Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Movin’ Out" - Billy Joel Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 September 2006 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

There's a detailed conversation regarding Billy Joel's "Movin' Out" going on right now in the "Piano Man" 45 version makes CD debut thread, so I thought it might be helpful for future reference purposes to begin a separate thread regarding the "Movin' Out" discussion. Here's what's been posted about the song so far in the "Piano Man" thread:

EdisonLite wrote:
Are there any differences between [the two commercial 45 releases of Billy Joel's "Movin' Out" on catalog numbers] 10624 and 10708? Does the first one lack the car engine sound and the second one have it?

I had no idea "Movin' Out" was the first single. One of the biggest albums of the '70s and the first single first bombed! How many months before "Just the Way You Are" was "Movin' Out" released, and was it before the LP was even released?

jimct wrote:
Gordon: I have never heard a "Movin' Out" 45 with the car engine sound, but I don't have the Columbia 10624 to check against. "The Stranger" LP debuted on Billboard on 10/9/77, before the initial release of "Movin' Out", as best as I can tell. FYI, Earth, Wind & Fire's anxiously awaited 1st 45 in about a year, "Serpentine Fire" was the next sequentially released Columbia 45, 10625, and debuted on Billboard on 10/29/77. While labels don't ALWAYS release 45 exactly sequentially, it seems likely the Columbia 10624 release of "Movin' Out" was during the same week, about 3 weeks after "The Stranger" LP entered Billboard. It is strange to say this, but at this time it had been more than 3 1/2 years since the #25 hit "Piano Man", and nearly 3 years since his #34 hit, "The Entertainer." Billy Joel was VERY much a struggling Columbia artist at this time, who was VERY badly in need of a hit song. "Just The Way You Are" was just 21 numbers away, sequentially, from the initial "Movin' Out" 45 release, at Columbia 10646, and debuted just 2 weeks later than EWF, on 11/12/77. Two weeks is a highly unusual and short amount of time between an artist's 45 releases. When this does occur, it is normally done because radio would tell the Columbia label reps, who are calling us to try to get us to play the "Movin' Out" 45, something like, "You know, ___________, we're not too impressed with the "Movin' Out" 45, but WE think that the song off the album, "Just The Way You Are", is a smash! THAT should've been the single!" Billy's career was at a MAJOR crossroads here. I was still a year away from personally working in Top 40 at this point, but similar scenarios are not uncommon in the world of Top 40. Columbia seemed to quickly react, change course, and gave Top 40 the track that RADIO preferred - turned out to be his first gold single. And Billy's been a superstar artist ever since. The Columbia 10708 re-release of "Movin' Out" debuted on Billboard on 3/18/78. From the first time my local station played it, I heard them play the LP version, with the car engine sound. Personally, I always thought it was one of the best parts of the song. To this day, I have NEVER heard "Movin' Out" on the radio WITHOUT hearing the car engine SFX - in other words, the 45 version.

EdisonLite wrote:
Thanks Jim.

cmmmbase wrote:
both 45 releases of Movin' Out do not feature the car fx..

chendagam wrote:
I agree that The car engine sound is the most important part of that song. It sounds so weird without it. I'm anal about playing 45 versions on my personal radio station so I play the one without it. Why do you think radio stations played the LP version when the "rule" was usually to play the single version.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2006 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Hey, Jim:

