Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: It’s Not Right But It’s OK by Whitney Hou Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 March 2005 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

A new cd release titled Fired Up! 2 on the Razor & Tie label includes a version of It's Not Right, But It's Okay by Whitney Houston which runs 4:15 and the liner notes state that this is the "Thunderpuss radio mix". Is this the 45 version?

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 March 2005 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I don't think there was a vinyl 45 for this, but I'm fairly sure there was a cassette single. There were two US CD singles: one standard in a card sleeve and one maxi single. The standard contained:

1. Original Version 4:22 [LP version???]
2. Rodney Jerkins Smooth Mix 4:25
3. Thunderpuss Mix 4:15

I'm trying to find out if the cassette single was two tracks or three.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2005 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I have the maxi-CD single configuration which contains seven remixes for "It's Not Right but It's Okay" and a club remix for "I Will Always Love You". Here is the track listing and actual run times:

It's Not Right but It's Okay
1) Rodney Jerkins Smooth Mix - 4:25
2) Rodney Jerkins Smooth Mix (Instrumental) - 4:40
3) Thunderpuss Radio Mix - 4:15
4) Club 69 Radio Mix - 4:18
5) Thunderpuss Club Mix - 9:13
6) Club 69 Future Club Mix - 8:00
7) Club 69 Future Dub - 7:47

I Will Always Love You
8) Hex Hector Club Mix - 9:53

As you can see, the "Thunderpuss Radio Mix" appears as Track 3 and runs 4:15. There are at least a dozen different mixes of this song in existence, so not everyone may agree on what should be considered the official single version (I would recommend going with whatever is the leadoff track on the commercial CD-5 single, which Brian cited in his post, and the cassette single). I can tell you though that the "Thunderpuss Radio Mix" is what I heard most often on Top 40 radio in my area. I also have this mix on my Promo Only: Mainstream Radio subscription CD series, so I think this is the version that Arista pushed most at Top 40 stations.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 March 2005 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Brian, are you telling us that the cd single states LP version (the original version) runs 4:22? This as we know is not true so could this be the 45 version that runs 4:22?

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2005 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Yes, the leadoff track on the standard US CD single runs 4:22 (though the sleeve claims 4:15 -- incorrect). They call it "Original Version," and there's nothing that says it's remixed, so I assume it's the same mix as the LP version. Yeah, I would consider that the single version.

I can try sending you a very low-quality MP3 to check it, if you want. (Or anything else, for that matter. But I only have dial-up -- high quality MP3s don't go through very well.)

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2005 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

BTW, it just grazed the top 40 at #41, but Whitney's first single, her duet with Teddy Pendergrass, "Hold Me," has finally appeared on CD in its 45 version. It's on the Rhino Teddy Pendergrass CD "Bedroom Classics Vol. 1," running 5:19. (Whitburn and the label on the 45 claim 4:53, but that's wrong, I A/B'd them.) It's Rhino R2 73995, UPC 081227399528.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Brian, interesting, I didn't know of its existence. What is the running time of the 45 version? Is it just a fade at the end or a "true" edit?
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

No, it's just a fade at the end.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Bummer, thanks.
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Another old Whitney thread, lol.

"It's Not Right But It's Okay"'s standard US single has the lead track Original Version (4:25, artwork states 4:15), and is actually an early fade of the LP Version (which runs 4:52). This was also released on cassette single and I consider it to be the official single version.

This same fade appears on the promo CD single and some imports as "Radio Edit". I believe this is also the version that was used for the video.
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Another name for the "Radio Edit" is "Original Radio Mix".
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 September 2018 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

The Thunderpuss Radio Mix Edit got a lot of airplay here in New York during the late 90's. I can honestly say that while the 4:22 album edit is the single, I have noted the radio mix to be the one that was the true hit. It is not as slow, faster pace while keeping the feel of the original.

No different than Enrique Iglesias and his Hero Metro Mix or Can't Fight The Moonlight Graham Stack Remix. During that time period from 1999-2002 radio stations here in NY loved to play those remixes. Same situation with Stranger In My House by Tamia. The single version was never played, only the Thunderpuss Remix Edit. Once I heard the single versions I was glad they played the remixes!

Edited by PopArchivist on 24 September 2018 at 6:53pm
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

Kiefer2
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 September 2018 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Kiefer2

It's funny-I remember Howard Stern pitching a fit on his radio show at the time because he liked the Thunderpuss version of the song (the version being played in NY). So whoever would be in charge of this kind of thing brought him the album to play the track and , of course, it was the standard, radically different album version. Hilarity ensued as he went off and everyone else razzed him for liking a Whitney Houston/Dance track in the first place.
Back to Top View Kiefer2's Profile Search for other posts by Kiefer2

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 September 2018 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

If anyone would like me to post the details on the promo CDs I have, let me know. I have three different promos: ASCD-3641, ASCD-3651 & ASCD-3701.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version