Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Aerosmith dj edits Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 November 2006 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I just reviewed the new Aresomith cd "Devil's Got A New Disguise - The Very Best Of" and found some surprises -- a (4:19) version of "Livin' On The Edge" and a (4:26) version of "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing". Both of these must be dj edits that have not been mentioned on this chat board so does anyone have any information as to the origin of these particular edits?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 November 2006 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote Gary

Pat Downey wrote:
a (4:19) version of "Livin' On The Edge" and a (4:26) version of "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing".

Pat, I have a copy of "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" called the [Pop Radio Edit No Orchestra Intro] that times out at 4:25, so this may be it. They remove the instrumental at the beginning and begin with the vocal.

I've never seen at 4:19 version of "Livin' On The Edge". I only have the [CHR Mix-Edit #1/No Guitar Solo] that clocks in at 4:00, and the [CHR Mix-Edit #2] that clocks in at 4:55. Can you tell us what maybe missing?

Back to Top View Gary's Profile Search for other posts by Gary

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 November 2006 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Gary, there seem to be numerous edits of the LP version to get you the 4:19 version of Livin' On The Edge. The first is in the instrumental introduction as the vocals start at :05 on the (4:19) version and :11 on the LP version. The second edit occurs between the first and second verse such that the second verse begins at :40 on the (4:19) version and :56 on the LP version and the third edit occurs during the instrumental bridge where :15 is edited off for the (4:19) version. There are more but let's see if this helps out.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 November 2006 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote Gary

Pat Downey wrote:
Gary, there seem to be numerous edits of the LP version to get you the 4:19 version of Livin' On The Edge. The first is in the instrumental introduction as the vocals start at :05 on the (4:19) version and :11 on the LP version....

Without hearing this, this looks like an edit of the CHR Mix-Edit #2. I'll have to dig out my copy of this and the Lp version and compare.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Gary:

Am I correct that the Pop Radio Edit of "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" cannot be replicated simply by editing out the orchestra intro on the 45/LP version due to the fact that the orchestration bleeds into the opening verse ("I could stay awake just to hear you breathin'") on the 45/LP version? Meanwhile, other than the intro, are there any other mix differences between the two versions?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I have 2 different promo CD singles, and a commercial CD single for "Livin' On The Edge":

PRO-CD-4498
1-Closer To The Edge Edit (listed time 4:20; actual time 4:19)
2-Further From The Edge Edit(listed 5:05; actual 5:04)
3-LP Version (listed and actual 6:07)

PRO-CD-4515
1-(CHR Mix - Edit #1/No Guitar Solo)(listed 4:01; actual 4:00)
2-(CHR Mix - Edit #2)(listed 4:52; actual 4:51)

GEFDM-21821
1-LP Version (listed and actual 6:07)
2-Acoustic (listed and actual 5:41)
3-Demo (listed 5:05; actual 5:07)
4-Previously unreleased track "Don't Stop"
5-Previously unreleased track "Can't Stop Messin'"

I will now go pull my "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" promo CD singles, and report back with details shortly.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

If I were a betting man, I'd say the 4:19 version of "Livin' on the Edge" appearing on Aerosmith's Devil's Got a New Disguise - The Very Best of CD is the "Closer to the Edge" DJ edit found on Jim's promo CD single (PRO-CD-4498).

Thanks for that info, Jim!

Edited by Todd Ireland on 16 December 2006 at 12:31pm

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

You're welcome, Todd. Now, "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" as promised. THREE different 1-track promo CD singles:

CSK41241
1-Pop Mix (listed time 4:58; actual time 4:57)(this is the version we played)

CSK41242
1-Rock Mix (listed 4:58; actual 4:29)

CSK41306
1-Pop Radio Edit No Orchestra Intro (listed 4:28, actual 4:27)

Despite the :29 second CSK41242 listed timing error, which makes the last two CDs' timings very close to each other, they are still, in fact, different mixes.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I seem to remember that the Pop Mix is a slightly different mix than the LP version. I'm going from a very hazy memory here, but I think the strings were replaced in one of those versions by another instrument.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote Gary

Todd Ireland wrote:
Gary:

Am I correct that the Pop Radio Edit of "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" cannot be replicated simply by editing out the orchestra intro on the 45/LP version due to the fact that the orchestration bleeds into the opening verse ("I could stay awake just to hear you breathin'") on the 45/LP version? Meanwhile, other than the intro, are there any other mix differences between the two versions?

Yes you are correct, the orchestra intro blends into the vocals on the [Pop Mix]. On the [Pop Radio Edit No Orchestra Intro] the vocals start out cold with instruments beginning around :01. I did not notice any difference besides the opening section that the [Pop mix] is any different from the [Pop Radio Edit No Orchestra Intro].

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 December 2006 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote Gary

jimct wrote:
I have 2 different promo CD singles, and a commercial CD single for "Livin' On The Edge":

PRO-CD-4498
1-Closer To The Edge Edit (listed time 4:20; actual time 4:19)
2-Further From The Edge Edit(listed 5:05; actual 5:04)

Jim,
What is the difference between the Closer To The Edge and Further From The Edge musicwise?(i.e. more guitar or vocals up, etc?)

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 December 2006 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Gary: I am awful at determining such details. I only like to make statements that I am 100% certain of on this Board. So, instead, I will shoot both versions out to you, to assist you in your own research conclusions.

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 December 2006 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote Gary

Gary wrote:
Jim,
What is the difference between the Closer To The Edge and Further From The Edge musicwise?(i.e. more guitar or vocals up, etc?)

To answer my own question with the help of Jim, The Closer To The Edge has more guitars and "yelling" from Steven Tyler. The Further From The Edge edit is less guitars and less "yelling". It surprised me that the Closer to The Edge was shorter than the Further From The Edge as the less edgier would be more appealing to CHR/Pop. But maybe that's why they came up with mixes just for CHR.

Edited by Gary on 18 December 2006 at 7:09pm

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2021 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

OK, here's a stupid question for the class (as I go more vintage Aerosmith here).

Both the stock 45 and LP versions of "Sweet Emotion" have the word "ass" in the song. Was there a promo
version that didn't have the word? (Guessing its #36 chart peak at Billboard in 1975 might be related
to top-40 radio not wanting to play it unless the word was excised, although part of it is also that the 45 was
a really badly executed edit--the whole instrumental intro kinda makes the song [and makes a perfect deejay
talk-up], and they got rid of the whole thing.)

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version