Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Herb Alpert - Diamonds Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 October 2006 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote Gary

Does anyone know where the edit(s) are in Herb alpert's Diamonds for the 3:58 promo single that is listed in the database? The only promos I've seen for this is 4:53.

Thanks.
Back to Top View Gary's Profile Search for other posts by Gary

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 October 2006 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I believe there is another thread that talks about this version, which is not an edit of the LP version, but an edit of the "Cool Summer Mix."
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 November 2007 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Reviving this one, found "Diamonds" on what I presume is an import called Very Best Of. Run time is 3:53, which doesn't match the 3:58 in the database, but the collection also includes the 45 versions of "Rise" and "Rotation."

"Diamonds" sounds very different from the LP version. This would concur with Aaron's findings.

Edited by eriejwg on 21 November 2007 at 7:30am
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 November 2007 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

It does sound "busier", it was reworked by the same producers of the original version, Jam & Lewis. I have the "Cool Summer Mix Edit" on a UK 2 CD version of Janet Jackson's "Design of A Decade", and on the Herb Alpert Japan CD single which contains 8 mixes of the song, including that one. If anybody needs catalog numbers or further info, I'll check for you.

Edited by elcoleccionista on 21 November 2007 at 9:51am
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 November 2007 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Hang on to the Japanese CD single! Have seen it online for sale at 243.00 plus!!

I'm not sure now if the version on Very Best Of is a truncated fade, or an attempt to create the "cool summer edit."
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 November 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Ah, yes, that Japanese maxi single of Diamonds... I remember it well... the only time I've been flat-out, intentionally ripped off on Ebay.

The seller, a guy in New York, had only been on Ebay about four months, but had 30-40 perfect feedbacks. I paid $75 for that "Diamonds" CD. After about two weeks, it still hadn't come. He assured me he'd mailed it. Then... I noticed the negative feedbacks had started coming on his account... one, then two, three, four... all people saying, "I didn't get my merchandise. This guy is a con artist."

Then he abruptly shut down his account (so I couldn't even add to the negative feedback) and would not respond to my emails. It's my belief he never had the item in the first place and took the photograph from somewhere on the Net.

I did recover around $45 of my money from Ebay (minus the $25 they charge and the shipping), but ever since I've been wary of any seller who's only been on Ebay a short amount of time.

Edited by Brian W. on 21 November 2007 at 12:31pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 November 2007 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

eriejwg wrote:
I'm not sure now if the version on Very Best Of is a truncated fade, or an attempt to create the "cool summer edit."

I'll have to take back my earlier statement about the promo being an edit of the "Cool Summer Mix." Actually, it's not the same mix at all. I don't own that Japanese promo CD (or the US promo, which has the same 8 tracks), but the correct mix might be on there. The promo 45 simply lists "Diamonds," then in smaller print under the title "Radio Edit." The remix credits read "Remixed by Steve Hodge for Flyte Tyme Productions, Inc."

Originally, I thought this was the same as the "Cool Summer Mix Edit," but after a quick comparison, I realized that it's not. It looks like the same remix credits are on the 12" "Dance Mix" version, so perhaps the promo is an edit of that mix.

Edited by aaronk on 21 November 2007 at 1:09pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 November 2007 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote Gary

eriejwg wrote:
Reviving this one, found "Diamonds" on what I presume is an import called Very Best Of. Run time is 3:53, which doesn't match the 3:58 in the database, but the collection also includes the 45 versions of "Rise" and "Rotation."

"Diamonds" sounds very different from the LP version. This would concur with Aaron's findings.

I have this cd if I could be of any help here.
Back to Top View Gary's Profile Search for other posts by Gary

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 March 2010 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

The 3:53 version on the "Very Best Of" import IS the edit of the Cool Summer mix.

The album version (which apparently is what appeared in the commercial 45?) appears to be a different mix from the DJ short edit.

The video mix sounds different to my ears, but I'm hearing it on YouTube off a video tape recorded off MTV who knows how many years ago... so who knows what processing they may have added. It appears to run about 4:30. (The video is chopped, so this might be album length.)

Based on this entry in Discogs.com, it looks like the 45 MIGHT be the edit of the dance mix.

Unfortunately, this edit only appears on this British vinyl release from 1987. None of the other 12"s from that time have it.

IF the 45 can be edited from the dance mix, does anybody have the edit points?

If not, could somebody clarify if the DJ short edit has ever shown up on CD anywhere?

Wikipedia suggests the CD promos mentioned here contained the Cool Breeze mixes, not the short DJ edit.

I'm SO confused! :-(

Edited by NightAire on 26 March 2010 at 9:54pm

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 March 2010 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Gene, I've never owned any copies of the promo CD or Japanese CD, so I really can't say for sure if any of those mixes match the short US promo 45. All I can definitely say is the short US promo does not have the same mix as the UK Design of a Decade 2-CD set.

I've never tried to re-create that promo version; I simply dubbed it from a mint 45. You might be right that it's an edit of the "Dance Mix." I just don't have the "Dance Mix" on CD or vinyl to compare.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 March 2010 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Gene pointed me to a place on the 'net where I was able to listen to the "Dance Mix." Yes, the short US promo has a short version of this mix. On first listen, it appears that the short US promo cannot be edited from this mix, though, because of additional samples on the "Dance Mix" that are not present on the dj 45. I didn't actually try it or do any close comparisons, but I'm pretty familiar with the short dj 45 remix, and I don't think it can be done.

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2010 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote abagon

FYI.

I own the "Dance mix" on the 12" vinyl "Diamonds." A&M SP-12231 (U.S. pressing) 1987.

Side A Diamonds "Dance Mix" actual 6:44, listed 6:45
Side B 1.Diamonds "Instrumental" listed time 5:10 2.Diamonds "Beats Dubcappella" listed time 3:10

"Rise" on "The Very Best CD" released in Japan in 1993 is an "edit of the LP version." (NOT the 45 version.)
"Rotation" on the CD is the same as the U.S. commercial 45.

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 July 2014 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I finally obtained the US promo CD single for "Diamonds." For those interested in an abundance of remixes, here are the details:

CD 17476/DX 1792
1. Cool Summer Mix (6:18 listed & actual)
2. Cool Summer Dance Mix (5:53 listed & actual)
3. Cool Summer Instrumental (5:25 listed & actual)
4. Cool Summer Dub Version (4:21 listed & actual)
5. Cool Summer 7" Edit (3:52 listed; 3:51 actual)
6. Dance Mix (6:46 listed & actual)
7. Instrumental (5:13 listed; 5:12 actual)
8. Beats Dubcappella (3:12 listed & actual)

Ron S
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2019 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Ron S

So there is no such edit of the LP version?
Back to Top View Ron S's Profile Search for other posts by Ron S

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2019 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Not that I know of.
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

promojunkie
MusicFan
MusicFan