Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "My Sweet Lady" - John Denver Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
maciav
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 November 2006 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote maciav

Can somebody tell me which version of "My Sweet Lady" is on John Denver's box set "Country Roads Collection"? It is not listed in the database.
Thank you.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 November 2006 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Mike, it is the (4:24) version which is not the hit version.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

maciav
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 November 2006 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote maciav

Thanks Pat! I appreciate it!

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2008 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I only own a promo 45 for this. It has the same, listed & actual (3:01) length version on both its mono and stereo sides. I am assuming this is an "only on the promo 45, DJ short version", since my Whitburn Pop Annual states a run time of (4:47) for the commercial 45.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Jim, I also have a promo 45 on this song and the label states (4:47) and runs (4:46) on both sides. The 45 catalog number is 10911.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat, my promo 45's catalog # is also 10911, with the stereo side's deadwax info being "PB 10911 E 2S (STEREO)".
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 January 2008 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Nice work unearthing another DJ edit, Jim!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 January 2008 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Yes, Jim and Pat, thanks for the clarification between DJ edits. Always looking to add to my collection, I tracked down a 3:01 DJ 45 in the UK. A seller in Arizona also had one.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

For what it's worth, I've tried to digitally re-create the 3:01 DJ edit of John Denver's "My Sweet Lady" from CD, but am finding it cannot be done. I first attempted to use the "hit version" appearing on Denver's Very Best of compilation (Heartland 3146) as my CD source, but curiously it is a different recording than the radio edit (the latter contains no live audience applause either, unlike the former). I then also compared the DJ edit to the "non-hit" original version that's more commonly found on CD and they too are different recordings. So does anyone know where the 3:01 version of "My Sweet Lady" on the promo 45 originated from?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2009 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Here's an interesting situation... John recently e-mailed me his digital re-creation of the 3:01 radio edit of "Sweet Lady". He informs me he downloaded the track from Denver's "Essential" CD on Napster and was able to edit it to match the DJ 45.

I have what the database refers to as the "original version" of the song on The John Denver Collection (RCA 67993) and Definitive All-Time Greatest Hits (RCA/BMG 60764) CDs. I also have what is presumed to be the "hit" version running 4:46 on "Very Best of" (Heartland 3146). None of these discs contain the same recording as the one on the 3:01 DJ edit. So I guess this must mean that the 4:47 version on the "Essentials" CD (RCA/Legacy 703153) consists of yet another different recording of "Sweet Lady" (this being the one the short DJ 45 edit is based on)?

I don't have the Essentials CD so, Pat, could you please verify if this disc features a different recording than the other CDs in the database?

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2009 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Is it possible that the 4:47 version from The Essential John Denver is what's on Pat's DJ 45?

If I was able to recreate and match the 3:01 DJ edit that was on my short promo 45 and also, I presume, Jim's short promo 45 from the Essential track, then it may be the commercial/long DJ 45 version.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 January 2009 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Here is the information I can add regarding My Sweet Lady -- My dj 45 which runs (4:47) is identical to the version found on the Essential cd which is also identical to the version found on John Denver's "Greatest Hits Volume 2".

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2009 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks for looking into this, Pat. I still have two questions:

1) Is the long DJ 45 identical to the commercial 45?
2) If not, then what version is on the Very Best of (Heartland 3146) CD?

Once we have answers to these questions, I think we may need to add database comments for each of the song's CD appearances running 4:46-4:48 since they do not all consist of the same version.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2009 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

The only copy of this I have is on the B side of "Thank God I'm A Country Boy", it's listed as 4:43.

I'm not familiar with the later release of this song to know if it's the same recording or not.

This is not the first time RCA re-issued a former Denver B side. "Sunshine On My Shoulders" was originally the B side of "I'd Rather Be A Cowboy" (the 1974 re-release was an edit, the original was the album version).
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2011 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

Todd Ireland wrote:
...what version is on the Very Best of (Heartland 3146) CD?

Once we have answers to these questions, I think we may need to add database comments for each of the song's CD appearances running 4:46-4:48 since they do not all consist of the same version.

The version on the Very Best of Heartland CD is the live version from the An Evening With John Denver album. The database does not currently indicate this.

It's taken a long time, but I think I've finally figured this one out:

The original version appeared on the Poems, Prayers & Promises album in 1971, but was not issued as a single.

In 1975, a live version appeared on the An Evening With John Denver album. This version was also issued as the B-side of "Thank God I'm A Country Boy". This is the version on the Heartland Very Best Of CD

A brand new studio version appeared on the Greatest Hits, Volume 2 album in 1977. This version was released as a single and is the hit version.

What confused me for a long time is that I own a number of Joel Whitburn publications that state that the 1977 hit version and the B-side of "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" are the same, which is incorrect.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 May 2013 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I want to make the dj single edit of "My Sweet Lady" from the CD. Can anyone tell me where the edit points are, or send a copy of the edit? And I'm a bit confused -the dj edit is of the studio version, right?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 December 2019 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Gordon, were you ever able to figure out the short promo
edit? I can send you instructions if you'd like.

Erie, PA

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 January 2023 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

I too would be interested in the edit points as I've just made another attempt to create the 3:01 DJ edit and I'm getting stuck at the edit at 3:47. I can't find it anywhere. The lyric is "...Lady are you crying do the tears belong to me..." but I can't find that anywhere. I'm using an m4a file with a picture of the 3:01 edit. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the 3:01 edit?
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version