Fascinating input as always! Is there any chance you might have a DJ 45 copy of "Movin' Out" with the car engine sound effect at the end? I'm wondering if this version might have appeared on the A or B-side of a "Movin' Out" promo 45 release that contained the version without the sound effect on the flip side.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 09 September 2006 at 9:04am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2006 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Excellent question, Todd. I have 2 copies of the Columbia 10708 promo 45. I have just checked both the mono/stereo sides of both copies, just to be sure - no car engine sfx is found on EITHER side of either 10708 promo copy. To speculate on Chendagam's question, he is correct that the 45 version has the early, inside track on getting radio airplay. I just believe this was one of those rare times where Columbia just made an obviously poor edit choice. They removed what many radio folks perceived to be the KEY element of the song. But, having been sent the LP as well, radio could easily "right the wrong", by just dubbing/playing it off the LP. Also, that Columbia/styrene thing was ALWAYS in play at our radio station. I remember 2 years later, in 1979, Columbia sent us approx. 6 styrene promo 45s for Rex Smith's "You Take My Breath Away", and an LP as well. We didn't like the way the soft piano intro popped and crackled on ALL of the 45 copies, so we just dubbed it off of the LP. With Columbia, this was a COMMON issue for us. We'd have a "standard, knee-jerk" reaction - we even played the longer, cold-ending LP version of "Lovin, Touchin', Sueezin'" for this reason - generally, we'd try to avoid dubbing/playing a song off a Columbia styrene 45, even it if meant playing a SLIGHTLY different or longer mix. We did the same for Neil Diamond's "September Morn" - we played the LP version, with the piano intro, for this reason alone. We didn't always do it, though. For the Manhattans' "Shining Star", we decided to play copy after copy of the 45, since the LP version's ending ran about a FULL minute longer, while just going on and on.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2006 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

My simple thought as to why radio played the car version is because radio already had the LP on hand. They put the LP version on the cart, or cued up the lead-off track, and went.
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 September 2006 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

jimct wrote:
With Columbia, this was a COMMON issue for us. We'd have a "standard, knee-jerk" reaction - we even played the longer, cold-ending LP version of "Lovin, Touchin', Sueezin'" for this reason - generally, we'd try to avoid dubbing/playing a song off a Columbia styrene 45, even it if meant playing a SLIGHTLY different or longer mix.

I know what you mean about Columbia - I have many 45s (both promo and commercial) which look like they're on styrene. Luckily they all still play OK - but if there's just a pop or two here and there it usually doesn't bother me. Columbia is the label that had the most chart hits on Billboard - you'd figure they'd want their pressings to be of better quality - especially the ones played on radio. Oh well.

Were there two 45s for "Lovin Touchin Squeezin"? I've got both a promo and commercial copy. They both state a 3:44 running time, and they both end COLD.
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 September 2006 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

torcan wrote:

Were there two 45s for "Lovin Touchin Squeezin"? I've got both a promo and commercial copy. They both state a 3:44 running time, and they both end COLD.

Somewhere in another thread there's some info about a 45 version of "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'" that fades out at the end.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 September 2006 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

I've never had an issue with styrene pressings. They play better than some of my vinyl pressings.
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 September 2006 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Grant wrote:
I've never had an issue with styrene pressings. They play better than some of my vinyl pressings.

Ditto....especially with some of the indie labels that pressed on really cheap vinyl.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The printed time for "Movin' Out" is (3:30), but the actual time is (3:38). Just a tad bit more info for the database. The extra 10 seconds when compared with the LP version is a slightly longer fade.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

EdisonLite wrote:
Are there any differences between [the two commercial 45 releases of Billy Joel's "Movin' Out" on catalog numbers] 10624 and 10708? Does the first one lack the car engine sound and the second one have it?

I had no idea "Movin' Out" was the first single. One of the biggest albums of the '70s and the first single first bombed! How many months before "Just the Way You Are" was "Movin' Out" released, and was it before the LP was even released?

jimct wrote:
Gordon: I have never heard a "Movin' Out" 45 with the car engine sound, but I don't have the Columbia 10624 to check against.
(some snippage)
From the first time my local station played it, I heard them play the LP version, with the car engine sound. Personally, I always thought it was one of the best parts of the song. To this day, I have NEVER heard "Movin' Out" on the radio WITHOUT hearing the car engine SFX - in other words, the 45 version.

I have a promo copy of the 10624 release, and it does not have the car sfx at the end.

I personally prefer the 45 version without the "peel out" at the end...to me it always sounded tacked on & superfluous. I don't recall hearing the album version on the radio very much back when it was current, though that's all you hear now.

Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Ron S
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 February 2019 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote Ron S

So to this day the 45 version has not appeared on any CD?

Edited by Ron S on 10 February 2019 at 8:14am
Back to Top View Ron S's Profile Search for other posts by Ron S

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 February 2019 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

And good chance it never will (thanks to Billy himself who is not a big fan of any of his 45 edits and/or versions).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version