Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "If U Were Mine" - U-Krew Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 October 2006 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

This one may get a little confusing so please read carefully... Cassette single copies of U-Krew's "If U Were Mine" state "Radio Edit" on the cardboard sleeve. Ed says the version on the cassette single is identical to the one he has on the promo CD single release, which has an actual run time of 4:05. Ed e-mailed me an mp3 of the "Radio Edit" from his promo CD and I compared it to my copy of the U-Krew's self-titled CD/LP where the song runs 4:11. It turns out the "Radio Edit" and the CD/LP version are identical except the "Radio Edit" runs much faster. Now, in addition to not having an actual cassette single to check, my copy of the U-Krew self-titled CD release is a Japanese import and a promo copy to boot (at least one song on this CD appears to have a censored version on it). Otherwise, I believe it is the same as the U.S. release, though I don't know for sure.

So... To sum it all up, can anyone confirm that cassette single copies of "If U Were Mine" are greatly sped up compared to it's CD/LP counterpart, but otherwise the same version?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 14 October 2006 at 11:12am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 December 2006 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I just acquired a used U.S. CD pressing of The U-Krew's self-titled release. I compared "If U Were Mine" on this CD to the "Radio Edit" found on Ed's promo CD single and cassette single. It turns out the CD/LP version runs 4:26 is clearly a different version than the commercial and promo single.

Pat, "If U Were Mine" is listed in the database with a run time of 4:12 on The U-Krew's self-titled CD. You may want to double-check your run time because, again, I come up with 4:26. It's possible I may have a different pressing. The matrix number listed (backwards) on my CD hub is 73524-2.

Unless anyone has any additional information to add, then the database should note that DJ and commercial single copies of this song state "Radio Edit" on the label and run 4:05. The self-titled CD on Enigma 73524 should also include the comment: (LP version).

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 December 2006 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

paul....can i send you the actual cassingle version itself for your review??

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 December 2006 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Yes, please feel free, Ed. Thanks.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 December 2006 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I did check my copy of the U-Krew self titled cd and the matrix number is 73524-2RE-1 and it does run (4:12) so there are two different pressings of this cd. Paul you indicate in your very first post on this thread that you have compared the cassette single to the (4:12) version you found on your Japanse import and they are identical except for speed so the new comment I entered in the database is written based on that assumption.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

Actually, I had initially compared the promo CD single of "If U Were Mine" to the 4:12 version on my Japanese import disc. Ed has since forwarded me an mp3 of his cassette single, which is identical to the promo CD single but actually runs even a couple of seconds faster.

Therefore...

Cassette single run time = 4:03 (states "Radio Edit" on the cardboard sleeve).
Promo CD single run time = 4:05.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 May 2007 at 10:55pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Todd:

A belated "thank you" for exposing that there are two different versions of the U-Krew album w/ their hit, "If U Were Mine". :-) Until your post here, I wasn't previously aware of that...

By the Spring of '90 (when the song was a hit), my interest in then-current music was just starting to wane. I heard that tune, though, and immediately loved it. So I did something that was rather unusual for me at the time: Instead of running out and buying the entire U-Krew album on cassette, I only sprang for the cassette single (still have it to this day); hence, that is the version I've always been accustomed to hearing...

Flash forward 16+ years, and I still hadn't ever acquired "If U Were Mine" on CD, but after reading your post, I knew it was finally time. I just obtained a U.S. pressing of the U-Krew CD through eBay, and it turned out to be an original w/ the (4:26) version of the song and the backward "73524-2" matrix no. on the hub, same as yours. Although it's been a few years now since I last listened to my cassette single, I can tell that this longer version of the song is different, even to my ears, lol...

Next up: Track down that second pressing of the U-Krew CD w/ the (4:12) version and the added "RE-1" on the hub, like Pat's. Do we know which is rarer??? (I'm starting to believe it must be the one Pat has...)

I'm tempted to find that same promo CD single that edtop40 has w/ the (4:05) version on it as well - gee, it would've been nice if Enigma had just thrown all three versions of "If U Were Mine" on a commercial cassette maxi-single or that promo CD single, but alas, I guess it's rarely that easy (*sigh*)...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version