the way, the third track on the promo CD is the "LP Radio Mix," which is the mix from Tical.)

Now, I also noticed that Pat states "this is the hit charting version" for the "Razor Sharp Mix." While the music video does contain the "Razor Sharp Mix," I have always considered the "Puff Daddy Mix" the hit version, because it's the lead track on the CD-maxi and the promo CD. If the song is ever on the radio, I always hear the "Puff Daddy Radio Mix" being played. Is there another reason for Pat's notation on this one?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 December 2006 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

aaronk wrote:
In the US, the CD-maxi single contained UNCENSORED versions for both the "Puff Daddy Mix" (track 1) and the "Razor Sharp Mix" (track 3). I also have a promo CD single (which does not have a catalog number anywhere on the disc) that contains the CENSORED versions for both of these mixes, on tracks 1 & 2 respectively. Actually, track 1 is called the "Puff Daddy Radio Mix" and track 2 is called the "Razor Sharp Radio Mix."

I remember getting a CD single, sent from Def Jam when this was new. The disc had the full artwork, so I believe it was the commercial maxi-single, though I might be mistaken. Strangely, the Puff Daddy mix had Meth's rap censored, yet the Notorious BIG samples ("f'ing die together") were left uncensored. Is this the same as your version?

Eric
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 December 2006 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the reason, i believe, he states it that way is because the cassingle contains, as the A-side, the "razor sharp mix" which states a run time of 3:53 on the cassingles' sleeve but truely runs 3:45 as is identical to the first track on the uk cd sgl issued as defcd11/579831-2.....the promo cd single DOES NOT contain the cassingle version.....the promo cd single issued WITHOUT a catalog number contains the below tracks

1-puff daddy radio mix (3:57/actual 4:02)
2-razor sharp radio mix (3:42/actual 3:44)
3-lp radio mix (3:16/actual 3:19)

hope this helps out

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 December 2006 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

To date, all CD appearances of the "Puff Daddy Radio Mix" run 3:56. If the actual promo CD single run time is 4:02, as Ed reports, then does this mean all CD appearances of the "Puff Daddy Radio mix" are faded early?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 19 December 2006 at 6:52pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 December 2006 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

After just listening to the 2 cd's that contain the "razor sharp mix" I hear the F word at :56 on both cd's. The cd jacket for the new Mary J. Blige "Reflections" cd does not contain the parental advisory sticker but I am calling this verion "uncensored". Aaron, you say your promo cd single features the censored version of the "razor sharp mix" so the question to you is does it contain the F word at :56? I also hear the F word at :53 of the "Puff Daddy radio mix" on the 2 cd's that contain that edit -- is that word on your "censored" dj cd single?

Edited by Pat Downey on 19 December 2006 at 7:04pm
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 1:10am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat Downey wrote:
After just listening to the 2 cd's that contain the "razor sharp mix" I hear the F word at :56 on both cd's.

Pat, I think you're misunderstanding the lyrics. At (0:56) on the Reflections CD, the lyrics are:

"That's why I'm wit' ya to this day, boo, no frontin'"

Those are the same lyrics you reference at (0:53) on the "Puff Daddy Radio Mix."

The way you can tell the difference between the censored and uncensored versions of the "Razor Sharp Mix" is:

- at (1:05), there's a quick sound effect of a woman moaning over the "p" word ("never ever give my p---y away")
- immediately following at (1:10) the word "ass" is blanked out
- there are a few other words that are also blanked out in the censored version

There are also several words blanked out on the "Puff Daddy Radio Mix," except there is not the moaning sound effect. In fact, Method Man's vocals are completely re-recorded on this version (both censored and uncensored), and he changes the line to "never ever give my booty away." Also, on the censored version, the sample of Notorious BIG has the "f" word blanked out on the chorus ("I swear to God I hope we ....... die together"). The "f" word is left in tact on the uncensored version; however, the alternate lyrics on the verses still remain (alternate lyrics meaning different from the "Razor Sharp Mix"). Eric, that probably helps explain your question.

Ed --- Does the UK CD single you have match the US CD single? Is the cassingle uncensored? I have a UK CD single, but the catalog number ends in "3" instead of "1" and it has the "Razor Sharp Mix" as track 5. This mix is also uncensored on that UK single.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

guys...i will send a copy of the cassingle version tonight for your review....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just reviewed the cassingle version, thanks to Ed. The Razor Sharp Mix on the cassingle is, without question, uncensored. The version on the promo CD and the Mary J. Blige compilation is definitely censored.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

So Aaron for purposes of determining the definitive hit version on the radio, which one is it? The Razor Sharp Radio Mix?
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

No CHR/top 40 stations in my area played it, but MTV played the Puff Daddy Radio Mix, as did Rhythmic leaning top 40 stations I heard it on.

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

WWKX Providence and WJMN Boston always played the Puff Daddy Radio Mix. In 1995 CHR was split into the middle between pop and rhythmic. My heritage station WPRO FM Providence didn't even
play it at all.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

My copy of the Puff Daddy Radio Mix runs 3:52. Does the
3:56 entry in the database fade out later or does it run
slower?

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I took a couple trips to Boston in the late 90s and listened to Jammin'.
They were still spinning the PD Radio Mix in '99 and '00.

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

For the first two weeks of its chart run on the Hot 100, the producer was shown as "Prince Rakeem". One of the songwriters was listed as "R. Diggs". On the unnumbered promo CD mentioned by both Aaron and Ed, the producer of both the "Razor Sharp Radio Mix" and the "LP Radio Mix" is given as "The Rza". "Prince Rakeem", "R. Diggs", and "The Rza" are all the same person.

Starting with the third week of its chart run and for the remainder of its 20-week stay on the Hot 100, the producer credit was listed as "Prince Rakeem, S. Combs". This describes only the "Puff Daddy" mixes. Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs had nothing to do with any of the "Razor Sharp" or "LP" versions/mixes.

Although this song reached number 3 on the Hot 100, it was never a major pop radio hit, only reaching number 33 in Top 40 airplay.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version