Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Neil Diamond non-top 40 singles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 October 2006 at 12:47am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I'm making up a Neil Diamond compilation CDR (two volumes) right now, and I was wondering -- does anyone know of any single (or dj single) versions/lengths for any of Neil's singles that didn't make the top 40? I'm especially interested in the '70s and '80s ones.

One that comes to mind is "I Dreamed a Dream", which is radically different from the album version. The single version is a studio version, and the album version is live.

Does anyone know anything about any differences for these non-top 40 singles:

Beautiful Noise
Don't Think ... Feel
Say Maybe
Front Page Story
Turn Around
Sleep with Me Tonight
You Make it Feel Like Christmas
The Story of My Life
This Time
The Best Years of Our Lives
If There Were No Dreams

And if anyone could confirm that the single was the same as the album version, that would be helpful, too. Thanks.

Edited by EdisonLite on 04 October 2006 at 12:49am
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

With Jim's help, I've determined the following info about 4 of the above singles:

These 2 have single edits:
Don't Think ... Feel
Front Page Story

These 2 don't:
Turn Around

Edited by EdisonLite on 31 January 2011 at 10:43am
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote Gary

I have a Long version of "You Make It Feel Like Christmas" that ends cold at 3:50. It is labeled the Album Version. I also have another copy of this song that I received around 1992 that ends cold at 3:33.

There is an edit of "Story Of My Life", if fades at 3:36.

"This Time" the edit fades at 3:46
"The Best Years Of Our Lives" might be an edit, it has a running time of about 3:53.

I hope this helps.

EdisonLite wrote:
With Jim's help, I've determined the following about 4 of the above singles:

These 2 have single edits:
Don't Think ... Feel
Front Page Story

These 2 don't:
Turn Around
Back to Top View Gary's Profile Search for other posts by Gary

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

With Gary's help (I had asked him to send me the single versions of 3 Neil songs), I now can provide the following info:

<I have a Long version of "You Make It Feel Like Christmas" that ends cold at 3:50. It is labeled the Album Version.>

This is indeed the album version from 1985's "Primitive". This is the version that charted on the Billboard AC chart in 1985 and peaked at #28. It is my belief that there was no edit of the original (1985) version.

<I also have another copy of this song that I received around 1992 that ends cold at 3:33.>

This is the version Gary sent me, and it's Neil's re-recording of the song, done in 1992 for Neil's "Christmas Album." Unlike the original, this one never charted.

<There is an edit of "Story Of My Life", if fades at 3:36.>

The version Gary sent me actually ends at 3:39 and is the identical to the album version. If Gary sent the single version, I conclude the single and album versions are identical.

<"This Time" the edit fades at 3:46 >

The version Gary sent me actually ends at 3:51 and is the identical to the album version. If Gary sent the single version, I conclude the single and album versions are identical.

Therefore, there were no edits done on any of these singles, even if the promo singles might include the word "edit".

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote Gary

I have "Story Of My Life" clocking in at 4:05 on the album.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I have "Story of My Life" clocking in at 3:39 on the "Headed For the Future" CD (and the box set CD). But I don't have the LP. It seems strange that for the "Headed For the Future" CD of the album, the record label would go to the trouble of using a shorter edit for the CD instead of using the album master. Gary, Can you compare your 4:05 vinyl LP version with the 3:39 edit you sent me on CD and determine what part was edited out? How strange that the CD of the album doesn't contain the album length!

Edited by EdisonLite on 13 November 2006 at 6:42pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

P.S. The other single from this LP (the 1st single, "Headed for the Future") clocks in at exactly 4:05 according to the backpage insert.

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote Gary

EdisonLite wrote:
I have "Story of My Life" clocking in at 3:39 on the "Headed For the Future" CD (and the box set CD). But I don't have the LP. It seems strange that for the "Headed For the Future" CD of the album, the record label would go to the trouble of using a shorter edit for the CD instead of using the album master. Gary, Can you compare your 4:05 vinyl LP version with the 3:39 edit you sent me on CD and determine what part was edited out? How strange that the CD of the album doesn't contain the album length!

I had a promo copy of this album in vinyl, but of course I can' find it. So I went to all access and they list the time of The Story Of My Life as 4:05.

Maybe someone else can let us know what they find on our vinyl lp.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I checked the "Headed For the Future" CD on allmusic.com (which I'm guessing is similar to allaccess) and it lists "Story of My Life" as track 1 and at 4:05, as you say. However, if you click the icon to play the song you'll see it plays the title song "Headed for the Future", which is Track 1 on the actual CD and clocks in at 4:05.

If you play track 7 it lists the song as "Me Beside You" but actually plays "Story of My Life" (which, incidentally is Track 7 on the actual CD) and lists the time as 3:41 (and as I mentioned, my "Story" clocks in at 3:39. And has 2 seconds of silence to bring the total to 3:41.)

My guess is that allmusic.com and allaccess simply mismatched the song titles with the actual songs.

Gary, did you think "Story" runs 4:05 for any other reason other than the time listed on these websites (i.e. do you recall hearing 2 lengths for this song?)

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 November 2006 at 2:51am | IP Logged Quote Gary

EdisonLite wrote:

My guess is that allmusic.com and allaccess simply mismatched the song titles with the actual songs.

Gary, did you think "Story" runs 4:05 for any other reason other than the time listed on these websites (i.e. do you recall hearing 2 lengths for this song?)

OK, I made a note on my book I keep my music organized on that I have the 4:05 version on vinyl. I'm thinking perhaps that when I got the cd version in I marked down the time from allmusic that I had the LP version on vinyl. This was some years ago. My mistake not to double check this. And I did mean allmusic not allaccess. I've got to double check my typing before I send these off!

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 January 2011 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Wanted to inquire about 2 of the tracks on Gordon's original list, since I'm working on some Neil Diamond tracks today.

"Say Maybe" - 45 label says 3:55 / digital length is 4:07.

"Beautiful Noise" - 45 label says 3:14 / digital length is 3:26 or so.

Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 January 2011 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Here's what my "Beautiful Noise" DJ 45 states:

Mono "short version" side is listed as (3:05), intro time :09

Stereo "long version" side is listed as (3:14), intro time :18

Edited by Yah Shure on 30 January 2011 at 2:14pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2011 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

In regards to "Beautiful Noise", I suspected from John's DJ 45 timing that the edits were in the intro. Looks like I am correct.

Turns out, the stereo DJ/commercial 45 version is on the In My Lifetime box set.

To create the mono DJ 45, simply edit out an additional 9 seconds from the 3:14 version.

"Say Maybe" runs about 2 seconds slower than the LP, and is simply an earlier fade to 3:55.

Edited by eriejwg on 05 February 2011 at 4:08pm
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 February 2019 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

"Don't Think...Feel" is a catchy tune that just missed hitting the top 40 in 1976. Too bad it never gets included on any of the dozens of compilations released the last three decades on CD. All I've seen is the LP version and never the 45 edit.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version