Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: club nouveau "why you treat me so bad" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 October 2006 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

although not in pat's database, it did break the billboard top 40 charts in 1987......question is.....allmusic.com states that there was a 4:11 version, which would match up with the 45's run time, issued as a cd single in 1993 as a backtrax reissue.....it was issued with "lean on me", their big hit as the a-side of the cassingle.......i've never seen this as a cd single.....does anyone remember this being the case or does anyone have this re-issued cassingle format as a cd single??

Edited by edtop40 on 13 October 2006 at 7:41am

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 October 2006 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i just found it on half.com for $2.00....i'll post my findings when i get it...

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2007 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Ed, did you ever receive that "Backtrax" CD/come to a definitive conclusion for this song? The A-side of my commercial 45 has a listed time of (4:11), but an actual time of (4:08). Additionally, the "B" side of my commercial 45 is simply an edited version of the same song (listed time 3:43; actual time 3:42.) Ironically, we received a promo CD sampler to the station around then, and it includes the B-side mix on it, which called it the "7" Version." To further murky the waters, BOTH sides of my promo 45 have the listed (4:11) version on it, further supporting its standing as the official "A" side. Have I heard somewhere that the 45's A-side cannot be recreated from the original "Life, Love & Pain" CD? By the way, on the same sampler I referred to earlier, they also happened to include a "12" Version" of this song. If it's still an "open item", perhaps the 45's A-side can be culled from this 12" mix...

Edited by jimct on 19 October 2007 at 7:54pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 October 2007 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

yes jim....a backtrax cassingle was issued in the early 90's as well as a backtrax cd single, which i bought awhile back.....and, it does contain the proper 45 version running 4:11...if anyone needs the 4:11 version of the song, let me know.....

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 July 2012 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Don't know how tough to find this song is but the proper 45 version can be found on Uptown Saturday Night - Jump To The Beat (Time-Life 22052) which is in the database.

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 July 2022 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Discogs lists exactly one 7" 45 RPM promo for USA radio that is supposedly a "remix / edit" and claims to run 4:01.

This would not be the first time a promo single was labeled improperly in an (alleged) attempt to get radio to consider a single they'd already skipped over.

Does anybody have this specific promo who can determine if it is actually a 4:01 remix or if it's the same 4:08 edit on the stock 7" single?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2022 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Interesting! For what it's worth, the 12" "Club Mix" version was remixed by the "M+M" team (John Morales, Sergei Munzibai), who also receive remix credit on the "Remix / Edit" promo 45 you just linked to. Could definitely be
an edit of the remix.
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 August 2022 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I ordered a copy of the promo 45, and I'll let you know what's on it when it arrives.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

kaqueno
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 August 2022 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote kaqueno

aaronk wrote:
I ordered a copy of the promo 45, and I'll
let you know what's on it when it arrives.

Aaron it would be very interesting for you to tell us about
it and clear up our doubts with this remix/edit, cheers

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 August 2022 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Anxiously awaiting your findings, Aaron!
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 August 2022 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The promo 45 arrived, and it has an edit of the Club Mix. The actual run time is 4:06.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 August 2022 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

...but the Club Mix cannot be edited down to create the Remix/Edit. I just tried it. The first 32 seconds of the 45 are unique, and there is a unique 12-second chorus near the end that is also not found on the 12" mix.

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 August 2022 at 6:11am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Aaron,

There was an additional, even longer 12" remix called the 'Ultimate Nouveau Mix', that was issued on the B-Side of the 12" single. Could the promo "Remix/Edit" be an edit of this
mix
? I ask because there is a longer 5-minute-ish "Radio Edit" from the 12" that is either an edit of this mix or at least borrows some sections from it. Could be the same trickery at play here ;-)

Unfortunately, I've never been able to find the 'Ultimate Nouveau Mix' on CD to work with.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 August 2022 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Is the 12" Radio Edit taken from the Ultimate Nouveau Mix or the Club Mix? I suppose it's possible the Remix/Edit is an even more edited down version of the Radio Edit, but I don't hear any parts in the Ultimate Nouveau Mix that match the promo 45.

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 August 2022 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

I can't remember, to be honest! I tried to create the 5-minute radio edit from the "Club Mix" a few years ago (not knowing the shorter remix/edit existed, even) and gave up after
realizing it wasn't possible, but at the time, I think I heard enough similarities between the sections in the "Radio Edit" that I couldn't locate in the Club Mix and the
Ultimate Nouveau, to think that it was likely an edit of the latter, or a combination of both. I may have been wrong, though. I was working on the fly with this one and didn't keep
any notes.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 August 2022 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I have a 12" copy at storage, likely unplayed, so I'll grab it when I head over there.

Regarding the Remix/Edit, the sections from 0:00-0:32 and 3:34-3:46 are unique. The sections from 0:32-3:34 and 3:46-4:06 are taken directly from the Club Mix.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 August 2022 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm spinning the 12" single right now, and the intro of the 5:33 Radio Edit exactly matches the promo 45 Remix/Edit. Overall, most of the mix matches the Club Mix, but there are some unique sections as noted.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 August 2022 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

After an A/B, I can confirm the shorter Remix/Edit is taken from the 12" Radio Edit, so the unique parts on the Remix/Edit are all found on the Radio Edit. The Radio Edit uses more of the Club Mix toward the end, which is what accounts for most of the additional 1.5-minutes between the two versions. The Radio Edit also runs slower and has an extra 8 beats on the intro, which are unique to the Radio Edit.

In other words…
0:00 to 0:37 of 12" Radio Edit are unique
0:37 to 3:42 use Club Mix
3:42 to 3:54 of 12" Radio Edit are unique
3:54 to end use Club Mix

The Remix/Edit is sped up by approximately 1.5% and removes 0:02 to 0:07 and 4:00 to 5:18 of the 12" Radio Edit.

There are probably only three people in the universe that needed this information.

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 August 2022 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Thank you for your service!!

As a #2 R&B hit in BB, I’m sure it’s beloved to more folks than its meager
Hot 100 peak would indicate!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version