Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: billy vera "at this moment" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 October 2006 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat...

do any of the cds contain the correct 45 version WITHOUT the 0:05 spoken intro?....i edited the front 0:05 of spoken intro (which is not on the commercial 45) and faded the ending 0:03 to come up with the correct 45 version which runs 4:10, even though the 45's label states the run time as 4:15.....

Edited by edtop40 on 20 October 2006 at 8:33pm

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 October 2006 at 2:24am | IP Logged Quote Gary

What is the spoken intro? I don't think I've ever heard it(or remember it). What is said on it? I checked out my version on the Rhino set Omigod! and it doesn't have any spoken intro. It does time at 4:14.
Back to Top View Gary's Profile Search for other posts by Gary

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 October 2006 at 4:10am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my cd version starts off with billy saying "this one's called 'at this moment'"....then the audience howles then the piano starts......the 45 version starts cold with the piano and a guy howling in the background........the omigod box set starts cold??....

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 October 2006 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

The vinyl LP version contains the vocal introduction and the 45 (Rhino 74403) does not contain this introduction and yes as Ed points out the audience applause is :02 to :03 longer on the cd's on which this song appears. To get the appropriate 45 version you can use any of the cd's listed in the database that run (4:12 or 4:13) and simply fade the ending by a few seconds. If you want the LP version, use Eclipse 64620, K-Tel 898 or Razor & Tie 25069.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 October 2007 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I have a version from TM Century that runs 3:28 and starts with piano. Was there a DJ edit, or is this a TM Century edit? This seems to be the version I hear the most on the radio these days... Oh, and this is recorded live.

Edited by eriejwg on 03 October 2007 at 7:16pm
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 October 2007 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To eriejwg:

The 3:28 edit is the original 45 edit when it was released the first time in 1981.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2007 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Thanks, Andrew.

I saw that notation for the 1981 release in the database, but figured that was a studio version, perhaps.

TM Century must have had it in their library from that point in time. Like I said, the local stations these days play what apparently is the 1981 edit since they apparently have the GoldDisc library.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

MPH711
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2007 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote MPH711

I think most radio stations play the edit version because no one wants to hear the "drag-out" vocals near the end to the song. I like the edit version much better.
Back to Top View MPH711's Profile Search for other posts by MPH711

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2007 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

eriejwg wrote:
I saw that notation for the 1981 release in the database, but figured that was a studio version, perhaps.
John, "At This Moment" got brought back from the dead, 5+ years later, due to being repeatedly featured on the then-top-rated 80's TV show starring Michael J. Fox, "Family Ties." That's why the 1986/87 release was on Rhino, normally a re-issue label. The initial 1981 45 release was on a Japanese label that took a brief stab at a U.S. operation, Alfa. Vera's work had long been respected by many within the music business, and he had a loyal, long-standing fan base, established over many years (he'd had some chart successes, from as far back as the late 60's, on Atlantic, both as a solo artist and as half of a respected, controversial-for-its-time "interracial duet team" with Judy Clay.) Among these Billy Vera fans were the Rhino Records founders. They were very aware that his "Billy & The Beaters" live 1981 Alfa LP was already long out-of-print, and felt it would sell well as a catalog item. And with the CD format starting to take off around this time, Rhino licensed those 1981 Alfa masters, and included most of the tracks on that LP on Rhino's repackaged "By Request: Best Of Billy Vera & The Beaters" CD. And when the "Family Ties" thing happened, Rhino responded to it by putting the song out as a 45, giving the label their only "current" #1 hit. Arista noticed Rhino's success, and tried to duplicate this "from the vaults" success with the Monkees, as they owned the group's original Colgems master recordings. I believe it was MTV that was running the orignal show episodes, in honor of its 20th anniversary, which caused a renewed "Monkees buzz." Arista then issued the LP/CD, "Then & Now...The Best Of The Monkees", to capitalize on it. Also, Arista worked VERY hard to try to get Micky, Davy, Michael & Peter to reunite briefly, do a few new recordings for the new collection, with the intention of releasing at least one of them as a new single. But only Micky and Peter would agree. Despite this, on 1987's, "That Was Then, This Is Now", Arista still went ahead and initially listed the artist on this new 45 as "The Monkees". But when both Michael and Davy immediately objected to this, the 45 pressings had to be changed, and now stated the song's artist as "Micky Dolenz And Peter Tork (Of The Monkees)."

Edited by jimct on 04 October 2007 at 1:04pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2007 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Now that you bring it up Jim, I do remember that song being on Family Ties. Watched that show all the time.

And, I remember the 1986-1987 Monkees era as the station I worked then brought Davy, Peter and Mickey here to a small, 3000 seat theater.

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2007 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Yeah, but does anybody remember that the version used on 'Family Ties' was a STUDIO version??

Where was that released? And does anybody have a dub?

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2007 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Andy, a studio version of "At This Moment" can be found on a 2002 Varese CD, entitled "Billy Vera & The Beaters--At This Moment: A Retrospective". It is currently being offered on Amazon.com. Whether it is THE same studio version that was used on "Family Ties", that I do not know.

