Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Lobo "I’d Love You to Want Me" run time? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 November 2006 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Run times for Lobo's "I'd Love You to Want Me" vary in the database from 3:55 to 4:05, but no notation is given as to the actual 45 length. Do some versions run faster, fade earlier, what? And anyone know what is the actual 45 run time?
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2006 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Brian: My 45 has a listed time of (3:59), but an actual time of (4:04). The start-to-finish fade progression for this is longer than the "standard", if there is such a thing - the last 5-7 seconds are barely audible at all on the 45, but they ARE there. Perhaps this could be the reason for the various timing inconsistencies.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2006 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Thanks, Jim.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 September 2019 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The stock 45 is mono and is a simple fold-down of the stereo version. I used the copy from Have A Nice Day Vol. 9, and I had to slow it down by 0.75% to match the pitch of the 45.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

It's clear that there are some speed and length issues with many of the versions on CD. I'll try to sort them out.

The oldest CD I have with "I'd Love You To Want Me" is Warner Special Products' 3-CD Secret Love. It runs about 0.4% slower than the 45 (using Aaron's 0.75% value in the previous post). Sound quality is pretty good - nice EQ, nice dynamic range, no evidence of noise reduction (the high end doesn't disappear on the fade), and nice pleasing hiss on the fade. I hear a midrange tape hiss (not the usual high-frequency hiss), so I think this version may not use the lowest-generation source tape.

The next mastering is Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 9 (1990). Here, it runs 0.75% faster than the 45. (Thanks, Aaron.) The sound is improved over Secret Love, having a nice EQ, nice dynamic range, and no evidence of noise reduction, but with a seemingly lower-generation source tape. The following CD is digitally identical to Have A Nice Day Vol. 9:
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Body Talk Vol. 14 Love And Tenderness (1997)
Time-Life's Superhits Vol. 11 1972 (1991) uses the same analog transfer as Have A Nice Day Vol. 9, but swaps the left and right channels, and shortens the fade. Avoid, if possible. The following CDs all base their masterings on Superhits Vol. 11 1972, and all have the same left/right reversal and early fade:
  • Time-Life's AM Gold Vol. 7 1972 (1991) - this whole CD is just a repackaged version of Superhits
  • Time-Life's AM Gold Vol. 7 1972 RE-1 reissue (1991)
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Night Songs (1994)
  • JCI's Only Love 1970-1974 (1995)
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 9 Early '70s (2000) - digitally identical
  • Time-Life's Ultimate Love Songs Collection Love Is You (2004) - digitally exactly 0.58 dB quieter
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Seventies Music Explosion Vol. 1 Sunshine (2005) - digitally exactly 0.4 dB louder
There's a different analog transfer on Rhino's Best Of (1993). Here, it runs about 0.1% or 0.2% faster than the 45 (again, using Aaron's 0.75% value). In addition to largely fixing the speed errors of Have A Nice Day Vol. 9, this mastering reduces some of the high-frequency tape hiss that's present on Have A Nice Day Vol. 9, and shortens the very end of the fade. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Touched By Love (1997)
  • Simitar's Love Rocks: Love Time (1998)
My preference is Have A Nice Day Vol. 9, because the tail of the fade extends farther than Best Of, and I like the high-frequency tape hiss. It does run 0.75% too fast, but I can live with that. (I start to notice errors of about 1%. For reference, New York City radio station WPLJ used to play their music 2% too fast; it makes the songs sound sluggish when you hear them on competing radio stations.)

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks for sorting them all out, Ron!

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version