Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Piano Man" 45 version makes CD debut Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 April 2005 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Thanks for the info! Glad to finally know what's what with this.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 April 2005 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

This comment got me curious:

<(Though from the biographical write-up in the booklet, the single came before the "eventual album of the same title," so maybe the single IS the original mix.>

I looked into this. The album debuted in Billboard 1/5/74 and "Piano Man" (the single) debuted 7 weeks later. I don't think the single mix necessarily came first. The quote in the liner notes of the "Very Best" CD is misleading -- it says, "The song stemmed from an eventual multi-selling album of the same name." I took this to mean that the album eventually went platinum (presumably years later after "The Stranger" was huge), rather than that the album was eventually released after the single. Maybe both versions were mixed around the same time -- though why the arguably better single mix wasn't also used to mix the long version, I don't know!
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2005 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

anyone know if there's any import that has the 45 remix of "Keeping the Faith?" It's an entirely different version than the LP mix, and I'd love to have it on CD.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2005 at 2:09am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

budaniel wrote:
anyone know if there's any import that has the 45 remix of "Keeping the Faith?" It's an entirely different version than the LP mix, and I'd love to have it on CD.

No, it's never been on CD.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 May 2005 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Correction, "Keeping The Faith" (Remix) has shown up on a TM Century Gold Disc, but it's a transfer from a vinyl 45. It sounds very good, with surface noise and clicks removed. There is one strange error on their disc. After the second chorus, there is one extra measure of music, and I'm not sure where it came from.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 May 2005 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Maybe it's the extended version?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 May 2005 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I doubt they made an extended version that's only three seconds longer than the 45 version. Everything else matches the 45 exactly.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2005 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

Thanks for the info aaronk. Can you clarify what disc you're speaking of? I'm not familiar with it. Is it a compilation? a billy joel collection? an import? Thanks.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 May 2005 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

They are compilation discs produced and licensed exclusively for radio airplay. You cannot buy them in stores.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 June 2005 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Does anyone own the DVD of Billy Joel's "Greatest Hits Vol. 3"? "Keeping The Faith" is on there, but I'm not sure if they used the 45 version for the video or not. Also, I wonder if the sound quality is good enough to do a transfer to CD.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 June 2005 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I don't have the DVD, but there is a different laserdisc that has the video, and I do seem to recall that it used the remix. I have thought of that before, but haven't gotten around to tracking one down. Of course, there's no guarantee that there isn't talking over portions of the song, etc., that would ruin it.

The laserdisc is where I got my Madonna "Lucky Star" single edit, though it is a bit flat, and hissy on the fadeout.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 June 2005 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Brian - Why not just re-edit the LP version of "Lucky Star" to match the 45?

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 June 2005 at 2:04am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Well, I've tried, and for some reason I can't get the two edit points sounding EXACTLY like they sound on the 45.

The edits at the beginning, piece of cake, because they're flawless edits on the original. But the one in the middle and then towards the end, when I A/B them with the 45, just don't sound exactly the same to me. I spent quite some time on the final edit in the song in particular, but I just could not get the edit point to sound identical to the 45 edit. It's really hard to duplicate a bad edit.

I suppose I should try visually A/B-ing the wave forms, that might help.

Edited by Brian W. on 13 June 2005 at 2:05am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 June 2005 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Were those the edits right before "You may be my lucky star, but I'm the luckiest by far"? I didn't have to edit this one myself, because it was on a TM disc from CD source, but I could tell there were edits there.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 June 2005 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I rented the Billy Joel DVD with the "Keeping The Faith" video. They used the LP version on the video, and besides, it's quite hissy.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 October 2005 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

The 12" Remix of "Keeping the Faith" will be included on the upcoming Billy Joel box set "My Lives," to be released November 22nd. Whether it is the same as the 45 version or if you could edit it down to the 45 version, I don't know.

Many rarities on the set, including every non-LP B-side, but sadly, no full-length 45 version of "Sometimes a Fantasy" on the set...

http://www.billyjoel.com/pressrelease_mylives.html

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 November 2005 at 12:30am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Sweet! Let's cross our fingers on "Keeping The Faith."

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 November 2005 at 1:25am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I've done some extensive searching for a 12" single of "Keeping The Faith," and I can only locate a promo 12" that has the 45 version (aka "Special Mix") on both sides. I don't think a commercial 12" was ever released for this song. At least, it gives me more hope that we will finally have the 45 version of this one on CD---one I've been searching for a CD copy of for a long time! :)

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 November 2005 at 2:15am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Oh, that would so great. I've got my fingers crossed too!

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 November 2005 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hello "aaronk"

I own the promo 12" of "Keeping The Faith" [AS 1982].

Despite the fact that is LISTED as 'Time 4:44' & "(Special Mix)" JUST LIKE THE 45 (which I also own), it is not the same as the 45 version!!

Admittedly it is very similar, but there are some key differences including: 1) Percussion intro 2) No bass guitar lick intro 3) Percussion based, instrument drop-out final verse 4)Time-delay echo on a "Yeh, Yeh, Yeh" 5) A tad more punchy kick-drum mix.

Talk about confounding!

Both mixes are excellent, overall.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version