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2007 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

a sidenote on the Monkees part of Jim's post - the year was 1986 not 1987 - I remember buying all the Rhino re-issues of the original LPs that fall as well (including 1970's "Changes" - erk!).
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2007 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Thanks, Chuck - of course, you are correct about the year being 1986. The show began in Sept. 1966, so 1986 was the year for the "20th Anniversary Hoopla." I was obviously experiencing "end of a long post fatigue!" :)

vanmeter
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 October 2007 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote vanmeter

jimct wrote:
[QUOTE=eriejwg]But when both Michael and Davy immediately objected to this, the 45 pressings had to be changed, and now stated the song's artist as "Micky Dolenz And Peter Tork (Of The Monkees)."

I've always wondered about this, since I have a promo copy with a blank white label with a typed title/artist sticker stuck to it that has Dolenz and Tork listed. Shouldn't the promos all say "The Monkees"?
Back to Top View vanmeter's Profile Search for other posts by vanmeter

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 October 2007 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My apologies: the last thing I intended to do by bringing the Monkees up earlier was to "hijack" the "At This Moment" thread! Vanmeter, here's the story: A simply BRILLIANT ploy, pulled off by Arista CEO Clive Davis. He knew full well that Michael Nesmith would IMMEDIATELY sue Arista, if he'd used "The Monkees" name anywhere on the "That Was Then, This Is Now" 45. So he never did, but he DID skillfully manage to create his desired "public and radio confusion" here. The first promo 45 we got in to the station simply had a blank white label, with NO writing on EITHER side of it. This promo was put inside the same picture sleeve that they used for the commercial 45 (which was PLASTERED with a large "Monkees 20th Anniversary Reunion: A Brand New 1986 Recording" logo on one side, and a large picture of the new "Then & Now...Best Of The Monkees" LP cover photo (which featured head shots of all 4 Monkees, by the way) on the other side of the pic sleeve. THIS was the side of the pic sleeve, in the lower right corner, where Arista added ONE small, "cover-their-asses" touch to the sleeves they sent to radio: As Vanmeter states, they added a white sticker, which is the same size as the ones businesses have used for years to send magazines through the mail. On it, it said, in all-capital, typewritten letters, "The three new recordings on this album were performed by Mickey (sp) Dolenz and Peter Tork (Of The Monkees.)" But NOWHERE on this sleeve itself is this fact EVER mentioned. One thing, though, Vanmeter - Our "sticker" WASN'T stuck to the promo 45 label itself, it was affixed to the pic sleeve; you may wanna check yours again. Most of us radio guys were terrible at keeping track of 45 sleeves (we'd usually lose them immediately; can you say, "Goodbye, sticker/small print!"), and besides, we usually payed NO attention to such details anyway. If it was something we needed to know, our Arista record rep would always tell us. So, to us, it was a "Monkees" record, because we initially saw the big "Monkees" pic sleeve, and our Arista guy always referred to the record that way himself, while trying to convince us to start playing it! I also have a "standard" Arista promo 45 for this song, with the "correct" artist listing, and NO sticker on the pic sleeve. BOTH of these promo 45s had the EXACT same deadwax info: "ASI-9505-SA 39" on one side, and "ASI-9505-SA 82" on the other, so there was no "rush release" thing going on here. This was simply just an Arista attempt to confuse radio a little, obscuring the details in the name of profit, knowing we'd be MUCH more apt to add a "new track, by the suddenly HOT again Monkees" (due to those nightly MTV sitcom reruns) than we would a new song that simply listed the names of the two involved members. Labels would sometimes try to draw attention to a new release by sending us a blank, white label promo, usually with handwritten song/artist details as the only information, trying to give the release a "hot off the press" feel. Other times, they would send us 45s this way, just to simply make good use of successful "test pressing" 45 copies. Hope I've been able to answer your question, Vanmeter. And I apologize for my earlier, incorrect recollection of "Arista had to change the artist on the 45" post. it is AMAZING what comes back to me when I go back, pull and analyze the original promo 45s!!!!!!

Edited by jimct on 06 October 2007 at 2:13pm

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2007 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

jimct wrote:
And when the "Family Ties" thing happened, Rhino responded to it by putting the song out as a 45, giving the label their only "current" #1 hit. "

Speaking of re-issues, the year 1989 has always fascinated me. Looking back, many old singles came back to the charts that year - Sheriff's "When I'm With You"; Benny Mardones "Into the Night"; Jimmy Harnen & Synch's "Where are you Now"; Moving Pictures "What About Me", and a number of others.

It was interesting reading Billboard and seeing articles on "the next oldie to come back".

Well...even though the next couple of years were still pretty good, music-wise, that was around the time good music started to dwindle (IMHO) - maybe radio didn't have enough good hits and had to look in the "should've been" file!(?)
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2007 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Also add to the list "Send Me An Angel '89" in which the group re-recorded their 1984 smash.

Benny Mardones also re-recorded "Into The Night" that year.

Of course, both songs were on Curb. Seems like a ton on Curb is a re-recording.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My timing information is slightly different than Ed's. I'm getting an actual run time of (4:12) for "At This Moment," which is exactly the same length as what's on the Omigod! box set. I compared the two, and the fade out is exactly the same on both.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

vanmeter
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote vanmeter

jimct wrote:
One thing, though, Vanmeter - Our "sticker" WASN'T stuck to the promo 45 label itself, it was affixed to the pic sleeve; you may wanna check yours again.

Once again, my aging memory takes the cake...you're absolutely right, now that I've gone and looked at mine.
Back to Top View vanmeter's Profile Search for other posts by vanmeter

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version